C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Re: C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

Post by uglifruit »

Kweepa wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:58 pm Every time you rescue a lady in waiting the map gets bigger...
Jbizzel wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:56 pm I've updated my review, since I managed to make more progress.
I've thoroughly enjoyed playing Gareth Hood II. There are interesting uses of the barrels - using them as steps and then using the 'step off and immediately jump' move to allow seemingly inaccessible places to be reached. Very satisfying when it works! I'm currently on castle 9, and I don't *think* it's possible to rescue the lady in waiting. But I've had fun getting here.
CLEAR 23855
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Yes, there has definitely been a move towards quality in the last 3 submissions.

He is a little reminder that my inbox is now empty. I hope this trend in quality continues :)
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

uglifruit wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:25 am I'm currently on castle 9, and I don't *think* it's possible to rescue the lady in waiting.
You never know, that could be Marian!
Since the maps are random, maybe next time castle 9 will be solvable...
But I've had fun getting here.
Glad you liked it!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Jbizzel wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:11 am He is a little reminder that my inbox is now empty.
Let me sort my house out first... I'm on a roll with that project.

Then I'll get back to programming. As ever, you have been warned. How's your musical ability?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 pm Let me sort my house out first... I'm on a roll with that project.

Then I'll get back to programming. As ever, you have been warned. How's your musical ability?
Musical ability? I can strum a chord or two ;P

Look forward to seeing what you have planned.

I'm hoping someone does something for the z88 this year. I might arrange a small prize for the best z88 game?

Here is something I've been working, adapting a lowres zx81 image to the z88 - works well. Hope it sparks some interest.

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Well, here's some utter crap....

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/02/t ... t-gpt.html

Toilet trouble reviewed!!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:11 am Yes, there has definitely been a move towards quality in the last 3 submissions.
Firelord Quality Games ...
Jbizzel wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:11 am He is a little reminder that my inbox is now empty. I hope this trend in quality continues :)
The sequel of Robbie Pssst was 80-90% ready before I even started working with Pssst.
The two games are considered (by me) very easy and linear. The sequel will be more difficult to complete and it will feature non-linear classic arcade action and will need much more playing time to complete (without cheats) !

I'm waiting to check the updated Robbie Pssst review to see if I can make any minor changes that will enchance game experience!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@firelord I am still struggling with the original.

You see a door
Examine door
What door?

You see a box with 5 doors labeled 1 to 5
Open door 5
There is no 5

You have a blue spray can
Use blue spay can
You can't

Spray bug
I don't understand spray

Kill bug
What with?

The SPRAY!!!
What is spray?

Inventory
You have a spray can

Use spray can
You can't.
You died.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:11 am @firelord I am still struggling with the original.

You see a door
Examine door
What door?

You see a box with 5 doors labeled 1 to 5
Open door 5
There is no 5

You have a blue spray can
Use blue spay can
You can't

Spray bug
I don't understand spray

Kill bug
What with?

The SPRAY!!!
What is spray?

Inventory
You have a spray can

Use spray can
You can't.
You died.
tips (written very quickly) :
- use "five" instead of "5" (I think I had some issues with using numbers instead of words)
- You don't use spray
-"Kill worm with blue can " (like the solution)
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

I'm using qaop emulator for testing. I'm posting two images just to make sure both emulators show the same :

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Mad Gods is a work of genius. It's like being trapped in a text adventure where both the author and the Spectrum have gone insane.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

The BBC says "NO SUCH VARIABLE"... and then eats you.

And there I was thinking Quest For The Holy Joystick was mad.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Yes, I enjoyed the surreal nature of Mad Gods!

Anyway, I've gone quite mad myself...

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/02/a ... jamie.html

err, reviewed?
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I think the real question here is, are any of the mowers other than the Patio Sprintette working?

