Zx Omni what is it? Is it any good?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
SamC
Microbot

Re: Zx Omni what is it? Is it any good?

Post by SamC »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:08 pm At the moment this is no big problemas 0.88 only with support for the MB03+ Ultimate and 0.89 introduced SCL support
That is inaccurate and maybe satisfactory shortcut for running 90% of common TAPs only, I think.
Repairs in both versions 0.8.8 and 0.8.9 are huge,
many crucial kernel, basic and trdos issues were substantially improved

Kernel: Fixed bug in M_GETSETDRV related with SYS ("$") drive
Kernel: Fixed another infinite loop when ESXDOS.SYS can't be loaded
BASIC: Added BIN variant to SAVE command - like CODE but doesn't write a header
BASIC: Added variable support in GO TO command, ie "GO TO a$" and "GOTO hd1;a$"
Tape Emulator: Added "ParityCheck" parameter to ESXDOS.CFG, which determines if parity is checked when loading .TAPs
NMI: Fixed AY silencer routine
NMI: Added ULAPlus pallette reset on entry and restore on exit

SD/MMC Driver: Fixed critical bug when extending directories
FAT Driver: Fixed a *critical* bug which corrupted the root directory when the disk was full
Kernel: Saved HL, IX and IY registers before RTC.SYS call
auto-LOAD: Copying arguments was using wrong syscall
BASIC: Fixed 2 bugs related to (patched) 128K ROM support, it should now be (almost) fully usable
BASIC: Fixed X_PTR overwrite on outside syscall entry
Tape Emulator: Fixed a critical bug when attaching .tap files that would cause all sorts of instability
vDisk: Added support for SCL (TR-DOS) disk images
TR-DOS: Updated TR-DOS Navigator
TR-DOS: Fixed bugs affecting (at least) "Star Heritage" game, "Tiratok" demo, "TASM 4.12" assembler, "Spectrofon" and "ZX-Format" diskmags and many others
TR-DOS: Added missing MOVE and FORMAT commands
TR-DOS: Fixed a bug that afected SCL images with more than 16 files
NMI: Added support for loading SCL files from the browser
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

I updated the esxDOS to 0.89. After I was pointed in the right direction this worked flawless. My question is, has anybody already tried to reflash the chip with the Roms? Currently the chip contains 2 diagnostic Roms that I don't need and lacks the Jupiter Ace Rom so reflashing this chip would make sense to me.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 pm I updated the esxDOS to 0.89. After I was pointed in the right direction this worked flawless. My question is, has anybody already tried to reflash the chip with the Roms? Currently the chip contains 2 diagnostic Roms that I don't need and lacks the Jupiter Ace Rom so reflashing this chip would make sense to me.
I have reflashed the ROM package to include 48k/Velesoft fixed 128k/DerbyPro/Latest +2e, and then added BBC BASIC, AGD ROM version for giggles.

I usually leave it set to DerbyPro, as it has a 128k BASIC editor that's almost (but not quite) as nice as the original.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

ZXDunny wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:34 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 pm I updated the esxDOS to 0.89. After I was pointed in the right direction this worked flawless. My question is, has anybody already tried to reflash the chip with the Roms? Currently the chip contains 2 diagnostic Roms that I don't need and lacks the Jupiter Ace Rom so reflashing this chip would make sense to me.
I have reflashed the ROM package to include 48k/Velesoft fixed 128k/DerbyPro/Latest +2e, and then added BBC BASIC, AGD ROM version for giggles.

I usually leave it set to DerbyPro, as it has a 128k BASIC editor that's almost (but not quite) as nice as the original.
Sounds like an interesting combination. As far as I see it the Omni expects 64K ROMs. Do you know if it is possible to also add 32K ROMs? Or even smaller ROMs like the Jupiter Ace Rom?
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:44 am
ZXDunny wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:34 pm

Sounds like an interesting combination. As far as I see it the Omni expects 64K ROMs. Do you know if it is possible to also add 32K ROMs? Or even smaller ROMs like the Jupiter Ace Rom?
Yes, but you have to fill the remaining space with copies of your ROM image. So if you have a 32Kb ROM image, you add it in twice. If you have a 16Kb ROM, you paste four of them into that slot. Works a treat.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

ZXDunny wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:58 am
Chris23235 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:44 am

Yes, but you have to fill the remaining space with copies of your ROM image. So if you have a 32Kb ROM image, you add it in twice. If you have a 16Kb ROM, you paste four of them into that slot. Works a treat.
Many thanks, I will give it a try, I just ordered an am29f040 plc. I am not familiar enough with this, so I want to be safe not to ruin the original chip.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

I flashed the Omni Rom, it worked fine, thanks for the help [mention]ZXDunny[/mention]

The Derby Pro Rom is a really good fit for the Omni.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:53 pm I flashed the Omni Rom, it worked fine, thanks for the help @ZXDunny

The Derby Pro Rom is a really good fit for the Omni.
It really is. I'm not a HUGE fan of the style the BASIC took - the indentation feels odd, the frankly enormous status messages (CAPS LOCK for instance) is completely useless and they could have dropped that to a LCGK character and re-added in the old Sinclair Stripe on the bar instead... And why it bothers with a (C) 1982 message when you start the BASIC editor is a total mystery.

