Researchers still don't know why this Atari 2600 game works

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Researchers still don't know why this Atari 2600 game works

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Someone tooted it on Mastodon, I think I should share it:

https://www.techspot.com/news/85622-nob ... ombed.html

"The basic maze generating routine had been partially written by a stoner who had left. I contacted him to try and understand what the maze generating algorithm did. He told me it came upon him when he was drunk and whacked out of his brain, he coded it up in assembly overnight before he passed out, but now could not for the life of him remember how the algorithm worked"

I hope it will discovered some day! :mrgreen:
catmeows
Manic Miner

Re: Researchers still don't know why this Atari 2600 game works

Post by catmeows »

Proud owner of Didaktik M
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Now ask them to explain how this one works:

http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sincla ... d-maze.htm
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 pm He told me it came upon him when he was drunk and whacked out of his brain, he coded it up in assembly overnight before he passed out, but now could not for the life of him remember how the algorithm worked
Frankly that's a much cooler story than actually explaining the rules that you do remember. I'd be tempted to say so too. I am sceptical.
mjwilson
Dizzy

Post by mjwilson »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 pm Someone tooted it on Mastodon, I think I should share it:

https://www.techspot.com/news/85622-nob ... ombed.html

"The basic maze generating routine had been partially written by a stoner who had left. I contacted him to try and understand what the maze generating algorithm did. He told me it came upon him when he was drunk and whacked out of his brain, he coded it up in assembly overnight before he passed out, but now could not for the life of him remember how the algorithm worked"

I hope it will discovered some day! :mrgreen:
There's a Spectacle page like that...

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

It's a fun routine. Converted to SpecBAS:

And with formatting:

Set it to loop forever. Wonder if I can make use of this...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I don't really see what the fuss is about. There's some logic encoded in a look-up 'truth table' instead of explicit IF statements, and it's proving difficult to reverse-engineer the logic that went into making that look-up table (assuming it is all logical in the first place), that's all.

It's not like it's some miracle algorithm. It doesn't generate any 2x2 or larger open areas, but that's hardly a taxing problem. It generates loads of passageways that are completely cut-off, and those diagonal block dead-ends that pop-up occasionally suggest to me that there's actually a flaw in the logic.