Little bugs in the database 5

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Little bugs in the database 5

Post by PeterJ »

I agree @4thRock. I spoke with this to @Einar Saukas, but he is not keen on the idea sadly.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

4thRock wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:30 am The TS1000 was supposed to be very close to the ZX81 (100 or 99.9% compatible).
But in these cases instructions clearly indicate TS 1000 & TS 1500, so we might add those machine types for consistency.
After all, these are official software releases by the hardware manufacturer. I'd say it's best to stick to the references than guess about compatibility.
All ZX81 programs in ZXDB are currently classified in 6 "machine type" categories:
  • ZX81 1K
  • ZX81 2K
  • ZX81 16K
  • ZX81 16K/32K
  • ZX81 32K
  • ZX81 64K
However there are 7 "official" machine models related to Timex: ZX81, TS100, TS1500, CZ 1000, CZ 1500, CZ 1000 Plus, CZ 1500 Plus. Regarding software compatibility, they are nearly identical. Are you proposing we should have 7*6=42 classifications for ZX81 software?

If so, what about software published specifically for other "unofficial" non-Timex models? Shouldn't we have machine types for them too? This should give us over a hundred classifications for ZX81 programs...

Afterwards let's talk about how many more ZX Spectrum classifications we need! :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Einar Saukas
I do think it's reasonable that where there are official clones to have them separately listed. The Timex machines are listed separately in many emulators too.

I do agree with you Einar that you don't want hundreds of different systems limited, so let's have a limited number.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:37 am All ZX81 programs in ZXDB are currently classified in 6 "machine type" categories:
  • ZX81 1K
  • ZX81 2K
  • ZX81 16K
  • ZX81 16K/32K
  • ZX81 32K
  • ZX81 64K
Even this seems excessive. These aren't "machine types" - you couldn't go out and buy a 32K ZX81. Shadow of the Unicorn has a machine type of "Spectrum 48K" but it doesn't work without the expansion pack plugged in - the ZX81 games that require extra memory are exactly the same.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@StooB

Agreed, those aren't machine types as they were released, it's more (as with the spectrum machine types), the minimum memory required for the game, plus as we know where a game has different versions.

Interestingly there do seem quite a few ZX81 32K games.

Here we are talking more about official clones,
such as Timex. So Timex TS1000, and TS1500. I'm not going to loose sleep over it, but it seems sensible.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Einar you are right, we can't have 42 ZX81 machine types :D
On the other hand, I think we should (somehow) record the required hardware, as indicated on the software inlay, instructions, etc.

Perhaps we could have an optional machine variation field? It could cover both memory variations and/or specific clones?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

4thRock wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:16 am Perhaps we could have an optional machine variation field? It could cover both memory variations and/or specific clones?
Sounds like a good compromise.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

4thRock wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:16 am Einar you are right, we can't have 42 ZX81 machine types :D
On the other hand, I think we should (somehow) record the required hardware, as indicated on the software inlay, instructions, etc.

Perhaps we could have an optional machine variation field? It could cover both memory variations and/or specific clones?
I'd be inclined to have a numeric "minimum RAM" field (possibly also with a variations field). It probably covers a lot of the variation requirements across both the Spectrum and ZX81 (not all because some might specifically need a +2A/+3) and has the benefit of being more sargable - searching for ZX81 games that work with less than 4K RAM etc.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

It's important that we don't have something which needs lots of manual work to populate the data, because it just won't happen. The Timex stuff can mostly be done on the publisher.

As an example, I would also love subgenres for games, but I realise that no-one is going to volunteer to work through x thousand entries.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Another possibility, perhaps simpler, would be to use the existing "Remarks" field.
"Remarks" can already point to hardware, for example the Kempston Mouse:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... ace_Driver

We have hardware entries for most (or all) hardware variations, so this might be a good solution.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:01 am Seems to be another similar one here @4thRock:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... a_da_Morte
OK, it's not a compatibility issue.

I just loaded this game into EightyOne emulating a ZX81 16K, saved the screen as BMP, then used the "ZX81 Screen Converter" at ZXInfo to convert to SCR. It worked just fine. You can see the result here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... a_da_Morte

I also noticed that the previous garbage SCR had 7043 bytes, although it's supposed to have 6912 bytes.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

As mentioned via email @Einar Saukas, I was using the same emulator but TS100 emulation which failed, but TS1500 emulation worked when creating the SCR via BMP. Andre was also using TS1000 which created the issue in the first place. This is a bug with the emulator, and not linked to the request to split things out.

I'm working through the screens I highlighted with issues and replacing them.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I don't think it's an emulation bug. There's something else going on.

I just tried again loading this game into EightyOne emulating a TS1000 16K, saved the screen as BMP, then used the "ZX81 Screen Converter" at ZXInfo to convert to SCR. I even repeated the test using 3 different versions of EightyOne (0.43, 1.0, 1.2). Everything worked just fine.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

These were 2K Games using the unexpanded TS1000 @Einar Saukas

This is the title I used as a test. The screen file was broken, but now works:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=38705

I'm sorting them anyway @Einar Saukas, so you don't need to worry.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Thanks!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Currently 3D Dungeon has a release date of Unknown. However, the accompanying text file has 2017 listed.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... 3D-Dungeon
✓ Processed
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Contact Sam Cruise has a price of £6.95. It was released at £7.95 as can be seen from the price near the barcode here.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Vampyre wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:01 pm Contact Sam Cruise has a price of £6.95. It was released at £7.95 as can be seen from the price near the barcode here.
The first ad on that page in C&VG shows 6.95.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Stefan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:03 pm The first ad on that page in C&VG shows 6.95.
I'm pretty sure, in fact I'm positive, they changed the price. That advert you've linked to is incredibly early - April 1986 when it wasn't released until near Christmas 1986. The second C+VG advert has the updated price to £7.95. All of the later ads, near the time of release, have it at £7.95.

Most of the previews, apart from one Crash version at £6.95, mention it will be £7.95. Every review has it's price listed as £7.95. The inlay card I linked to, surely the biggest indicator, has the price of £7.95. I'm pretty sure I remember paying £7.95 for it.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Vikings: https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... um/Vikings

should be linked to the Historical Warfare theme rather than Medieval Legends, because it is based upon two historical battles.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Rock Crush II: The Power of Dan is incorrectly listed as needing 2K RAM. The website says 16K.
Rock Crush II runs on a standard 16K ZX81, but also supports colour via the Chroma interface, sound via AY / ZON X devices (enhanced if 8K-16K area RAM is present) and a joystick via the Chroma or ZXpand interfaces.

This game features a high quality Pseudo High Res display - almost SPECTRUM quality resolution - It requires no hardware modification to work other than a standard ZX81 and 16K (or greater) RAMPACK.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Sprite Grabber seems to have the running screen from Slow Scan Television

I appreciate it's a screen grabber program, but the screen chosen may cause some confusion?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Are these two the same? Certainly the magazine references are the same, and even with my limited grasp of Spanish I know cinco is five.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... _Impresion

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... esi%C3%B3n
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Einar Saukas, @druellan and @pavero,

Can I ask about the approach with type ins that appeared in magazines from multiple countries. Should they be merged?

A good example is:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... /Bug_Fever

And

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... /La_Charca
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:37 pm Can I ask about the approach with type ins that appeared in magazines from multiple countries. Should they be merged?
If there are enough differences, then we keep them under separate entries, indicating that one of them is a MOD of the other.

If they are too similar, then we simply merge them into a single entry.