Testing emulators using z80test-1.0. Quick results

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Magnus
Dizzy

Re: Testing emulators using z80test-1.0. Quck results

Post by Magnus »

druellan wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 pm
Magnus wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 5:58 pm May I add the results for SoftSpectrum48 (it was a pain though :geek: ):
Nice work. I'm testing your emulator and I can say it looks promising. It plays the Gyroscope music quite well, something not all emulators are able to do.
Thanks :). Gyroscope is tough - Fuse plays it better (as does Spectramine and probably many others).
My ZX Spectrum emulator project: https://softspectrum48.weebly.com.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

druellan wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 pm Nice work. I'm testing your emulator and I can say it looks promising. It plays the Gyroscope music quite well, something not all emulators are able to do.
I can't hear any specially hard to emulate on Gyroscope music. It's a simple tune, really. From my POV emulate Fairlight, Sidewize, Cobra, Mad Mix Game musics or the digitized voice in Cobra's Arc is hardest than Gyroscope tune.
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

zx81 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:34 am
druellan wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 pm Nice work. I'm testing your emulator and I can say it looks promising. It plays the Gyroscope music quite well, something not all emulators are able to do.
I can't hear any specially hard to emulate on Gyroscope music. It's a simple tune, really. From my POV emulate Fairlight, Sidewize, Cobra, Mad Mix Game musics or the digitized voice in Cobra's Arc is hardest than Gyroscope tune.
Well, maybe not, but my emulator stutters a bit when playing the Gyroscope music, though it seems to be doing fine with most other games. I gave Cobra's Arc a try and it sounded terrible, but I'm not quite sure how it should sound (I have no hardware to check against).

Edit: Sorry about taking this off topic. :oops:
My ZX Spectrum emulator project: https://softspectrum48.weebly.com.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

zx81 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:34 am I can't hear any specially hard to emulate on Gyroscope music. It's a simple tune, really. From my POV emulate Fairlight, Sidewize, Cobra, Mad Mix Game musics or the digitized voice in Cobra's Arc is hardest than Gyroscope tune.
Well, in my experience there is always something off on Melbourne's music system, and specially on Gyroscope, mainly because it's a tune a remember well. The melody pops on some emulators, and sometimes there is a distinctive hi-pitch sound on the background. Even FUSE used to have problems with this (now, much better), and I use SpecEmu as reference.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oh, and I agree about Odin's music system: Robin of the Woods, for example, it's a nightmare, that pops even on real hardware.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Magnus wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:24 pm Well, maybe not, but my emulator stutters a bit when playing the Gyroscope music, though it seems to be doing fine with most other games. I gave Cobra's Arc a try and it sounded terrible, but I'm not quite sure how it should sound (I have no hardware to check against).
SpecEmu is a good reference.
Magnus wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:24 pm Edit: Sorry about taking this off topic. :oops:
I don't think it is offtopic at all, and even better if this helps to improve the emulation quality of any project!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Cobra’s Arc and Gryroscope seem to be using the Wham! engine for their music.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Hernan
Drutt

Post by Hernan »

Not technically an emulator, but I've run the tests on my ZX-Uno (v4.1 crowdfund, latest EXP26 core) and my Next board (Issue 2A, latest v.1.10.31 core).

ZX-Uno:

23/152 failed

ZX Spectrum Next:

24/152 failed

To be fair, I epected much better results... :?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hernan wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:58 pm Not technically an emulator
Yes, both the ZX-Uno and the Spectrum Next are technically emulators. Hardware emulators (well, hardware+firmware). Neither perfectly emulates the Z80 CPU nor the Spectrum itself.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Wow, I'm definitely surprised that the Next failed so many tests! Are there any major revisions expected in the future?
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

djnzx48 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:05 pm Wow, I'm definitely surprised that the Next failed so many tests! Are there any major revisions expected in the future?
If I remember correctly, the Next uses the ZX-Uno Spectrum core, modified and not published the sources. So, the last ZX-Uno sources aren't published, until the Next team publish his modifications. A really dirty behaviour.

Modify a VHDL synthetisation is harder than modify a C, C++ or Java sources. So, the ZX-Uno Spectrum differs from the original at some points. Nothing serious, but isn't perfect. At this moment, I guess that software emulators are more precise than FPGAs synthetisations. That can change in the future, of course.