I'd quite like to use the Qualcast Grassnihilator 5000, which swaps the usual single-cylinder engine for a 5.7-litre V8 plundered from a Corvette. Legend has it that it can turn an acre of wilderness into golfing green in a matter of minutes, and will be untroubled by stones, weeds, worms, small fluffy animals, tree roots, or fossilised dinosaur bones. It'll rip through anything put in front of it.

Annoyingly, it's so powerful and fast that Advanced Lawnmower Simulator 2023 featuring this new model is only likely to run on the Next at 28 MHz...
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Well, its the start of the third month of the comp, and over the last 8 weeks there have been 15 'games'!

Wowsers.

I have nothing to review at the moment, so if you are teetering on the brink of a submission, then now might be a good time to push the button.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

I guess I will begin polishing the sequel of Dr Robbie Pssst.
In the end of "The Real Adventures of Dr Robbie Pssst " you gain some information that will help in "The Adventures of the Real Packard Manford" or "The Real adventures of Packard Manford" -the name(s) of the sequel...
The game will be more difficult without finishing the previous game.

"The Guardian" had some inside information and after they missed the launch of "Top Gun 2 - Maverick Dangerous" they want to be prepared!
So , it was no surprise that they contacted all the csscgc hosts!
Btw, as I mentioned in the other topic I decided to update the " CSSCGC the adventure" and submit it.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

firelord wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:34 pm I guess I will begin polishing the sequel of Dr Robbie Pssst.
In the end of "The Real Adventures of Dr Robbie Pssst " you gain some information that will help in "The Adventures of the Real Packard Manford" or "The Real adventures of Packard Manford" -the name(s) of the sequel...
The game will be more difficult without finishing the previous game.
Looking forward to your entry Fire Lord. Your quality games department never lets us down! :)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 pm I think the real question here is, are any of the mowers other than the Patio Sprintette working?

I'd quite like to use the Qualcast Grassnihilator 5000, which swaps the usual single-cylinder engine for a 5.7-litre V8 plundered from a Corvette. Legend has it that it can turn an acre of wilderness into golfing green in a matter of minutes, and will be untroubled by stones, weeds, worms, small fluffy animals, tree roots, or fossilised dinosaur bones. It'll rip through anything put in front of it.

Annoyingly, it's so powerful and fast that Advanced Lawnmower Simulator 2023 featuring this new model is only likely to run on the Next at 28 MHz...
But could there be a good game where you mow lawns, with RPG elements, you can actually buy better gear, build a business etc.. Like Legend of the River King on the Gameboy, but mowing lawns, rather than fishing?
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:55 pm But could there be a good game where you mow lawns, with RPG elements, you can actually buy better gear, build a business etc.. Like Legend of the River King on the Gameboy, but mowing lawns, rather than fishing?
Don't give me ideas. I might have to go through with them.

I'm a bit short of programming time at the moment, though, so, everyone else... MUSH!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:55 pm But could there be a good game where you mow lawns, with RPG elements, you can actually buy better gear, build a business etc.. Like Legend of the River King on the Gameboy, but mowing lawns, rather than fishing?
or "Advanced Lawnmower Simulator - The Adventure"...
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

firelord wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:20 am or "Advanced Lawnmower Simulator - The Adventure"...
We could have a community project of CGC entrants, where we make this game, and it's brilliant. Finally closing the circle, that was started by YS all those years ago. 😁
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Note: there are two ALS - Adventure games in the database. And probably more in the history of the competition...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... The_Sequel (1993)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... _Adventure (2008)
Apparently the idea is resurrected every 15 years. :D
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Kweepa wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:12 pm Note: there are two ALS - Adventure games in the database. And probably more in the history of the competition...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... The_Sequel (1993)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... _Adventure (2008)
Apparently the idea is resurrected every 15 years. :D
That first one looks quite good! Although the screenshot doesn't have anything to do with mowing lawns!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:23 pm ,,,doesn't have anything to do with mowing lawns!
just played it... it has...

I think I can't compete with that kind of quality! No lawnmower-specific game from me.