Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

Aliexpress

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Aliexpress

Post by Oloturia »

I tried to search "ZX Spectrum" on Aliexpress out of curiosity. The results were... well judge by yourselves.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Aliexpress

Post by PeterJ »

I did a similar search @Oloturia!

viewtopic.php?p=68783&hilit=Bathroom#p68783
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

"Manic Minor"?

That certainly doesn't have any extra connotations that were lost somewhere between here and Shenzhen.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

I do this search 2-3 times each year ( many years). Results are always similar as yours...
Waldroid
Microbot

Post by Waldroid »

I've never quite nerved myself up to trying Aliexpress. It seems a slightly dodgy place to type your credit card number into... :?

Anybody with any good or bad experiences?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Waldroid wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:42 pm I've never quite nerved myself up to trying Aliexpress. It seems a slightly dodgy place to type your credit card number into... :?

A few years go I used to buy a fair bit of knock-off Lego. I never had any problems, and the Lego was about a quarter of the price and indistinguishable except for not having the Lego logo on the studs. I stopped though because I started to be more discerning where I shop, so I avoid Chinese shops and Amazon out of principle.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Waldroid wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:42 pm I've never quite nerved myself up to trying Aliexpress. It seems a slightly dodgy place to type your credit card number into... :?

Never had any problem with aliexpress, I bought different electronic components and products, everything was always fine.
I'm done with the ebay mafia a long time ago and I'm glad there's a good alternative...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Never had any problems @Waldroid. Just remember delivery will be slow. Six weeks is not uncommon. Also electrical items may not be upto UK safety and RF emission standards. I used to buy lots of components and Arduino stuff.

I now try now to spend a bit more and buy stuff made closer to home, but with electrical stuff it's pretty much impossible.
Waldroid
Microbot

Post by Waldroid »

Oh, that sounds okay, then. I'll give them a go!

Many thanks, chaps!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:21 pm Also electrical items may not be up to UK safety and RF emission standards.
All together now: "I got a cheap pink USB charger, from China..."

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Waldroid
Microbot

Post by Waldroid »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:57 pm All together now: "I got a cheap pink USB charger, from China..."
I well remember that video! :)

Interestingly he reviewed Ikea's new USB charger the other day and found it to be extremely safe and well-designed. For £2.50 it's just not worth chancing a cheap Chinese charger!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Rgb0cgLkjaA
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:56 pm "Manic Minor"?

That certainly doesn't have any extra connotations that were lost somewhere between here and Shenzhen.
If I understood correctly, most of these products are automatically generated by some kind of AI.
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-amazon ... ases-fail/ (warning: a bit NSFW)
Maybe someone made a "Manic Minor" image as a joke, and the AI thought that it was the real thing.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Oloturia wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:03 am
Maybe someone made a "Manic Minor" image as a joke, and the AI thought that it was the real thing.
It woukd make a cool kid's T-shirt or baby-grow :D
Ebay is just a different looking website to Ali. Almost exactly the same products. Amazon too, it just has a better returns policy.
As to the Ikea charger? I'll put cash down that it's not made in Europe for that price.

I needed a 3 port hand valve a while ago. Found what I wanted on a .co.uk site but kept scrolling to see if there was a better price than £35...
Sure enough, the same valve appeared and it was on Ali. For £3!
I checked the image properties and they were identical. The UK site were basically scraping Ali and adding a (massive) mark up.