Technical assistance back in the day

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Technical assistance back in the day

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Only after 8-9 months, I took the keyboard membrane of my Spectrum Plus to be repaired :dance

Keyboard membranes seemed a very common problem back in the day, but... there was any other problem in your Spectrum that made you call for technical assistance?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Technical assistance back in the day

Post by 1024MAK »

The location key in a joystick interface edge-connector came out and I did not notice. So when it was next plugged in, it did not correctly align. That killed the rubber key 48K Speccy :( :twisted:

However, my dad took it back to the shop where it had been bought (it was still under warranty) and it got repaired. It was reliable for many years after that.

Eventually the keyboard membrane started causing problems. So I bought a dk’tronics keyboard.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

I seem to remember returning my 48k Speccy to Boots around six times with various issues - all bar one were simply replaced there and then without question, with the last being sent away for repair for a week or two. The final one I still have.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

I killed a ZX Printer that I'd bought from Mr Micro (in Swinton Manchester) by unplugging it when it was still powered on. I took it into Mr Micro and they said they'd have to send it to Sinclair for repair and it would take about 6 weeks...after 8 weeks It was still a no show so I went in there with my dad and they gave me a new printer. Obviously I didn't tell them I caused the problem.

Another place I used was Video Vault in Manchester, I took my speccy there for black screen or something like that, they fixed it in about 1hr for 19.99 flat fee.