Games with attract mode?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
gabriele amore
Microbot

Games with attract mode?

Post by gabriele amore »

Do you know of any (good one)?
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: Games with attract mode?

Post by Vampyre »

I've never played it on the Speccy but does Virus (Firebird)? I know it certainly did on the ST. I recall reading, many years ago and I've no idea if it's true or not, that the original Archimedes attract mode taught itself how to play the game. So if you left it for a few hours it would be like an expert playing it.

I take that with a pinch of salt. I expect it's about as true as the rumour the Archimedes version being written in BASIC.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Spectipede has a decent (for the time and RAM) attract mode - the whole presentation really captures the vibe of an early arcade cab.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

"Hudson Soft" Games like:

Vegetable Crash
Frog Shooter
Driller Tanks
Cannon Ball
Stop the Express

clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Everyone's a Wally shows the characters wandering around the town. My Mum and me saw it running in the window of WHSmiths and thought it looked terrific, so we 'enquired within' about what the game was and came away with a copy.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Perhaps we should have a tag in ZXDB for "attract mode"?
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:41 pm Perhaps we should have a tag in ZXDB for "attract mode"?
Only issue I can see with that is what qualifies.

Some games will have a fair bit of randomness in a mode like that (ideal) and some will simple execute a script***, the same thing again and again. Others might just show 3 or 4 screens (either the same or different each time) then loop back to the menu.

*** Sometimes in boredom, if you apply some form of immunity type of cheats then invoke a demo/attract mode it can be fun to see what it does / does not do / crash etc. :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

spider wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:52 am Only issue I can see with that is what qualifies.

Some games will have a fair bit of randomness in a mode like that (ideal) and some will simple execute a script***, the same thing again and again. Others might just show 3 or 4 screens (either the same or different each time) then loop back to the menu.
IMHO all of them qualify.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Two scramble-type games with attract modes:

Penetrator
Cavern Fighter

Interesting to see the difference between how 'good' the computer player is though.

Cavern Fighter's is a bit crap. Tends to die after barely getting into the first tunnel. Looks like almost random movement controls.

Penetrator's is pretty good, Gets a fair way into the game. It looks like a human player is controlling the ship, though the ship doesn't lurch forward when it fires lasers, something I'd typically expect to see due to the infamously bad control keys with thrust/fire on the same key.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:40 pm IMHO all of them qualify.
I agree. Anything that looks like the computer is playing itself or has a rolling demo of screens is viable IMO.

I've actually thought of one and tested! Pheenix (Megadodo)
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

HyperSports
Daley Thompson's Supertest
Nebulus
Uridium
animaal
Microbot

Post by animaal »

I remember Jasper https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... rum/Jasper having such a mode.

Ir's a 1984 game. Perhaps the earliest listed so far?

Edit: never mind, Spectipede is 1983. :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

What's the one where the attract mode was actually an action replay of your last game? I swear there was something like that.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

animaal wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:58 pm I remember Jasper https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... rum/Jasper having such a mode.

Ir's a 1984 game. Perhaps the earliest listed so far?

Edit: never mind, Spectipede is 1983. :)
...And Penetrator is 1982... ;) I wonder if there were any on the ZX81?

Another early one - 3D Tunnel (1983).

Its attract mode even shows you all the levels in the game.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

- Stainless Steel
- Beach Head 2
- Robocop 3
- The Way of the Exploding Fist
- Who dares wins 2
- Ghost'n'Goblins?
- Ghouls'n'Ghosts?
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

- Skool Daze starts in "DEMO MODE"
- Wheelie has a demo mode but you have to press a key to enter
- Abu Simbel Profanation starts a slideshow of the various screens after a while, I remember it because my (bootlegged) copy was broken and couldn't start... to be honest, even when I played it on the emulator, I never went past the first two screens.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

If I remember well, Raid Over Moscow, Rambo & Beach Head have it.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:24 pm What's the one where the attract mode was actually an action replay of your last game? I swear there was something like that.
Rings a bell with me, too.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

I seem to think Boulder Dash has one?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

There was definitely a codies game that had the ability to replay your last game - maybe BMX simulator? I don't know if it did it on the attract screen though.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:24 pm What's the one where the attract mode was actually an action replay of your last game? I swear there was something like that.
I'm sure there was a Speccy one, but I'm buggered if I can remember it. The only game in recent years I remember doing it is Super Meat Boy
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

AndyC wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:10 pm There was definitely a codies game that had the ability to replay your last game - maybe BMX simulator? I don't know if it did it on the attract screen though.
It does let you press A for an action replay at the end of a level. The attract mode however is two computer players. I've just tried deliberately playing very badly (going anti-clockwise and crashing loads) to check all this!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:17 pm It does let you press A for an action replay at the end of a level. The attract mode however is two computer players. I've just tried deliberately playing very badly (going anti-clockwise and crashing loads) to check all this!
Hmm, yes. Although I think the attract mode might actually be a recording of the Oliver Twins playing now that you mention it.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Intensity
Capitan Trueno (p2)
Mot (p1)
Ulises (and maybe some other Opera games)