The best Speccy game by Bob Smith: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Bob Smith: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

This is a bit of a tricky one. Bob Smith is a real person, and his publisher 'brand' has been Bob Smith and it's also been 'Bob's Stuff'. Do I bring the two 'labels' together, or treat them separately?

All Present And Correct
Factory Daze
Farmer Jack - Treasure Trove
Gem Chaser
Gem Chaser 2
Herbert The Turbot
Horace In The Mystic Woods
Jilly's Farm Volume 1 - Sokobaarn!
LumASCII
W*H*B
X=Y=Z

All the above is listed in ZXDB as by 'Bob Smith', except for the titles I've placed in dark red, which are listed as 'Bob's Stuff'. I'll keep them lumped all together for next week's poll unless someone can give me a compelling reason not to.

There are 11 games here, Bob Smith seems to be have been doing homebrew games since 2008, and may well have given it up (or taken a break) in recent years, as the most recent was in 2017. Still, they are pretty decent, and I love Sokobaarn!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
bobs
Microbot

Re: The best Speccy game by Bob Smith: discussion

Post by bobs »

Apparently he’s a really great bloke! ;)

Both Stranded & Stranded 2 are missing from the list though, along with Dominetris, and the first two Farmer Jack games. Also the frankly mind blowing Text-only Grand Prix. The first Speccy game was Stranded, which was actually finished in 1989 but didn’t find a publisher at the time, and so finally saw the light of day in the early 2000’s (4? 5? Not sure)

They’re all grouped together on his itch.io page (link below), so the vote should probably do that as well.

Last release was 2021 for the ZX81 game Shrooms, having written more ZX81 games than Spectrum at the moment. He’s still active (if slowing down through old age), and is currently working on trying to bringing two PC games to the Speccy.
Last edited by bobs on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

bobs wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:12 pm Apparently he’s a really great bloke! ;)

Both Stranded & Stranded 2 are missing from the list though, along with Dominetris, and the first two Farmer Jack games. Also the frankly mind blowing Text-only Grand Prix. The first Speccy game was Stranded, which was actually finished in 1989 but didn’t find a publisher at the time, and so finally saw the light of day in the early 2000’s (4? 5? Not sure)

They’re all grouped together on his itch.io page (link below), so the vote should probably do that as well.

Last release was 2021 for the ZX81 game Shrooms, having written more ZX81 games than Spectrum at the moment. He’s still active (if slowing down), and is currently working on trying to bringing two PC games to the Speccy.
Ah, Stranded and Stranded 2.5 are certainly developed by Bob Smith, along with Dominetris and the first two Farmer Jack games, but these are published on the Cronosoft label (and that's a brand I intend to showcase in these polls at some point).

I did a search with games only and ZX Spectrum machines on the filters, so I didn't accidentally include the ZX81 stuff. Fair enough if he's concentrating on the ZX81, that's a really tough challenge, good to hear he's still going!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

Nearly all the games mentioned were also published on cassette by Cronosoft though - all the Farmer Jack games, Factory Daze, W*H*B, X=Y=Z etc - so the distinction is somewhat ambiguous? None of the games were directly written for Cronosoft.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

bobs wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:50 pm Nearly all the games mentioned were also published on cassette by Cronosoft though - all the Farmer Jack games, Factory Daze, W*H*B, X=Y=Z etc - so the distinction is somewhat ambiguous?
True! This is something I've realised now I've looked at homebrew labels. What an incestuous (and I mean that metaphorically!) scene!

Are there enough non-Cronosoft-published games by him to make a poll?

If there aren't enough then I guess I should propose a discussion on the next homebrew label in my notes, which is RetroWorks and they seem to have a clearly-defined ZX Spectrum output of 17 games, which we'll of course examine and then vote for Sword Of Ianna. :)
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

There are only 3 spectrum games which to the best of my knowledge have not been available (at some point) on cassette from Cronosoft - HITMW…, TOGP, and APAC - so I don’t think that makes a poll under your current criteria, no. Splitting their work into three separate groups, instead of by an author, rather ruins that.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:59 pm Are there enough non-Cronosoft-published games by him to make a poll?
btw @bobs is Bob Smith!