P.D.: I have a ZX-Uno v4.2 too...
Hernan
Drutt

Post by Hernan »

BTW, to have a "control subject" I've run the tests on my real Issue 6A 48K Speccy, and fails 1 test (001 SCF)

zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Hernan wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:58 pm BTW, to have a "control subject" I've run the tests on my real Issue 6A 48K Speccy, and fails 1 test (001 SCF)
What Z80 CPU model have your Issue 6A?
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Is this a NMOS vs CMOS difference?
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
cthutu
Drutt

Post by cthutu »

I ran the tests on my emulator, Nx.

cthutu
Drutt

Post by cthutu »

zx81 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:27 pm
djnzx48 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:05 pm Wow, I'm definitely surprised that the Next failed so many tests! Are there any major revisions expected in the future?
If I remember correctly, the Next uses the ZX-Uno Spectrum core, modified and not published the sources. So, the last ZX-Uno sources aren't published, until the Next team publish his modifications. A really dirty behaviour.

Modify a VHDL synthetisation is harder than modify a C, C++ or Java sources. So, the ZX-Uno Spectrum differs from the original at some points. Nothing serious, but isn't perfect. At this moment, I guess that software emulators are more precise than FPGAs synthetisations. That can change in the future, of course.

The ZX Spectrum Next doesn't use any part of ZX-Uno at all. This is very inaccurate statement that is, unfortunately, being spread around by misinformed people. There are aspects of the Next FPGA code that is based on open cores (like the T80), but none from ZX-Uno.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

cthutu wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm
zx81 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:27 pm If I remember correctly, the Next uses the ZX-Uno Spectrum core, modified and not published the sources. So, the last ZX-Uno sources aren't published, until the Next team publish his modifications. A really dirty behaviour.

The ZX Spectrum Next doesn't use any part of ZX-Uno at all. This is very inaccurate statement that is, unfortunately, being spread around by misinformed people. There are aspects of the Next FPGA code that is based on open cores (like the T80), but none from ZX-Uno.
I can't say anything by myself. These "misinformed people" are some ZX-Uno members. Probably, they have some reason to claim such thing.
cthutu
Drutt

Post by cthutu »

zx81 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm
cthutu wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm The ZX Spectrum Next doesn't use any part of ZX-Uno at all. This is very inaccurate statement that is, unfortunately, being spread around by misinformed people. There are aspects of the Next FPGA code that is based on open cores (like the T80), but none from ZX-Uno.
I can't say anything by myself. These "misinformed people" are some ZX-Uno members. Probably, they have some reason to claim such thing.
Unfortunately, they have no reason. Some of them have asserted, incorrectly, that some of the code has been copied from ZX-Uno. I think this started when ULANext was added, which is similar to ULAplus. But no code was copied. None of the members have seen the code used on the Next, and I talk daily with people that do see the code.

I will also add that the sources have not been published since the final machine has not been released. All sources will be published when that happens. This is to stop lots of Next forks occurring before the KS backers get their hands on one.
Hernan
Drutt

Post by Hernan »

zx81 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:33 pm What Z80 CPU model have your Issue 6A?
It's a SGS made one:

cthutu
Drutt

Post by cthutu »

Thanks for this thread! After testing, I decided to fix my Z80. I added the flag 3/5 behaviour for SCF and CCF, and fixed the flags bug in my RLA instruction. I now have this result:

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hernan wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:56 pm It's a SGS made one:
SCF/CCF flags seems to be a little nightmare on CPUs that are not genuine Zilog.

I've found the original Patrik Rak thread 2012, where he was experimenting with this tests: https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... ent/669314
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hernan wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:56 pm
zx81 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:33 pm What Z80 CPU model have your Issue 6A?
It's a SGS made one:

AB1 is an NMOS chip, as far as I know.

Could you run this little test on your Spectrum and tell us the color of the border you see? (If you have several Spectrums, even better!)

Hernan
Drutt

Post by Hernan »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:34 am Could you run this little test on your Spectrum and tell us the color of the border you see? (If you have several Spectrums, even better!)
Didn't take a picture, but it was a black border.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hernan wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:43 am
Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:34 am Could you run this little test on your Spectrum and tell us the color of the border you see? (If you have several Spectrums, even better!)
Didn't take a picture, but it was a black border.
It’s an NMOS Z80 then.

RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Hernan wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:58 pm BTW, to have a "control subject" I've run the tests on my real Issue 6A 48K Speccy, and fails 1 test (001 SCF)
Which specific Z80 CPU brand is in your 48K computer ?

Also,which tests have you run ?
Only the full ?
wht about the other tests ?