ZX Dev MIA-Remakes - The new ZX Dev is already here!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

ZX Dev MIA-Remakes - The new ZX Dev is already here!

Post by Ivanzx »

Hi folks! :)

The new edition of the ZX Dev has today started! The thema is this time MIA (Missing in action) and Remakes ;)

Feel free to join the forums, and of course feel free to do games! :)

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com/
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: ZX Dev MIA-Remakes - The new ZX Dev is already here!

Post by R-Tape »

Great! I was getting worried about you Ivan :D

I hope I can manage something more polished this time.
Cgonzalez
Drutt

Post by Cgonzalez »

Cool!

Here's a good iist of MIA, it may inspire someone
http://www.tzxvault.org/time.htm
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Cgonzalez wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:15 am Cool!

Here's a good iist of MIA, it may inspire someone
http://www.tzxvault.org/time.htm
That's an interesting list. Although Terrorballs has been recovered, it's not listed in ZXDB as far as I can see.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Yes, there are some MIAs in that list but it would be more accurate to use the WoS search for MIAs (I just saw that it is not implemented yet in Spectrum Computing, but Im sure it will be ;) )

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... s=3&page=1

There are more than 3000 MIAs, and since participants can remake any game released for the Spectrum, the amount of possibilities is infinite :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Great idea for the compo!

The last compo was a big success so I have some hopes with this one.
I wonder if we'll have some big quality games: Giana Sisters, Toki, Mire Mare? ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 pm I wonder if we'll have some big quality games: Giana Sisters, Toki, Mire Mare? ;)
The hard part of this one is already done ;)

Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

By the way, we have already 8 donors for the prize and therefore, 8 judges, all spanish. What is going on with the international Spectrum scene, no love for the Dev? :roll: :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

What is going on with the international Spectrum scene, no love for the Dev?
Just do you job and don't worry about anything guys! ;)

The last compo was a big success and as I recall it had entries from many countries, including my game from Poland.
Let's hope it will be the same this time.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Ralf wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:34 pm
What is going on with the international Spectrum scene, no love for the Dev?
Just do you job and don't worry about anything guys! ;)

The last compo was a big success and as I recall it had entries from many countries, including my game from Poland.
Let's hope it will be the same this time.
Hehe, yes, but I was talking about the people who donate for the prize to become part of the jury :D
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

And the first entry is already here :)

By the magician Cristian González, one of the masters of Nirvana, comes Manic Miner remake, which is a remake of MM in multicolour :O

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com ... me-defined

I know this one is going to cause a lot of talk! ;) looking good!
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

The prize had already passed the 250€ mark, so people you should start coding! 😉
By the way, like I said, many backers for the prize, and all Spanish, what happens with the British/international community?? Is it because a Spanish person is organizing it? There is no trust? 😞
Remember that the money will be paid directly from the backers and judges to the winners, I will touch nothing.
Cgonzalez
Drutt

Post by Cgonzalez »

Here's a little screenshot of first screen almost 90% Working

By the way someone knows Mick Farrow?, I will love to use some of his loading screens.

Regards
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

By the magician Cristian González, one of the masters of Nirvana, comes Manic Miner remake
If I may ask, how does it apply to the rules? As far as I know Manic Miner isn't a MIA game ;) What am I missing?
Cgonzalez
Drutt

Post by Cgonzalez »

Ralf wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:21 pm
By the magician Cristian González, one of the masters of Nirvana, comes Manic Miner remake
If I may ask, how does it apply to the rules? As far as I know Manic Miner isn't a MIA game ;) What am I missing?
Ralf, these are the rules, MIAs n Remakes:

The main themes are MIA (Missing in action) and Remakes. This means that to participate, any game can either be a Spectrum game based on a Spectrum title which was in the 80s and 90s a MIA game, that means never released for the Spectrum, or a Spectrum Remake of an existing game for the Spectrum. Authors can decide if they want to use the same names as in the original ones or want to change it, but they have to indicate the original inspiration. There are no restrictions regarding how a MIA or Remake game has to be developed. It is recommended to use the World of Spectrum or Spectrum Computing search engines in order to get all the MIA titles for the Spectrum.

