Weird YouTube search results?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Weird YouTube search results?

Post by Lee Bee »

Is anyone else is having trouble searching YouTube for specific Spectrum walkthroughs?

For example, if you search Google for Ninjajar! Walkthrough, ZX Spectrum or Brunilda Walkthrough, ZX Spectrum, these videos come up as the top result.

But when I search YouTube for these exact terms, all it shows me is:

• A Final Fight walkthrough
• 4 "People also watched" videos (including Jack The Nipper II)
• 3 "For you" videos, which have nothing to do with videogames
• 3 "Previously watched" videos
• Then "No more results"

Could this be censorship? I know that all Big Tech actively suppress and hide content made by their political opponents.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Re: Weird YouTube search results?

Post by 8BitAG »

Perhaps just crappy personalised YouTube search algorithm trying to be too clever. I don't get them when I type those searches in, but at least it's closer...

8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Lee Bee,

Most database entries already have links to YouTube walkthroughs. For example:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... m/Ninjajar

If you find any missing just add the via the preservation tools.

You could try clearing your search history via Google's privacy settings
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Sometimes you have to select the filter and set 'Sort by' to 'Upload date'. That truly gives you results pretty much centred on what you search for. The default filter will throw all kinds of rubbish in there, every so often you'll see things relating to videos you typically watch (which is no good when you want to find something specific and new).

The truly annoying and imbecilic things in this era of the internet are the crazy randomness of social media 'top' algorithms, which some hidden formula drives up results THEY think are relevant to you, but often aren't. Gone are the days you'd have newest stuff at the top, all laid out perfectly chronologically. Facebook's plagued with the same old three-day posts I've already seen from friends reacting to old news. Twitter loves to default you towards their similarly shuffled feed of stuff, it happens on Instagram and other places. This foul plague is even affecting LinkedIn now! Chronology seems to have gone out of fashion.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Thanks, guys! :-)

Oh and don't you just hate those "shorts" that YouTube has started littering the search results with lately?
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Lee Bee wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:12 pm Thanks, guys! :-)

Oh and don't you just hate those "shorts" that YouTube has started littering the search results with lately?
Yep. Facebook is doing the same with video "reels". They've noticed that TikTok is the new big thing "with the kids", and are desperately trying to emulate it for the short-attention-span market, I think.