Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
balford
Drutt

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by balford »

Hi everyone!

I'm Brendan, you may remember me from such things as zx-diagnostics (shamefully plugged in my sig), and from the Spectrum For Everyone FB group.

Just wanted to say Hi and best of luck with the site :)
Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century
https://github.com/brendanalford/zx-diagnostics
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi everyone,

I'm Mike (some people know me online as Isofarro). Grew up with a rubber key ZX Spectrum and then a grey +2, and Sinclair User in South Africa in the eighties. Relocated back to the UK in 1999, and quickly started collecting Spectrum games, focused on games I wanted back in the day. Regular on comp.sys.sinclair on Usenet.

Still retro-collecting ZX Spectrum games, also exploring the Atari ST and the Amstrad CPC. I'm still treating the Amstrad CPC as that next step between the Spectrum 128k and the Loki Super Spectrum. Considering the design on the Sinclair User scoop still looks very much like an Amstrad CPC to me.

I'm currently fascinated with investigative pieces into the games we cherished, so I'm in research-mode digging into the story behind games. So having a reliable catalogue that can be trusted, Spectrum Computing is my favoured resource right now, so I am keen on seeing it succeed as an independent, community supported alternative to that other place.
jmk
Drutt

Post by jmk »

Hello!

I'm the former author of the X128 emulator and a few (failed) attempts at writing some Spectrum games.

I'm looking forward to the site going from strength to strength.
Just like before, it's yesterday once more.
deKay
Drutt

Post by deKay »

Hello!

I was mostly a lurker on WOS and will probably be so on here too, but thought I'd say hello anyway :)

I have done nothing of note*, but those who know me know me, if you see what I mean.

Currently trying to remake Best Game Ever, Run Baby Run, on PICO-8, and I host the ugvm podcast.

* I was on Inside Out once talking about Spectrums and Clive Sinclair, but that was decades ago.
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Post by chinnyhill10 »

Chinny here from Twitter and that there Youtube. Used to lurk on the place we shall not name with occasional posts and was a regular on comp.sys.sinclair back in the 90's. I even own the +3 of a prominent CSS poster as I ended up working with him years later and he gifted me it when he moved house!
Jet5y
Drutt

Post by Jet5y »

Hi all,

I'm Paul Monaghan, not to be mixed up with the 'other' Paul Monaghan that does podcasts. Been involved in Speccy's since I was a wee nipper like most I guess and now burying myself in Speccy stuff and doing a pretty good job of it.

Cya!
EdwardCatflap
Drutt

Post by EdwardCatflap »

Hello

Just a quick post to say Hello and congrats on setting up a new Spectrum site.

Long time Speccy owner back in the day before I sold it all. Slowly rebuilding a collection.

The Speccy community needs something fresh away from certain people so good luck 🙂
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

Hi,

I'm Rich and the odd one or two of you may know me from that other site.
I don't post all that often but hope I'm bordering on being rational when I do :)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Hello, my name is Morkin and it took me over 30 years to get Bugaboo out of his cave. :?

I thought I'd better join before someone else snaffled up ''Morkin" for a nickname... :lol:

Nice to see the addition of a forum to this site, the more Speccy sites the better as far as I'm concerned!
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Hello, I'm Craig Stevenson also known in various places as redballoon or @hot_piping on Twitter.
I'm a ZX Spectrum graphic artist and freelance illustrator. I've produced artwork for Edge magazine (most notably, the ZX Spectrum GTA Vice City cover for their 20th Anniversay), Bitmap Books (new pixel artwork their Visual Compendium series of books including the ZX Spectrum one), ROM Publishing (articles for Elite and their Britsoft book) amongst various others.

I've produced graphics/loading screens for a few recent Spectrum games but can no longer give my time to do this due to paid freelance work and life, and when I do, it has to be during spare time in between jobs and only be a small amount of work. I'll still produce new original ZX Spectrum artwork, though.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Hi, I'm Derek Fountain, just one more professional software developer whose 30 year career started the day he brought a Spectrum home in 1983 (just after the 48K model came down in price). Like most of us I was a keen gamer back then, but I lost interest in games fairly quickly when I discovered programming. I was the first in my school to find the infinite lives poke for Jet Set Willy. :)

I'd love to be able to spend more time with the Spectrum scene, but alas real life gets in the way a bit too often. Here's hoping though.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
filipe.veiga
Drutt

Post by filipe.veiga »

Hello, I'm another guy who likes ZX Spectrum, I had my first (second-hand) zx spectrum in 1989; since then it's been my hobby and I thank for it because it sparked my career as a programmer.
I'm more active in the Portuguese scene and on facebook groups, but I'll try to participate more in this forum (I'm a bit shy :oops: )
Argys Attic
Drutt

Post by Argys Attic »

Hi I'm Jay from Atherstone, Warks

I'm a spectrum fan but because I'm hanging around those who love sinclair products, my interests are be coming more diverse in the sinclair range.

