Speccy Soccer

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Dodgypenguin
Drutt

Re: Speccy Soccer

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Yes, you can configure the controls in “options”. Just select configure controls and move kempston joystick to the requested directions to program it.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Morkin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:43 pm
Result in spoiler tags in case anyone was planning to watch the game this evening ;)
Spoiler
Score at end of 90 minutes = 1-1
WHAT KIND OF BLACK MAGIC FUCKERY IS THIS??? :shock:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:04 pm WHAT KIND OF BLACK MAGIC FUCKERY IS THIS??? :shock:
That settles it - I'm going to use this game to do the pools next week...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Morkin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:28 pm That settles it - I'm going to use this game to do the pools next week...
Haha, I thought the same! :mrgreen:
voxeltower
Drutt

Post by voxeltower »

ianace wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:21 pm Great looking game, is there kempston joystick support, cannot seem to find it in the options.
Yes, but you have to have the joystick plugged in when you start the game otherwise the game will auto-modify itself to not read it.

This is so because of the kempston interface problem that has in spectrum, that if you disconnect it, spectrum read random signals from port (this is why many games force you to select the type of joystick at the beginning).

I detect it when entering the game and if it doesn't work well, I deactivate it (auto-modify code). That's why I haven't put one of the default controls either, but you can configure it by redefining the controls without problems.

Thank you very much for the feedback JMcGibbitts.

As the game is free there is no problem in using real teams and names.

There is no space to save individual player skills, so team skills are spread across all players in each match. Obviously this is not the best solution, but it adds variety to the game and doesn't take up as much space.

Players are prerotated at 2 pixels, but the stadium sprites are prerotated at 4 pixels and there is not enough memory to pre-rotate them to 2 pixels. Rotating them in real time is not a viable option in this game.

I would have liked to give more options but I have not been able to fit more code in the available space. In any case, if I make another version I will remember your feedback

Later I'll look at the pokes to change the music and speed and I'll tell you.
voxeltower
Drutt

Post by voxeltower »

I have noticed a bug in the AI level, I fix it and uploaded.

Poke list:

0x874F SPEED (value 6 = SPEED 1, value 12 = SPEED 2, value 255 = SPEED 3)
0x84A6 TIME (value 100 = TIME 3, value 166 = TIME 5, value 250 = TIME 8)
0x84CA COLOR SCHEME (use any spectrum values por background and foreground color)
0x84B2 LEVEL (value 1, 2 or 3)
0x858F MUSIC IN GAME (value 1 = YES, value 4 = NO ambient sound)
0x95DF DISABLE TURBO MODE ON NEXT (set to 201 and the game run equals than spectrum 128kb)

default keys are...
const u16 keysUp[4]= {Key_zx_Q, Key_zx_X, Key_zx_4, Key_zx_9};
const u16 keysDown[4]= {Key_zx_A, Key_zx_X, Key_zx_3, Key_zx_8};
const u16 keysLeft[4]= {Key_zx_O, Key_zx_X, Key_zx_1, Key_zx_6};
const u16 keysRight[4]={Key_zx_P, Key_zx_X, Key_zx_2, Key_zx_7};
const u16 keysFire[4]= {Key_zx_SPACE,Key_zx_X, Key_zx_5, Key_zx_0};

to poke it:
keysUp 0x8FB7
keysDown 0x8FBF
keysLeft 0x8FC7
keysRight 0x8FCF
keysFire 0x8FD7

Remember that if you change any value it will not be shown in the options menu but it will works in game.
Another values than recommended ones can cause the game crash.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Just tried Amstrad version, it looks amazing!

Hmm, graphics are great, but the jerky horizontal scroll kills the gameplay.
Also, AI ​​looks clearly better in the Spectrum version...
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

JMcGibbitts wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:37 am I'm not sure if the in-game music is distracting or if affects frame rate, but I found the game slightly easier by turning the music off. :D
I didn't notice this comment earlier but I have to agree. There are many game types that are enhanced by music but I think most sports games and especially football seem to be more immersive by way of sound effects (like crowd cheers and whistles etc.) but without any music. The only exception would be short temporary jingles like you also occasionally hear them in real football matches.
voxeltower
Drutt

Post by voxeltower »

XTM wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:07 pm I didn't notice this comment earlier but I have to agree. There are many game types that are enhanced by music but I think most sports games and especially football seem to be more immersive by way of sound effects (like crowd cheers and whistles etc.) but without any music. The only exception would be short temporary jingles like you also occasionally hear them in real football matches.
There are equal opinions about music in sports games, in CPC Soccer there were many players who told me that they missed in-game music. In any case, remember that in Speccy Soccer you can change the music to ambient sound by pressing the X key when the game is stopped.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I can understand why many footy fans would prefer a more 'realistic' experience with no music, so it's more like a simulation of real life. Though personally I'm fine with music in a football game - as long as it's appropriate, subtle, not too distracting. However, in a competitive sports game, crowd sound effects are WAY more important, so if I'm given the choice between music or crowd effects (which Speccy Soccer gives) there's no contest - crowd sounds win! yeeeeeeEEEEAAAAAAaaahh!