Buying a used Microdrive - any tips?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Buying a used Microdrive - any tips?

Post by smurphboy »

I'm thinking of getting into Microdrives... any tips on what to look for / avoid when looking on ebay?
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Re: Buying a used Microdrive - any tips?

Post by cj7hawk »

If you're not confident in getting something repaired, you can always get one where the seller has tested it - especially as a combo with an Interface 1. They aren't too much more than untested ones.

Though generally the untested ones work OK also.

The cartridges are the biggest problem. You will need to get good at refelting them, or buy ones already refelted. You can expect NONE to work straight from ebay unless refelted. They are that badly rotted now, that the felt will just come apart with a puff of air, and when the tape pulls it off, can get stuck in the loop and destroy the cartridge - so always refelt before use.

Also, the cables are the part I find fails the most. Might just be dirty edge connectors, but I find that testing with a good cable and everything carefully assembled can be the difference between working and failing.

That's about it - :) Good luck with your search.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @smurphboy,

Nice chatting to you on Discord during the week.

There are some modern devices that still use the Interface 1, but emulate the Microdrive. It's not quite the same feeling, but they are so much more flexible and reliable. They can also fit into a Microdrive casing. You will find they even make the original Microdrive sound!

Take a look at:

OqtaDrive. https://codeberg.org/xelalexv/oqtadrive

ZXPicoMD from @TomD. https://github.com/TomDDG/ZXPicoMD

VDriveZX. https://www.vretrodesign.com/products/v ... e-emulator
Note that everything on the VDrive store seems sold out, so not sure if they are still being produced.

I own the OqtaDrive and ZX PicoMD. The OqtaDrive has the benefit of a web interface, but I know @TomD is working on that too. I wouldn't go back to original microdrives.

If you need to buy an Interface 1 then check it's got the V2 ROM.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

If I can find a working one then that is ideal, if not, just the case is worthwhile to fit something like a microdrive emulator.

Thanks for the advice on the cartridges. Sounds nasty
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

You can buy new recreation microdrive housings from retroradionics. They are relatively inexpensive.

Regards
David
drdivago
Dizzy

Post by drdivago »

As you're located in the UK you can get the same stuff from ZX Renew (https://zxrenew.co.uk/Replacement-Micro ... p297531870) and avoid the risks of shipping from China: after more than two years since I ordered (and paid for) it, I'm still waiting for a replica of the Toastrack keypad :cry:
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

The main reason you’re waiting for that toastrack keypad is that the crowdfunding project hasn’t gone into manufacturing yet. Everybody is waiting, not just you.

The replica micro drive cases have had their moulds created and poured, and are ready to ship from retro radionics. You’ll only find ZX Renew faster if they have some in stock, otherwise they’d be waiting for a shipment from retro radionics just like you would be.

I definitely endorse using a replica case rather than destroying a repairable (by somebody else even if you can’t) original unit, if you only want the case.
Last edited by Seven.FFF on Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
drdivago
Dizzy

Post by drdivago »

Good to know, I sent them a number of mails over time but never got a reply.
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

I had a few months of good use from Microdrives. The main issue as posted was the carts. Eventually even the re felted carts failed. I ended up with the vDriveZX. I still have a few MDs and a few carts so maybe one day I’ll get around to refelting the refelted md carts. Either way if you get a working set it’s lovely to see this old tech working/whirring away :-)