Clone Wars (Asteroids): vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:26 am

Asteroids by Your Computer (type-in listing)
5%
Asteroids RX by Highrise
26%
Blasteroids by Image Works
26%
Cosmic Debris by Artic Computing
21%
Covidians by maeloterkim
No votes
Meteor Storm by Quicksilva
16%
Meteoroids by DK'Tronics
No votes
Meteoroids by Softek
No votes
Planetoids by Sinclair Research
5%

Total votes: 19

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Get your rocks off, get your rocks off, honey
Shake it now, now, get'em off downtown
Get your rocks off, get you rocks off, honey
Shake it now now, get'em off downtown

Asteroids by Your Computer (type-in listing)

Asteroids RX by Highrise

Blasteroids by Image Works

Cosmic Debris by Artic Computing

Covidians by maeloterkim

Meteor Storm by Quicksilva

Meteoroids by DK'Tronics

Meteoroids by Softek

Planetoids by Sinclair Research
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Clone Wars (Asteroids): vote

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

1 Metero Storm
2 Cosmic Debris
3 Meteoroids
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Blasteroids
2 Meteoroids (DK Tronics)
3 Meteor Storm
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

1. Asteroids RX
2. Cosmic Debris
3. Planetoids
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Thanks for the votes chaps. I probably shouldn't be allowed to vote for my own game, but just to be clear, Asteroids RX recreates both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe. Blasteroids is not technically a clone of Asteroids at all, it's a conversion of, well, Blasteroids.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Meteor Storm
2. Meteroids - DK'Tronics
3. Meteroids - Softek

Meteor Storm gets this by whisker, probably for nostalgic reasons as it was one of the first games I played. My uncle had the Argus Press 30 Games compilation and it was on that.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

highrise wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:17 am Thanks for the votes chaps. I probably shouldn't be allowed to vote for my own game, but just to be clear, Asteroids RX recreates both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe. Blasteroids is not technically a clone of Asteroids at all, it's a conversion of, well, Blasteroids.
You can always vote for your own game and I encourage you to do so if you genuinely believe it deserves the merit.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

"Meteor Alert..!! Meteor Alert..!!"

1. Meteor Storm
2. Planetoids
3. Cosmic Debris

The Asteroids remake looks pretty cool/authentic but I'm afraid I haven't played it.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Cosmic Debris. Asteroids is a bit rubbish though generally.
Tan Coul
Dizzy

Post by Tan Coul »

I had to vote for Planetoids as it was literally the first game I ever played on my brand new birthday present Speccy 48K back in '83.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Always loved Asteroids - Meteor Storm was one of the first Spectrum games I got. Cosmic Debris was my favourite Spectrum version for 40 years, but Asteroids RX is clearly the best

1) Asteroids RX
2) Cosmic Debris - smooth and deadly difficult
3) Meteor Storm
Definition of loop : see loop
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

¿No love for Afteroids (Zigurat)?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

zup wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:05 pm ¿No love for Afteroids (Zigurat)?
Two things to bring up here.

The 'discussion' phase of this is where people can suggest games to be considered for the poll. This lasts for seven days, we take into consideration all viable suggestions and we sometimes debate some of the 'fringe' contenders. You should have suggested this over a week ago!

That said, I've just given Afteroids a go, and it's not really an Asteroids clone. Sure, there's an element of Asteroids in it, but it's kind of mixed in with being a vertical-scrolling shooter. It wouldn't have passed!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

The homebrew game Asteroids RX by Highrise and Blasteroids by Image Works are tying for top place, with 5 votes each! Oh dear, can we break the deadlock in the proportional results? Meanwhile, the rest fof the phpBB forum poll...

Second place goes to Cosmic Debris by Artic Computing, 4 votes.

Third place goes to Meteor Storm by Quicksilva, 3 votes.

Then we have joint fourth place, where 1 vote each goes to the Your Computer type-in listing for Asteroids and Sinclair Research's Planetoids.

Anyway, as we said, we need to find the definitive winner that could pop up in the proportional results and... oh... it's neither of those two! It's Meteor Storm by Quicksilva!

Meteor Storm by Quicksilva 11
Cosmic Debris by Artic Computing 7
Asteroids RX by Highrise 6
Meteoroids by DK'Tronics 5
Blasteroids by Image Works 3
Planetoids by Sinclair Research 3
Meteoroids by Softek 1
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

I think in general when you have a tie like this, you use the proportional votes as a tiebreaker don't you? i.e to 'break' the deadlock between the top two rather than reset the whole system? I realise that means Asteroids RX wins, but I would still stand by that method either way.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

highrise wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:21 pm I think in general when you have a tie like this, you use the proportional votes as a tiebreaker don't you? i.e to 'break' the deadlock between the top two rather than reset the whole system? I realise that means Asteroids RX wins, but I would still stand by that method either way.
I go for the winner of the proportional vote, so this one goes to Meteor Storm... even though I personally think Asteroids RX should have it!
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

well, you know, it's just for fun, but what i don't understand is that if the proportional vote trumps the entire original vote, why not just use the proportional vote in the first place? it doesn't really make sense because essentially in the event of a tie, you scrap the original votes completely. Anyway, your gaff, your rules.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

highrise wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:10 am well, you know, it's just for fun, but what i don't understand is that if the proportional vote trumps the entire original vote, why not just use the proportional vote in the first place? it doesn't really make sense because essentially in the event of a tie, you scrap the original votes completely. Anyway, your gaff, your rules.
There's never going to be a perfect way to determine it and I don't like it when, as we are in this situation, we have games X and Y tied in the forum poll but the proportional results throw up game Z. More people tend to vote in the forum poll than the proportional one.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Eeesh. Not wanting to be pedantic, but playing through these now, most of them are horrible. The mini-game in Everyone's A Wally beats most of them.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

I'd say it's not about finding the perfect way, but rather the best way - I think (1) using the proportional vote to break the deadlock between the most votes, or (2) re-open the voting with a 'golden vote' (i.e close when there is a winner), are both better than going back and changing the whole system.

and yes, bluespikey, most of them barely fit the description, in fact that was the conclusion that Paul from the Spectrum Show came to, which was part of the reason that i wrote Asteroids RX. I'm not saying I made the perfect version, but I hope you give it a play :)