I'm also known in a lot of groups on Facebook and is building up a repair service from scratch after leaving the repair scene for a number of years due to a motorcycle accident that left me with a long recovery time physically and mentally

Electronics is my hobby as well as Retro Computing.

Am I mental? ...yes
hoolicooluk
Drutt

Post by hoolicooluk »

Hello all :D

I'm big Spectrum fan, I've owned every model and have played most of the games. Now I'm a host of the Retro Asylum podcast.

Great to see this site appear. Cheers, Paul
Collieuk
Drutt

Post by Collieuk »

I'm Collieuk and I mostly talk irrelevant bollocks about the ZX Spectrum on YouTube and Twitter, and occasionally to people in my day to day life too if I can stop them running away first. I still harbour a grudge to those who owned C64's as a child, even after all these years.
Another wonderfully irrelevant and inept post no doubt.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Hullo. I got my Spectrum in late 2013, 'tis never too late to join the party, right?. :)
Collieuk
Drutt

Post by Collieuk »

Ersh wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm Hullo. I got my Spectrum in late 2013, 'tis never too late to join the party, right?. :)
It depends if you went through the running naked through the street with a rubber keyboard Spectrum strapped to your back ritual all latecomers from 2010 had to go through. We can't talk unless you did.
Another wonderfully irrelevant and inept post no doubt.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Of course, it was mandatory. I believe there might be some pictures of the event as well. :P
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

Hello, I'm another guy who likes ZX Spectrum & related.. also known as Thomas in Einar's ZXDB update posts ;)

My first computer was a ZX81 with 32K Memotech Ram, blah bla bla.. ZX Spectrum 48K rubber.. more blah blah upgraded to ZX Spectrum+ yet more blah blah.. ZX Spectrum +3... contributed to a Unix/X emulator named xzx back in 90' - then long period of silence.

I'm also the author of one of the other ZXDB frontends - and at the same time collaborating with PeterJ and Einar.

Current collection of H/W:
ZX81 recapped, ULA heatsink & Traco replacement with ZX-CBB and ZXPand+
ZX81 unmodified, 16K + 32K Memotech Ram
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber - recapped, composite mod & Traco replacement
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber - unmodified
ZX Spectrum 128K toastrack - unmodified.

-cheers
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 pm ...and ofc, nice to see you Woody. ;)
Hello! It's good to be here as one of the berks!
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

jmk wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:39 pm Hello!

I'm the former author of the X128 emulator and a few (failed) attempts at writing some Spectrum games.

I'm looking forward to the site going from strength to strength.
Hello James...

Think we had some chit-chat back about 10 years ago, when I did the native OS/2 version of x128 (NOT the recompiled X/Window version for OS/2)
You probably don't know - but the OS/2 version actually ended up on a danish magazine cover cd ;)

/Thomas
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
balford
Drutt

Post by balford »

Great to see so many familiar faces on here already :)
Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century
https://github.com/brendanalford/zx-diagnostics
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

From Kent, UK.
Been using the Spectrum since 1984, played lots of games, wrote lots of basic and graphic stuff.
Moved to the Amiga and PC but always came back to the Spectrum and emulation for real games.
Made a few map editors for Laser Squad, Rebelstar, Martianoids, Nightshade and Gunfright.
Managed to learn machine code, it was a huge step, wrote lots of screen moving routines, started a few simple games that never saw the light of day. Finally got Bomb Munchies on the go, and it is still going, learning new ways of coding things and improving old code. I always kid myself that the latest version will be the last... but I will always find some extra bytes and add something new.
Responsible for a handful of crap games too.

One day I will get back to restarting project Amy..... just maybe next year or the year after.
jmk
Drutt

Post by jmk »

kolbeck wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:57 pm Hello James...

Think we had some chit-chat back about 10 years ago, when I did the native OS/2 version of x128 (NOT the recompiled X/Window version for OS/2)
You probably don't know - but the OS/2 version actually ended up on a danish magazine cover cd ;)
Hi, Thomas.

Ah, you trigger vague memories in my brain. ;)

Yes, that was some time ago. It's nice that it ended up somewhere! Magazines would ask me permission to put the DOS version on their coverdisk and I would say "yes" and provide a list of conditions (correct version, correct email addresses, etc.) Then I would buy the magazine and find that they'd put something like V0.3 on the CD, featuring my old email address from the university I'd left years ago!
Just like before, it's yesterday once more.
ADJB
Drutt

Post by ADJB »

Hi all,

Ex preservation team member from a different era on a different site. Used to run the preservation team shop.

I can be found on farcebook under the moniker of "Ruskin Roader" which I use for my music and photography interests.

Present retro hobby is OCRing all my magazines into searchable database.

Other hobbies include breeding and growing chillies, home brewing and being a live in slave to my cat.

ADJB