Aside from that though, it's a lovely ROM.
waiwainl
Drutt

Post by waiwainl »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:44 pm I avoided ordering from Retro Radionics, because of this the shipping time was quite fast (3 weeks from ordering to shipping).
Is Retro Radionics that unreliable or slow?
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

waiwainl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:35 am Is Retro Radionics that unreliable or slow?
It's one guy in China who makes these (including the PCBs and cases), so he takes a while to work through his backlog - and then you have shipping from China to content with also. There was a parts (screens iirc) shortage last year or two that didn't help.

I ordered my Omni in April 2021, and it arrived January this year in two separate packages.

And I bloody love it.
waiwainl
Drutt

Post by waiwainl »

Thanks - so worth the wait :D
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

waiwainl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:02 am Thanks - so worth the wait :D
Well, it's a rubberkey form factor with a (admittedly a little shonky) laptop screen running hardware that allows you to access the best of the Spectrum - 128k, DivMMC/EsxDOS, Kempston/Sinclair joysticks, 7Mhz turbo mode, a freakin' RESET button...

And you can hook up a tape player if you like - I bought a MaxDuino Pro and it's delicious for TZX files.
Though apparently not all peripherals will work - the IF1 may not, for example. But you don't need any of that, just install Bob Fossil's browser and away you go with your massive collection of .tap files.
waiwainl
Drutt

Post by waiwainl »

Good to hear. The HDMI is still not working? Anybody knows the battery life of the ‘laptop’?

What is the best location to purchase it? I saw his .co.uk site obviously but noticed other locations as well (most were with higher prices).
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

waiwainl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:42 am Good to hear. The HDMI is still not working? Anybody knows the battery life of the ‘laptop’?
HDMI not working no. Battery life between 2 and 3 hours on 3.5mhz speed, charges when plugged in. Batteries are cheap enough to source on ebay - get some decent 3500mah.
What is the best location to purchase it? I saw his .co.uk site obviously but noticed other locations as well (most were with higher prices).
I went directly to Djordge Mitic on RetroRadionics. You're not gonna get it any cheaper than the guy who makes them :)
waiwainl
Drutt

Post by waiwainl »

ZXDunny wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:51 pm HDMI not working no. Battery life between 2 and 3 hours on 3.5mhz speed, charges when plugged in. Batteries are cheap enough to source on ebay - get some decent 3500mah.
Awesome. I take it batteries are not included? Djordge is not clear on his website on this.
ZXDunny wrote: I went directly to Djordge Mitic on RetroRadionics. You're not gonna get it any cheaper than the guy who makes them :)
Right so! Thanks - will do the same 😁
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

waiwainl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:06 pm Awesome. I take it batteries are not included? Djordge is not clear on his website on this.
Nope, you will have to source your own. I used these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Plasti ... 09P198PWB/ (but 3500mah) and here they are in my Omni:

And although you won't be needing it for at least a few months (probably a lot more) you can get a better explanation of the DIP switches here:

Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

waiwainl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:06 pm Awesome. I take it batteries are not included? Djordge is not clear on his website on this.

Right so! Thanks - will do the same 😁
I think you won't be disappointed. Some irritating quirks like the write protected EEPROMS can be easily overcome. The Omni became my main Spectrum very quick.
waiwainl
Drutt

Post by waiwainl »

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:23 am I think you won't be disappointed. Some irritating quirks like the write protected EEPROMS can be easily overcome. The Omni became my main Spectrum very quick.
Happy to hear that! :mrgreen:
waiwainl
Drutt

Post by waiwainl »

ZXDunny wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:25 pm Nope, you will have to source your own. I used these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Plasti ... 09P198PWB/ (but 3500mah) and here they are in my Omni:
Much appreciated - no problem to source those.
ZXDunny wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:25 pm And although you won't be needing it for at least a few months (probably a lot more) you can get a better explanation of the DIP switches here:
:lol: - thank you for managing my expectations!
kpuchatek
Drutt

Post by kpuchatek »

Hi,

Anybody found a way to update ESXDOS in ZX Omni ? Issue 4 is based on AT28C256 (compared to AT28C64 in standard divMMC), as I understand it contains two version of ESXDOS and two of UnoDOS. Unfortunately EEPROM is soldered, so any jumper configuration to enable flash ?
KWF
Drutt

Post by KWF »

yeah, counting DIP switches from the left:
S1 - DivMMC Flash ROM OFF / ON

The others are as shown in the photo in.the post above.
Claudius
----------
https://github.com/McKlaud76
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

kpuchatek wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:07 pm Hi,

Anybody found a way to update ESXDOS in ZX Omni ? Issue 4 is based on AT28C256 (compared to AT28C64 in standard divMMC), as I understand it contains two version of ESXDOS and two of UnoDOS. Unfortunately EEPROM is soldered, so any jumper configuration to enable flash ?
You cannot flash the EEPROM in-situ. The DIP switch has no effect.
kpuchatek
Drutt

Post by kpuchatek »

KWF is right - you can, probably it depends on ZX-Omni version. Two left switches are working, UP,DOWN makes the trick.
That's great since in my Omni AT28C256 is soldered.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

kpuchatek wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:45 pm KWF is right - you can, probably it depends on ZX-Omni version. Two left switches are working, UP,DOWN makes the trick.
That's great since in my Omni AT28C256 is soldered.
I have a Rev 4, it can't bel flashed in-situ. We tried.
kpuchatek
Drutt

Post by kpuchatek »

You can still have differences on the same PCB revision. Especially, AT28C256 has to be unprotected for flashing.
If it is in the socket, this can be fixed with external programmer.