It feels a bit wrong to me to use publisher in the hard and fast sense for homebrew games. There are times it works and others it shortchanges the author, though I suppose you could say the same about the classic era games. Just my opinion, but I would do a best game by Bob Smith the man poll and a separate one for Cronosoft.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

This is going to be a tough one, because Bob has really good games, one of the best authors of the Homebrew era. We are missing your games, Bob! Come back soon! (We are really looking forward to Melkhiors 8) ).

As for the already available games from Bob, not only they are good, but they are also quite original/innovative in many ways.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

bobs wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:05 pm There are only 3 spectrum games which to the best of my knowledge have not been available (at some point) on cassette from Cronosoft - HITMW…, TOGP, and APAC - so I don’t think that makes a poll under your current criteria, no. Splitting their work into three separate groups, instead of by an author, rather ruins that.
Well, I don't know what TOGP is, but if we have All Present And Correct and Horace In The Mystic Woods, that's two games, which should be fine to start a poll. It is a bit 'apples vs oranges', but that's never stopped me before! Or am I missing something?
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

I think Gem Chaser 1 and 2 never got a Cronosoft release either ;)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:11 pm btw @bobs is Bob Smith!
Erk... well, that's embarrassing for me! I didn't realise until you mentioned it.
R-Tape wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:11 pmIt feels a bit wrong to me to use publisher in the hard and fast sense for homebrew games. There are times it works and others it shortchanges the author, though I suppose you could say the same about the classic era games.
Yeah, I was about to come to that. The publisher polls are prone to the fact that a publisher brand can be a very mixed bag - so many wildly different contributors with really variable quality. If this was a book forum, then it's like saying the Bronte sisters work is comparable to that of Jeffrey Archer. Or, if music, Motorhead being compared to Sam And The Womp. It's madness (ooh, that's another one on the Stiff label) but I'm not prepared to stop now!
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

Ivanzx wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:49 am I think Gem Chaser 1 and 2 never got a Cronosoft release either ;)
Really? I’ll try and get that to happen then.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Okay, I've left it rather too late to start a poll today, but @bobs, can you clarify these are the ZX Spectrum games published FIRST by 'Bob Smith'/'Bob's Stuff'?

All Present And Correct
TOPG (I don't know what this stands for!)
Horace In The Mystic Woods

Also, if Cronosoft rereleased your games after you released them, they can still count in a poll, so let me know about any of those too. It's just that if Cronosoft (or any other label) was the first to publish them, then they don't count.

Finally, are Gem Chaser and Gem Chaser 2 first releases by 'Bob Smith'/'Bob's Stuff'?
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

All my games were published first by me in some form (email, websites, itch.io, etc).

Cronosoft is a way of getting physical cassettes out there. Indeed, the physical versions of the game are usually the last version, so they can be as bug-free as possible having been tested by download.

“Bob’s Stuff” purely came about as a better identity to gather them all under, especially when other people are involved (music, conversions etc)

TOPG should be TOGP - Text-Only Grand Prix.
Last edited by bobs on Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Count me in for eagerly awaiting Melchior's Mansion. No development tweets in a while, I do find those interesting too.
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

patters wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:31 am Count me in for eagerly awaiting Melchior's Mansion. No development tweets in a while, I do find those interesting too.
Yup, very sorry about that - blame a mix of development hell and real life. On a positive note though, I’ve currently got two Speccy games on the go!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Looks like "Bobs Stuff" is getting a folder of his own in my 1G1R Speccy set :)
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

bobs wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:24 am Really? I’ll try and get that to happen then.
That would be great, Bob ;)
Maybe a password system for the cassette release would be also great, as I tried to beat the game and it was really hard!