ZX Spectrum games you completed on your first go

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

ZX Spectrum games you completed on your first go

Post by PeteProdge »

You pull the cellophane off, load it up, select your controls, go into it and BANG! You've completed it! Won the day! ON YOUR FIRST EVER GO!

I can't actually think of a specific commercial game I've bought where I did that, but there may well be a covertape game that I stormed first time. There's Aliens Neoplasma which I finished on my second or third go...
Spoiler
(Come to think of it, the closest I've come - and this is about ALL platforms - would be Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Second Edition for the PlayStation 2 which I 'won' a million on my second go. Alright, so it's a glorified pub quiz, I know, I know, but, same difficulty as the TV show. I'm owed a million!)
Anyway, have you done this amazing feat? It was probably Bruce Lee, wasn't it?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum games you completed on your first go

Post by worcestersource »

Very possibly Moon Cresta.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Yie Ar Kung Fu. - requires some kind of serious outside interference to not complete that one.
Likely a few games involving skill-less bashing / waggling - Daley Thompson / Hypersports / Track and Field style.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Terminator 2. Probably one of the easiest games ever made. Although it was thankfully "borrowed" off a friend so I hadn't wasted actual money on it.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Possibly Bruce Lee, although it might of been a couple of attempts I'm not sure, reason being I know it took a couple of attempts on "other machines"

The Manic Miner 'experience' had taught me to play simple platform games well (sort of)
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Green Beret and Ghosts 'n' Goblins. Obviously. And anyone that took more than one go is a loser.

(Actually I did all the stages in Beach Head, but not on my first go)
CLEAR 23855
J. Pirés
Drutt

Post by J. Pirés »

I remember 'Phantis' by Dinamic. I completed it on the first loading. If it wasn't on the first attempt, it was on the second.
It wasn't something common in those days.

And more recently,
Aliens: Neoplasma
Redshift (medium level)

There are many others from different platforms.
Most of them are 'Walking Simulators':
The Stanley Parable
What Remains of Edith Finch?
Firewatch
Dear Esther
Gone Home
Journey
RANDOMIZE USR 1333
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I don't think I completed a single Speccy game on my first go. That's impossible, surely...?!

I mean even games like Bruce Lee must have taken me >10 attempts to finish.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

I don't think I've ever completed any game first go, but I can split my collection up into four different catorgories:

Ones I completed within the first six months to a year e.g. Bruce Lee, Pyjamarama, Finders Keepers, Sam Cruise, Back To Skool

Ones that took a bit longer - Where Time Stood Still, Bored Of The Rings, Ant Attack, Everyone's A Wally, The Hobbit, Three Weeks in Paradise, Wriggler (which I completed once by a complete fluke) and Manic Miner (which I managed get through all 20 caverns a mere 34 years after first playing)

The so near but so far - Antics (I can usually reach Boris but always run out of energy on way back)

Nowhere near completing - everything else
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I think I did complete Bruce Lee first time, but a few years' ago. I never played it BITD.

BITD I quickly completed Saboteur on easy. Once you've learned the map for that it's a given. I suppose it doesn't count and you have to complete it on the harder levels, but in my book if you escape in the chopper you've done the job.

More recently I remember playing the infamous Double Dragon and The Running man and making such easy progress that I wondered if they were cracked versions (they weren't).
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Cobra's Arc by Dinamic (YES, BY DINAMIC!).
Sham Mountebank
Dizzy

Post by Sham Mountebank »

Equinox by Micro-Gen because like an idiot I used an infinite lives poke on my first go. I never made that mistake again.
Where Were They Now? A blog tracking down Britain's pioneering video games houses.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

I can't remember a game "completed" on my first go, but when I reviewed Raid Over Moscow on YouTube, I accidentally completed the game on my first run. I played it when I was a child and maybe occasionally a handful of times in the last 20 years.