Adding images

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Adding images

Post by Ralf »

Is it possible here on forum to add images directly to your posts? I mean store them here, not outside.

I believe that it is possible with this forum engine but may be either enabled or disabled.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Adding images

Post by PeterJ »

Hello Ralf,

You are right in saying this is possible in phpBB and we have allowed it for avatars, but we won't be enabling it for image posts. Mainly because of disk space and maintaining server security.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Thanks for answer.

In such case maybe some sticked post explaining how to add some image to your post would be helpful. I know how to do it but I'm pretty sure that not everybody knows.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ralf wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm Thanks for answer.

In such case maybe some sticked post explaining how to add some image to your post would be helpful. I know how to do it but I'm pretty sure that not everybody knows.
Good idea. We will do that.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ralf,

I have looked again at your question and have come across an extension which I have installed for people to test. Under the message window you will see in blue text 'Add image to post'. Click that and you can then upload an image to 'PostImage' and display it in your post.

I'm testing it in this post and it seems to work fine. Just remember that the images are not stored on the Spectrum Computing Server.

When using the PostImage service you should read their terms and conditions to ensure you are happy to comply with these.

Can you let us know how you get on.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Good idea.

Precisely Postimage is the site I usually use to upload pics, and works fine.
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

Just my 5c, but I've tried it and I don't think this is a good extension. For one, it uses this annoying sort of google-captcha that tends to repeat itself 2 or 3 times until it clicks. But mostly the fact that the kind of link it inserts actually only shows the reduced thumbnail, not the full image as one'd normally expect. You have to visit their site by clicking on it in order to even find out what the correct link is.

Inactive account
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Whenever I upload a pic on Postimage, no need to log in nor captchas, just click on 'choose image' and when uploaded the site gives you some links. just use 'direct link' to be used in any place. This will give you the same size displayed.

EDIT:

Itried the forum option:

... and then as I usually do ('manually' as I explained above, very easy to use) and this is the result:

That's the same pic. So I think the option the forum provides should be improved.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi,

I agree its not perfect, but having looked around its the only extension of its kind. Its still useful for users who want a simple solution and it also works well on mobile.

If anyone sees any currently maintained phpBB extensions that may be suitable let the team know and we can test them.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Anyway, I realized the current option is not that bad, as if you click on the pick a new folder is opened with the aumented image.