Sat Track

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Sat Track

Post by Andre Leao »

Preserved...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... k-mia.html

PROCESSED
New ID created (ID: 39043). TZX and screen added. DH 02/01/22
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Re: Sat Track

Post by smurphboy »

Love this. It has a phone number to ring for the orbital updates! As a licensed amateur radio operator, I quite fancy updating this for the next / esxDOS machines using .http to pull the orbit data.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

smurphboy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:35 pm Love this. It has a phone number to ring for the orbital updates! As a licensed amateur radio operator, I quite fancy updating this for the next / esxDOS machines using .http to pull the orbit data.
I'm glad this still makes sense to people here! This is uMIA from G4RWT. I didn't know if we even still had amateur radio. All I can tell from this is that it somehow tracked old, now kaput, satellites Radio Sputnik 5 - 9 and Oscar 1 (Uni of Surrey).

Any chance you could give a duffer's guide guide to how this program worked, how would it have been used, and in what way would the Speccy have been involved?
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

You can predict a satellite's position from its orbital elements and lots of maths (computers are good at maths :lol:).

This works well for things like the moon, but small things in low orbits get pulled around a lot and get slowed down by the atmosphere, so the orbital parameters change hence needing updates.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:31 pm All I can tell from this is that it somehow tracked old, now kaput, satellites Radio Sputnik 5 - 9 and Oscar 1 (Uni of Surrey).
RADIO 5-9 are still in orbit, OSCAR 9 (not 1) re-entered in 1989
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

eheh, great you both enjoyed! :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:43 pm You can predict a satellite's position from its orbital elements and lots of maths (computers are good at maths :lol:).

This works well for things like the moon, but small things in low orbits get pulled around a lot and get slowed down by the atmosphere, so the orbital parameters change hence needing updates.
Cheers. I'm slightly the wiser. I assumed this involved hardware rather than 'just' calculating from inputted data, but after you explained I see there are no INs or OUTs in the code.

So could this still be used? And how well would it work compared to contemporary alternatives (don your Spec-friendly tinted glasses please). Having said that this copy of the program exits to BASIC a lot, so bugs may have come in during copying (or been there in the first place!).
Guesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:57 pm RADIO 5-9 are still in orbit,
So are they still active, or they just haven't re-entered yet? And are they Radio Sputnik?
OSCAR 9 (not 1) re-entered in 1989
Sheesh another one I'll never live down. It's almost as bad as when I suggested that Class 45 locos were on the Scottish line :oops:
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:22 pm So could this still be used? And how well would it work compared to contemporary alternatives (don your Spec-friendly tinted glasses please).
I was just trying to figure out the orbital elements to update it :lol:
Compared to just looking on one of the million satellite tracking websites that give you a pretty map and details for your exact location... not very well ;)
R-Tape wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:22 pm So are they still active, or they just haven't re-entered yet? And are they Radio Sputnik?
They are amateur radio satellites and no longer functioning, so tracking them's a bit academic, though I suppose you could hack new names into the menu and enter the orbital data of newer ones, but that would be extremely pointless and nerdy.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Guesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:43 pm hence needing updates.
(that and the software thinking year 23 comes before 83 for some silly reason, tsk eh!)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 pm extremely pointless and nerdy.
That's exactly what I come here for. Get to it man!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:44 pm (that and the software thinking year 23 comes before 83 for some silly reason, tsk eh!)
Heh yep. It looks like this was made in 1983, so G4RWT were either fans of the millenium bug or they'd taken Orwell's 1984 to heart.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

To be fair, the orbital elements are still specified by a two digit year now. Since no artificial satellite existed before 1957, earlier numbers must be in the future and it's all good until 2056 when Somebody Else will have to Deal With It :)
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Guesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 pm They are amateur radio satellites and no longer functioning, so tracking them's a bit academic, though I suppose you could hack new names into the menu and enter the orbital data of newer ones, but that would be extremely pointless and nerdy.
I fully intend to do this. perhaps using .http from esxDOS for the Next or Spectranet machines...
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

G4WRT has a profile on QRZ.com, so may well still be with us...
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Nowadays you'd want ISS, SO-50, AO-91, AO-73 and QO-100, although QO-100 is pretty easy ;-)

Or the Weather Sats like Meteor-M2 or NOAA 19
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Can anyone get this to actually make correct predictions? I spent a while last night trying to enter keps for the ISS etc and it would get some handful of the times vaguely close but wildly wrong bearings and elevation, suggesting it's more luck than science.
I don't really want to step through all the calculations in BASin to reverse engineer it :lol:
You've thoroughly nerd sniped me here you basts :D
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

My guess is that it doesn't have leap years quite right... so try + - 1 day and see if that is closer?
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Would probably be easier to just start over and write a new one in C that takes two line elements for all the current sats and works for any location... Aaargh I mustn't!
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

smurphboy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:13 pm My guess is that it doesn't have leap years quite right... so try + - 1 day and see if that is closer?
I can't see how that should matter (or rather that's a problem for later) as it can't predict the orbits immediately after the reference it's been given. Whatever error it has in its date/time frame should be the same in both the orbit and the output passes. Unless I've completely misunderstood how it works
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

I think it's got orbital parameters or something hard coded in - it does different things with the RS and OSCAR sats to decide if they're "out of range" and calculate azimuth etc. so changing the period to the ISS was never going to work.

But it also doesn't work for the four remaining original satellites either 🤷‍♂️
Would have to go through line by line working out what all the variables mean and then checking its calculations. That's too much work for me :P
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

I might just make a front end to something like the n2yo.com API. Although I'd have to bridge https to http for the speccy.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

That's cheating though! :lol:

You can download the TLE keps in plain http from http://www.amsat.org/tle/current/nasabare.txt ;)
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Good luck converting TLE's into predictions in reasonable time ;-)

Although that wouldn't be 'as cheaty' - I should get my old text books out...
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

smurphboy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:10 pm Good luck converting TLE's into predictions in reasonable time ;-)
Why? That's surely what this software attempts to do, in a roundabout way.
It's not exactly exactly the same format, but as far as I can make out it's the same data. The TLE format is derived from punch card data. Calculating keplerian orbits shouldn't tax a modern computer like the speccy! :lol:
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

Guesser wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:27 pm Calculating keplerian orbits shouldn't tax a modern computer like the speccy! :lol:
Keplerian orbits aren't what you use, they only model two bodies (Earth and the satellite) and rapidly depart from the actual orbit. You need model it as a three body problem and estimate drag. This means numerical methods and I'm trying to find an approach that might work on a speccy.

The standard perturbation algorithms used like SGP4 / SDP4 won't really be computable on a base speccy in real time.

I have found a paper that models drag but might work on a slower machine - like a Spectrum Next.