how to get a divide 57c to work ......

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
jojo
Dizzy

how to get a divide 57c to work ......

Post by jojo »

no divide logo at startup , no function at nmi button .

can some member please advice me which files to put where to get this thing working well

error must be in the divide as i tested it on several spectrums with the same results ( nothing happens ) , no divide logo at satruop nothing happens

i verified the gal's , they are ok
i verified the eeprom , it verifies against the file i think should be in there ( yes , a raw file )

so what files needs to go were , eeprom , gal's and cf card ?
and how to get all functions on the spectrums screen ?

any advice highly appreciated

jojo
- Zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum 128- Interface 1& 2 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo-Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst floppy interf.- Double 3.5 fd- Minerva - Qimi-and much more .
drdivago
Dizzy

Re: how to get a divide 57c to work ......

Post by drdivago »

Have you already looked at this site? https://divide.speccy.cz/
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

that is were i started , my age is against me ,

so i need a step-by-step guide .

i verified all my work numerous times and nothing happens , so i must be doing something wrong ( but what ) .

if only i would know which files i should use for the hardware , then i could put the correct files on the cf card to see if it is working .

all my spectrums give the same result ( nothing )
- Zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum 128- Interface 1& 2 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo-Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst floppy interf.- Double 3.5 fd- Minerva - Qimi-and much more .
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

You need to know which DOS/firmware is burned to the FLASH (esxDOS or something else) and which version of it. From that list at divide.speccy.cz there's at least seven different firmwares, each with their own versions. The files you put on the CF card have to match the version of the DOS on the card.

If the divIDE is not working, it's hard to know that without reFLASHing yourself. But maybe your raw file tells you this. Can you share what it is here? Can you ask the person who you got it from?

If you're reflashing yourself you can just start again, but the instructions will depend on which DOS/firmware you want to use.

For esxDOS at least, when the device is working properly you should get a splash screen that says esxDOS and the version when you first power on, or when you hold space while resetting (if Spectrum has a reset button). Even if the CF card is not present. I don't know about other firmwares.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

he told me i always should use .raw files to burn the eeprom .

i think the problem lays there , i need a .raw file which should get me started.

then the accompanying files to be put on my cf card ( cf card in adaptor in divide ) .

if you could help me ....................

i can not convert a bin file into a raw so can not burn it into the eeprom to start with.

Esxide 089 .bin file is readable in my burner - and me - ( so it is not manipulated to work correctly on the board. )
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

finally got it right with the ram tester ;

did a test with all 4 and they all pass as visible above.

62256 chip , so that should be alright

What will be the next step , please ......
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

okay ,

so now i have flashed the eeprom with exsdos 089 ( .tap file ) ,

and formatted my cf card ( standard 96mb ) , placed the SYS , BIN and TMP folder on it ( all from exsdos 089 )

and nothing happens at boot up ( standard spectrum start up ) .

so , what am i doing wrong here.
Last edited by jojo on Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

jojo wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:16 pm okay ,

so now i have flashed the eeprom with exsdos 089 ,

and formatted my cf card ( standard 96mb ) , placed the SYS , BIN and TMP folder on it ( all from exsdos 089 )

and nothing happens at boot up ( standard spectrum start up ) .

so , what am i doing wrong here.
Missing from the list is the placement of jumper JP2, after flashing, to write-protect the 28C64.
Have you set the jumper JP1 corresponding to your Spectrum machine ?
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

after flashing jp2 closed , and for a spectrum 48k jp1 off

so flashing from .tap file goes well .
divide memory test from .tap file too 32 kb detected

but even without cf card no logo or anything .
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

esxdos must work (minimally) without device IDE
Imageхранение фото
after the reset, the space button is interrogated, if it is clamped, all information will be visible.

I came across the fact that a healthy device does not work on some speccys. usually it was a board inserted at offset, dirty contacts, or knocked out by the M1 on the processor.
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

m1 , how to test that ?? , need to get my scope out agian .

as all my 8 spectrums show the same result ( nothing ) ........baffled

i have re-flashed the eeprom and verifies with eprom programmer and those match .
divide mamory test re run and 32k is available .

but nothing , just a normal startup .

What can be wrong here??

i will have a look if i have a spare z80 and swap one out.
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

I don't know your skills.
minimum, it is necessary to open the spectrum and check that the romCS signal comes to the board.
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

I will get my test-gear , and do that test this weekend.

is there anything more to test ?

as i have the same behavior on all my spectrums ( all m1-less z80's ?? )
Tiger
Dizzy

Post by Tiger »

Hello,
i it possible to show a picture of your DivIDE pcb (both sides?). I think it could be a problem with an inkompatible EEPROM ...
https://divide.cz/index.php?x=howto
Was everything as described at step 14 of the manual? (Jumper 'E' not inserted) Did the BORDER flash? Have you inserted jumper 'E' after BORDER flashing? I for myself didn't used the tap-file, I always programmed the EPROM directly with an programmer (TL866).
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

no , not as described .

tried 2 different brands of eeprom , and 3 different brands of eprom => result NOTHING
have versions of the pcb with rn1 and c8 and without , no change in behavior.

i think in chapter 14 is the description of how the screen looks during flashing of the eeprom ( and that bit does work ok )

Tiger
Dizzy

Post by Tiger »

:shock: in the DivIDE 57c I had there where no component between R9 and the EEPROM. I think it is RN1 - never used it.
Imho there is something with the program in the EEPROM or the GAL(s).
Last edited by Tiger on Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

i have tested that version too ( have 5 units ) , and the result is the same => nothing

as i can flash the eeprom from a tap file there is some comunication that way ( don't know how the program is working ) .
i can verify the ram , so there must be communication too .

don't understand why it is not working on all my spectrums ( all m1-less z80 professors ?? )

i will socket one of my spectrums as i have 3 different z80 chips , so new tests .
Tiger
Dizzy

Post by Tiger »

All black pcb's? Is it possible that there is an layout failure? :roll:
Is pin 3 S1 connected with pin 19 IC1?
Everything looks good at this board (components, soldering points), but if all 5 boards as the same make (black pcb's) it is possible that the pcb's itself have a problem ...
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

pin 19 ic1 -> s1 -> pin14 con1 nmi .

pcb and logic info taken from ;

/home/zilog/eagle/divIDE/divIDE_57c.sch at 11/24/2004 23:18:29
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

@ goodboy ,

i can flash the eeprom , so t1/t2 do work as i get an error as soon as i try to do that with jp1 on ( or is my assumption wrong ? )
Tiger
Dizzy

Post by Tiger »

Ok - you're flashing your EEPROM via the tap-file with your Spectrum? I always programmed them with an TL866II. Programming with an audio-signal could be a problem - your Speccy responds with "R-tape loading error", but the EEPROM doesn't quit with a signal. It will work or not after starting new, isn't it?
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

i have flashed the eeprom with my programmer ( no actions at all ) used raw file !!
i have flashed the eeprom with the audio file ( no actions at all ) .
both actions completed without errors.

i compared the files with my programmer , and both the audio flashed as the programmed eeprom verified against the digital rom file ( made with permutor )
Tiger
Dizzy

Post by Tiger »

:? but it didn't work at all - sorry can't help :(
jojo
Dizzy

Post by jojo »

no problem you helped a lot .

hope there is another member who can assist me ?

goodboy made some suggestions , let's hope they will bring me futher