Best ZX Spectrum speech

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Best ZX Spectrum speech

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

So I stumbled upon this video earlier:

https://youtu.be/ggX6dlinh-I

I think it lacks context/judgement but I found it interesting. I'd say the best speech *in this video* was, by some margin, Rasputin. I remember as a youngling being mightily impressed by Rasputin's speech: it had a clarity and natural softness that I don't recall hearing in any other game with synthesised speech (all the others seemed weirdly loud/shouty). Is there anything better? Or even similar? Why was Rasputin's digitised speech so much better than most everything else?
Last edited by 5MinuteRetro on Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: Best ZX Spectrum speech

Post by Stefan »

You need to separate 1 bit beeper speech from 4 bit AY speech, they’re worlds, well 16 levels, apart.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

Stefan wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:36 pm You need to separate 1 bit beeper speech from 4 bit AY speech, they’re worlds, well 16 levels, apart.
Ah, so Rasputin’s speech was 128 / AY only? I guess that makes sense (and I had a 128). So the question mutates: what are the other examples of fine 128 / AY speech?
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Robocop and Chase HQ are the first ones that come to mind.

There's also an older demo by Gasman where he mixes speech with chiptune music, and a newer demo that uses digitised samples for music and speech. Atari-something...
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I was thinking (hopefully on topic?) its a shame more games did not make use of the Currah Microspeech unit, although I am not sure how (un)popular said unit was. Certainly I never knew anyone who had one, and I don't know off hand if it would work with the original 128's and (probably not) the later black +2/+3...

Some good effects were done with the existing hardware though, a good achievement given the ram available to 'use for speech' 8-)
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

zxbruno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:57 am There's also an older demo by Gasman where he mixes speech with chiptune music, and a newer demo that uses digitised samples for music and speech. Atari-something...
Thunderbirds are go (DivIDEo on 128 with divIDE):
https://youtu.be/td7K6cCNoAg?t=30s
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

I think the best speech is International Karate. It's beeper. And it's useful to keep scores. It's not just there at the intro to show off or owt.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

The speech in Dizzy II, Dizzy III and I, Ball sounds distorted due to a bug. I have the respective fixes in my archive, I seem to remember they were done by [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention].
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:05 pm The speech in Dizzy II, Dizzy III and I, Ball sounds distorted due to a bug. I have the respective fixes in my archive, I seem to remember they were done by @Ast A. Moore.
Indeed. I fixed Dizzy II and [/i]Dizzy III[/i]. Not I, Ball, though.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:05 pm The speech in Dizzy II, Dizzy III and I, Ball sounds distorted due to a bug. I have the respective fixes in my archive, I seem to remember they were done by @Ast A. Moore.
Download link, please :) Maybe in private message.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Alone Coder wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 pm
Download link, please :) Maybe in private message.
My ZX Spectrum Game Bug Fixes.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I remember being quite impressed by the speech on Jonah Barrington Squash https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... ons_Squash it is quiet and has a distinctive high-pitch sound in the background, but on top the voice was very natural, without distortions in the 48k.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

While technically an easter egg, the “Get away from her, you bitch!” in SWIV is very detailed and high quality. I’m surprised they went to the trouble of putting it in. :lol:

Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:01 am
Alone Coder wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 pm Download link, please :) Maybe in private message.
My ZX Spectrum Game Bug Fixes.
Never heard of this bug that distorts the speech, any more info on it?
The sample in Dizzy Fant World is really good now it has been fixed!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Van_Dammesque wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:59 pm Never heard of this bug that distorts the speech, any more info on it?
The contended RAM banks on the 128K/+2 are different from those on the +2A/+3. Dizzy II loads the sampled speech (and the player) into a bank that is not contended on a 128K/+2 but is contended on a +2A/+3. Dizzy III does exactly the opposite. I modify the loaders of each game to dynamically determine which machine they run on and substitute the appropriate banks.

I performed the same trick for Nodes of Yesod 128K, although it was more involved, because I had to modify the game’s code itself.

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:27 pm I performed the same trick for Nodes of Yesod 128K, although it was more involved, because I had to modify the game’s code itself.
Ah, I've always wanted a version of Nodes 128K toasty/+2 but without the in-game speech. How easy is that to do? And yes, I do own the original game from new.
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

The first speech I ever heard on the 48K was Ghostbusters. I got it for Xmas and was loading it at around 2am with a pillow over the computer. Took the pillow off as soon as it was finished loading and then it shouted “Ghostbusters!!” made me jump :D
It sounded quite good at the time though.
R Tape loading error, 0:1