Most bizarre theme for a Speccy game?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Most bizarre theme for a Speccy game?

Post by AndyC »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:20 pm It makes perfect sense. He was forced to implement this idea in a very short time, that had to look impressive for a couple minutes on TV but knowing that nobody would ever play it. Therefore a simple repetitive isometric 3D game was a perfect solution.
I assume they already had some sort of crap game that was never going to sell very well, which just got reskinned into whatever vaguely fit the description the kid was asking for in the hopes that publicity on TV would sell a few copies.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I wonder if 'Ninja Grannies' was inspired by a sketch I remember seeing someone had sent in to YS. It depicted (as the editor commented) 'Mrs. Brady, Old Lady' from Viz whacking some thugs with her handbag in a scene reminiscent of the cover of Vigilante, with the title altered to read 'VigilAuntie'.

Although there was a spate of 'Ninja' fad kids' movies at the time too, partly fuelled by the explosion of Ninja Turtles toys, cartoons etc.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Battle of the Toothpaste Tubes by K-Tel was an odd take on a shoot ‘em up!

Terrible game that I bought off a market stand for a quid.

Steve
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Joefish wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:10 pm I wonder if 'Ninja Grannies' was inspired by a sketch I remember seeing someone had sent in to YS. It depicted (as the editor commented) 'Mrs. Brady, Old Lady' from Viz whacking some thugs with her handbag in a scene reminiscent of the cover of Vigilante, with the title altered to read 'VigilAuntie'.

Although there was a spate of 'Ninja' fad kids' movies at the time too, partly fuelled by the explosion of Ninja Turtles toys, cartoons etc.
VigilAuntie is an awesome title (it makes me think of the Doodlebugs thread). Could be a prequel to Aunt Attack ;)

About the Ninja Turtles toys/cartoons, would have been funny if the stupid rename we got in Europe had resulted in game titles with Hero rather than Ninja ... like BMX Hero, Hero Scooter Simulator, Hero Master ... sounds naff, eh :dance
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

"Hero Hamster" might work. Sounds like it could be a 70s UK cartoon. If it isn't already.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
deanysoft
Dizzy

Post by deanysoft »

Joefish wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:10 pm I wonder if 'Ninja Grannies' was inspired by a sketch I remember seeing someone had sent in to YS.
No. We'd code all day on stuff we were supposed to do but after hours we'd do anything we liked and one of us decided a fighting game would be good fun to do. Somehow we settled on 'Grannies' as it was a fun idea. We didn't think it as one of those 'Ninja *blah*' games. We didn't like that sort of thing - there seemed to be endless '<something or other> Construction Kit' games too. An old colleague, Richard Stevenson coded BMX Ninja - Alternative was a bit of a sausage machine, quick turn around, fast coded and released games, they probably jumped on the Ninja bandwagon with that (Alternative, not RS)
deanysoft
Dizzy

Post by deanysoft »

And as for Gilbert? gawd - what a pain that one was.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

I don’t remember the name of the games, only that they seemed odd at the time:

-Game where you pickup babies
-Game where you eliminate(?) babies
-Game where you use a toothbrush to prevent cavities, with mixed results
-Game where you control a giant hand and grab bugs
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

deanysoft wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:30 pmAn old colleague, Richard Stevenson coded BMX Ninja - Alternative was a bit of a sausage machine, quick turn around, fast coded and released games, they probably jumped on the Ninja bandwagon with that (Alternative, not RS)
Great post! Are you still in contact with him? Would be funny to know his reaction to the Ashens video, and to know who came up with the ridiculous plot - was it him, or some of the "bosses" as in the video? :mrgreen:
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

zxbruno wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:51 pm -Game where you control a giant hand and grab bugs
Exterminator

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
deanysoft
Dizzy

Post by deanysoft »

XTM wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:28 pm Great post! Are you still in contact with him? Would be funny to know his reaction to the Ashens video, and to know who came up with the ridiculous plot - was it him, or some of the "bosses" as in the video? :mrgreen:
I'm in occasional contact, he's usually busy. I wouldn't think he'd be bothered about the video (I've just had a quick zip through it myself). It's really easy to be a critic. I'm not 100% sure about Bizarre's relationship with Alternative back then but with us at Clockwize, Alternative would have an idea, sometimes it might be just a title or a licence, and we were tasked with designing a game. We'd discuss the design a little with Alternative and we'd get the go ahead. It was work. If the games were sometimes daft or a bit cheesy, well so be it. It paid the bills.
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Among the others:
- Twister, Mother of Charlotte mostly because of the name: Charlotte was a replacement for "harlots" as they recognized that this kind of words wouldn't be suitable for a game which potentially could be played by kids, feat. some explicit whipping and a lot of demoniac symbolism anyway
Like in "Charlotte the Harlot"? :D

Bizarre? Well....the games in Can of Worms are pretty much like that.