This game is a remake of manic miner, using z88dk, Nirvana+ and AY sounds.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Looks nice! But perhaps a touch too colourful - the stalactites, the bushes, the text stand out. (I'm guessing the keys have a colour roll...)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

The ZX Dev MIA & Remakes keeps rolling on. By now we have 4 projects!! and the prize is almost 700€!! And still plenty of time to code or submit your games, as the deadline is in March and the prize can even go higher ;)

If you want to see how the projects of the games are going, check here:

http://zx-dev-mia-remakes.proboards.com ... ies-juegos

Is anybody from here thining to enter?? :)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ivanzx wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm There are rumours that a Toki conversion may happen!!! :o :o
Fantastic. Your plan worked, if you kept repeating the ZXDEV it was bound to happen!

Radastan seems to be a finisher so I think this one will happen. I suspect the screens shown here have more code behind them than the probable mock-up that appeared in Crash.
I will, but probably as part of the exodus that submits in the last months of the comp.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am
Ivanzx wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm There are rumours that a Toki conversion may happen!!! :o :o
Fantastic. Your plan worked, if you kept repeating the ZXDEV it was bound to happen!

Radastan seems to be a finisher so I think this one will happen. I suspect the screens shown here have more code behind them than the probable mock-up that appeared in Crash.
I will, but probably as part of the exodus that submits in the last months of the comp.
The good thing is that Radastan has gathered a whole team to develop the game, which is necessary given the size of the task! And all of them are creme de la creme! ;)

Ok, I am intrigued to see what you will submit, if a MIA or a Remake... :ugeek:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Is anybody from here thining to enter??
I could enter with a bit of trickery about the rules.

I have a 80% completed game which is a remake of PC game but there also exists some another, obscure and humble remake of that game on Spectrum.
So I may claim that my game is a remake of that Spectrum remake, right? :lol:

I don't want to say more at the moment ;)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Ralf wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 pm
Is anybody from here thining to enter??
I could enter with a bit of trickery about the rules.

I have a 80% completed game which is a remake of PC game but there also exists some another, obscure and humble remake of that game on Spectrum.
So I may claim that my game is a remake of that Spectrum remake, right? :lol:

I don't want to say more at the moment ;)
It sounds totally legal, as long as there is a Spectrum game, you can submit yours as Remake, no matter how obscure the original remake is ;)

Any clue? :ugeek:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Any clue?
It would be an adventure game, type of "talk to person, get object, use it on something" But not a typed text game, it will be with graphics and clickable menu. And I really don't wont to say more at the moment ;)
Radastan seems to be a finisher so I think this one will happen.
I like your optimism Ivan ;) but unfortunately I feel differently.

If I remember correctly Radastan was behind the Castlevania project which after many years turned out to be a vapourware.
When it was announced people really had big hopes about it. Then years passed and we never got even the smallest demo, just the hollow
promises that the work goes on. And then Sanchez from Russia came and did it independently from scratch in one year.

So Radastan scored a few minus points for me. But I'll try to be open-minded, if something comes out from Toki project all this stuff will be forgiven and forgotten ;)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Ralf wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:59 am
Any clue?
It would be an adventure game, type of "talk to person, get object, use it on something" But not a typed text game, it will be with graphics and clickable menu. And I really don't wont to say more at the moment ;)
Radastan seems to be a finisher so I think this one will happen.
I like your optimism Ivan ;) but unfortunately I feel differently.

If I remember correctly Radastan was behind the Castlevania project which after many years turned out to be a vapourware.
When it was announced people really had big hopes about it. Then years passed and we never got even the smallest demo, just the hollow
promises that the work goes on. And then Sanchez from Russia came and did it independently from scratch in one year.

So Radastan scored a few minus points for me. But I'll try to be open-minded, if something comes out from Toki project all this stuff will be forgiven and forgotten ;)
Hmm it is really nice to hear that you are preparing an Icon driven adventure! I am now giving Zombi by Ubisoft a try and like the system a lot! Looking forward to seeing what exactly is!

As for Toki, I didnt say that sentence you quoted, it was Dave, actually ;)
I also have to see it to believe it, it is a huge project and not easy, but the good thing is that Radastan has assembled a team in order to get it done :)
Let´s see but it won´t be easy.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Actually it won't be icons but clickable words, like in Lucas games. But no, it's not a remake of any Lucas game ;)

Still it should save you a lot of frustration coming from "word hunting", when you know the right thing to do but the parser sucks and doesn't understand you.