C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

Post by Jbizzel »

Well, new game in and reviewed!

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/03/l ... oovey.html

Please play it, any maybe discuss the solution here. Nice little text adventure.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Update:

Ed has updated his game to give it a bit of spit and polish.

I've updated the blog and download. Please redownload and if you haven't already, this is well worth a go.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

I don't see the download any more.
(I played the last version and wasn't able to find any objects to pick up at all, so this just seems like an extension of that.)
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

This version only tries to correct the issues picked up in the review. It was ever only intended to be a fairly simple game and therefore employs an auto get method. If you find an object it is transfered to your inventory. If you haven't found anything perhaps you need to examine the mower.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Kweepa wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:30 pm I don't see the download any more.
(I played the last version and wasn't able to find any objects to pick up at all, so this just seems like an extension of that.)
I had hidden the file for some reason. Corrected now.

@EdToo I like the auto pick up option, maybe I should have mentioned that.

@Kweepa if you haven't picked anything up, maybe there is somewhere obvious you haven't looked??
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Brilliant beeper rendition of the Bond theme in the updated version! I've only had a quick wander so far but I'll try and complete it this weekend - it actually appears to be a proper text adventure!

I'm not sold on the auto pickup yet. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Examine Golden Mower.
You see nothing overly interesting

:shock: When a man is tired of lawnmowers made of gold, he is tired of life.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:16 am Examine Golden Mower.

Yikes that response will get me banned from The South West Mowers Association! It is supposed to have a description of the mower.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

EdToo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:28 pm Yikes that response will get me banned from The South West Mowers Association! It is supposed to have a description of the mower.
Author issue, it should say "Unlike its gold painted knock off brother, this mower is made of solid gold. Part of the budget range for Arab Sheiks." but I messed up while coding. Could we run a Crap Spectrum Author Competition?
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@EdToo this game is too nice not to perfect.

Consider this forum beta testing, and don't worry about submitting further updates if more bugs are found.

I'll be having a proper go on the new version over the weekend.

Awesome job.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:16 am
Examine Golden Mower.

😂😂😂
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:56 pm ...and don't worry about submitting further updates ...
We can post updates? I was planning on making an "extended" version of pssst in itch.io (out of the competition) with more words in the vocabulary...

There you can "spray" bugs...
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

firelord wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:15 pm We can post updates? I was planning on making an "extended" version of pssst in itch.io (out of the competition) with more words in the vocabulary...

There you can "spray" bugs...
Sure, last year I submitted about 500 versions of every game I submitted. Poor @uglifruit
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:27 pm Sure, last year I submitted about 500 versions of every game I submitted. Poor @uglifruit
So far in the next version you can "spray bug with colored can" and "pssst* bug with colored can" .
I am trying to squeeze an extra image but I run out of memory...

*This verb was added to the english language to honor the memory of the famous gardener Dr Robbie Pssst . Everybody who read the manual already knew that!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

@EdToo I've just typed 'MOW' 100 times, so this game bloody well had better be solvable!

I'm wandering in circles now in need of several books and a film. I'll have to ruminate on this.

Is this a bug?
Spoiler
when I go to the rocket, and exit east/west, I end up being trapped between the moonbase and the rocket, unable to return to Melton Mowbray.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

I found another crap BASIC adventure I wrote in the 80s. I got all excited and thought it would be great to release here, it is a standard text adventure but I put three characters as a team and displayed all the stats when 'I' was entered. I then looked through the listing and it only has four locations and three objects. Not enough to release really... Shame as the presentation was quite nice along with a different font.
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@R-Tape and @EdToo

The first book is here:
Spoiler
x mower (the one you're sat on)
But now I'm stuck!
I have 4 of the needed mowers and a gold medal -
Spoiler
I have the mower lights, how do I unlock the door
PS the bit in the common is funny. Not sure if there is anything serious to do there?
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:53 pm @EdToo I've just typed 'MOW' 100 times, so this game bloody well had better be solvable!

I'm wandering in circles now in need

Is this a bug?
Spoiler
when I go to the rocket, and exit east/west, I end up being trapped between the moonbase and the rocket, unable to return to Melton Mowbray.

Did you give the astronaut the book to get to the moonbase? If so just UP or DOWN move you in the rocket. The wording is unclear don't SAY DOWN just DOWN.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:53 pm @EdToo I've just typed 'MOW' 100 times.

You have made a green keeper very happy.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:45 pm @R-Tape and @EdToo

The first book is here:
Spoiler
x mower (the one you're sat on)
But now I'm stuck!
I have 4 of the needed mowers and a gold medal -
Spoiler
I have the mower lights, how do I unlock the door
:oops: I've double checked there is a typo on the sign, it should read

"The sign reads TYPE <WORD> where <WORD> consists of the 5th letter of the first word, 2nd letter of the 2nd word and 3rd and final letters of the last word" :oops:
A fixed version is available here, also with wording clarified for space travel. Save games from the previous versions should load into this one with no issues.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

EdToo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:42 pm A fixed version is available here, also with wording clarified for space travel. Save games from the previous versions should load into this one with no issues.
Another fix? With back-compatibility?! This is the worst crap game ever!

(Thanks)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:31 am ... So have fun and may the chuntey field be with you!
Did you receive my excellent entry? I sent it on Wednesday 15th and haven't heard back.
If you didn't receive my excellent entry then you probably got my crap one. Review that instead :D
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

equinox wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:02 am Did you receive my excellent entry? I sent it on Wednesday 15th and haven't heard back.
If you didn't receive my excellent entry then you probably got my crap one. Review that instead :D
Sorry, I was busy typing "mow" 100's of times.

Yes! I have it, and I'll review this weekend:) sorry for the delay
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/

Softly Softly Catchee Monkey - by @equinox is REVIEWED!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

But you can win the game! It's actually quite funny. Don't listen to him. Play it.
I spent so much time on this. Geez.

In other news: I got talking to Jon North (who used to do those magazine pokes) and found out that he lived literally two streets away from me. This is amazing. I hope I shall have an opportunity to buy the man a beer.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

equinox wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:19 am But you can win the game! It's actually quite funny. Don't listen to him. Play it.
I spent so much time on this. Geez.
Another satisfied customer of crap game 23 towers. I'm at early Sinclair levels of customer satisfaction, wait until Alan Sugar buys me out, then you'll get the reviews that are easy to use, and at the right price!

Yes do play it, @equinox has cleared lavished time and effort on his game, and I especially like the distance tracker feature for example. And as I said in my review, I thought the game was humourous.

On another note, I discovered recently that Richard Pelly made up most of the games he reviewed, and didn't actually play the ones sent in by users. I do actually play the games, and spend my Saturday nights writing reviews. I came up with a whole idiom based scoring system just for this game! (IBS). I was pretty pleased with that. :D