ZX Spectrum Issue 1

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
agrn
Drutt

ZX Spectrum Issue 1

Post by agrn »

Hi all.

I have been clearing out my old stuff and found an issue one (it's printed on the motherboard) ZX Spectrum.
I've seen other Spectums with a serial number stamped on the bottom of the case, but mine doesn't have one.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Or does it make it less valuable?

Also, what do I need to test it's working? Does it have to be connected to a UHF TV?
I haven't used these old computers since my ZX81.
The only screen I have is a VGA monitor. I don't suppose there's a cable/converter which I could use...?

I was thinking of putting this stuff on ebay, but would prefer it to go to someone here who might appreiciate it more.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
agrn
Drutt

Re: ZX Spectrum Issue 1

Post by agrn »

hatman72
Drutt

Post by hatman72 »

What you have there (a 128K Toastrack and an issue 1 motherboard) are both worth serious money, so don’t pass them on to someone without checking the value first. I suspect the Spanish numeric keypad is also worth something.

The fact that the issue 1 board is not in its original case will mean that it loses a bit of value but the board itself will still be worth quite a lot.

You will obviously get more if they are both working but it will be a risk turning them on and you would need a UHF connection to test the 48K. You can modify to output composite but personally I would not trust myself with such a rare board.

If you want the most money put them on eBay separately, if you want them to go to a good home I would advise asking for a valuation on the ‘Sinclair for Sale’ Facebook group.
drdivago
Dizzy

Post by drdivago »

Let's not forget the Spectrum has also an original 32KB RAM extension, those are not common either... ;)
agrn
Drutt

Post by agrn »

Interesting. I did wonder what that board was. Thanks.
agrn
Drutt

Post by agrn »

Thanks @hatman72. I'll have a look at that Facebook group too.