Compiling MuCho games

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Compiling MuCho games

Post by R-Tape »

Can anyone give an idiot's guide to compiling MuCho adventures, for people not familiar with the command line prompt?

Can anyone give an example of what exactly to type, say to compile the simple example, using the same folder structure as in the download? The instruction manual says this for starters:

Code: Select all

If you run mc.exe without parameters, it gives brief help:
C : \ mucho>mc
MuCho compiler , by J a r i Komppa h t tp : // i k i . f i / s ol /
mc <input > <output > [ f o n t image [ di vi d e r image [ s el e c t o r image ] ] ] [ f l a g s ]
Op ti on al f l a g s :
−v verbose ( u s e f ul f o r debugging )
−q q ui e t ( minimal output )
I'm even less clear what to do with the tape builder, Mackerel.

Maybe one for @Sol_HSA, but I see from his blog that he's had other things on his mind. Hope you're doing better :–)
zxade
Drutt

Re: Compiling MuCho games

Post by zxade »

I was able to compile the 'simple' example by changing to that directory and running the 'build.bat' batch file that is provided which contains this...

Code: Select all

@echo off
cls
del simple.tap
..\..\mc simple.txt simple.dat ..\..\fonts\font_zx_spectrum-7.png ..\..\dividers\divider_sin.png
..\..\mackarel patched.ihx simple.tap Simple -nosprestore -noei -lowblock simple.dat 0x5b00 
del simple.dat
del patched.ihx
It builds the .tap file which appears to load and run fine.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

zxade wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:28 pm I was able to compile the 'simple' example by changing to that directory and running the 'build.bat' batch file that is provided which contains this...
That's helped a bit. If I move MC.exe, Mackarel.exe and the .ihx files into the 'simple' folder (am I supposed to do that?), in the command line prompt if I type mc simple.txt simple.dat I can make something happen, but not a complete tap file. I can't make sense of Mackerel either.

BTW at the moment I'm managing by modifying the contents of an example folder, and clicking build.bat as the manual suggests, but I would like to extra features I can get by building my own.
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:41 pm Can anyone give an example of what exactly to type, say to compile the simple example[...]
If you look inside the build.bat (it's a text file - on command line you can write "type filename" to print out the contents) you'll see the commands that need to be run.