C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

Post by Jbizzel »

The comp is not over, just halfway through! :)
Last edited by Jbizzel on Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-2-as-it-happens

Guys, if you want to hear the crap game feature on Canadian radio, the link is here...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I'll have a lot to listen to with this! I've got T20 Blast commentary taking me up to 11 pm or there abouts, so I can find out who the MIGHTY ESSEX EAGLES will be facing on Finals Day.

Maybe I'll twin it with that documentary on the C5. That would make sense.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:03 pm https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-2-as-it-happens

Guys, if you want to hear the crap game feature on Canadian radio, the link is here...
Amazing! Did they say what time it would be broadcast? I don’t see today’s episode on there yet.

In other news, apparently a Canadian won the cheese-rolling race in Gloucester. Maybe they have their sights on CSSCGC glory as well!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Haha. @flatduckrecords yes, they haven't given me the best info.

It might be available later.

Just listening to the spider crab harvest issues 😂😂😂😂
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

It's in now
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/2 ... 1.6900431

The article and interview is here...
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Nice one Jamie, that was very eloquently done. :dance

May the Great Googly One have mercy on your inbox. 🙏
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Thank you!

Yes, bit worried that I'll have 1500 games to review now.

A little post about it all....

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/07/c ... s.html?m=1
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

What a week for the CGC! Nice interview @Jbizzel. I was going to joke that I wanted to see you and Jim on the BBC Breakfast couch next, but now that Times radio have been in touch maybe they actually will. Perhaps @TMD2003 will get lucky and be a lunchtime guest on TMS.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I might be a bit too outspoken for the BBC...

Maybe Talksport 2 will have me on instead during the away tour to the West Indies in December? A day watching cricket and doing an interview in Barbados would be just fine. If there's a complimentary visit to the Mount Gay rum distillery, even better.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:46 am Yes, bit worried that I'll have 1500 games to review now
Don't worry ! You already have experience!
You already reviewed 2*65534 games a few months ago :)

Also, "Firelord Quality Games" is a serious company. It won't declare you dead.
We know that you have to review a very scary game. We have patience (and we now know where you live)...
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

firelord wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:17 pm This was not a joke!
The game I posted is the undisputed winner of the contest! No need to continue the process...

Anyway if we have 6 months then a developer can sumbit 6*30 entries by the official end of the 2023 contest...
I have submitted so far more than 2*65534 games...
:lol:

I'll be lucky if I get around to one. But I'm going to bloody try. Hmm maybe a game about trying to get a crap game together?
Firelord the adventure game.
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

In what is a potentially dangerous move, I've been making games to submit into CSSCGC2023 that are (whisper it) quite enjoyable to play. I'm sure that going against the spirit of the competition!

I'll not spoil anything before Jamie gets chance to lay into it, but the reason my most recent entry took me so long to write was that I was enjoying playing it, so wasn't putting in the time finishing programming it.

And now I'm currently 80% through writing another, that I'm actually *really* enjoying playing, so making no progress on finishing.

This is not how crap game development should go!!
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:41 pm And now I'm currently 80% through writing another, that I'm actually *really* enjoying playing, so making no progress on finishing.
Think yourself lucky. I tested ALS2302 until I was thoroughly sick of the sight of it and its muddy-reddish-brown colour palette.

Who's going to step right up and make something worthy of being 2024's host, if it doesn't (gasp) fall to one of us who's done it before?

ALSØØØØØØØ: this has reminded me, I made a video of ALS2302 that was intended solely for Rich Pelley's enjoyment until the game was reviewed and published. And then, I completely forgot to un-"Unlisted" it. So now I have, and those who don't own a Next and have no intention of wrestling with CSpect can see it in action in "almost" real time - the screen recorder couldn't quite keep up with the frame rate of the nuclear-powered mower, but other than that it's the best you're going to get short of there ever being a Next version of RZX.

It is simultaneously more colourful and more BROWN than a C64 game.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

luny wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:04 pm Hmm maybe a game about trying to get a crap game together?
Firelord the adventure game.
More than 10years ago, I submitted a CGC Judge simulator which accurately captured the work that a CGC judge does. All the judges are using it to prepare themselves for the task (ask JBizzel ). It is their bible!
Spoiler
I was surprised it was not mentioned in the Guardian article. I bet it will be mentioned in the CNN article.
It might give you some tips on how a crap game should be or help you prepare yourself to be next year judge(if you fail to follow the tips)...Win-win situation!

Btw, I started doing an updated version with all the new judges included. I will submit it in the updated crap utility category of the compo.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:48 am I might be a bit too outspoken for the BBC...
You have no idea.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Jbizzel wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:00 pm @firelord reviewed!

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/07/t ... nford.html
(edit)Hmmm,"Give cyan pill to cyan ghost" should work. I'll recheck.(/edit)

Ok. Nice review :) This was the most difficult and complex adventure I have submitted. It was expected you found it difficult.

I still use the Lantern system. It allows doing complex stuff (for ZX I mean) with C/java like syntax.
It has some limitations ,eg experimental image support is for only 8 images. Also it has some random bugs like not showing the word Pink-which I seeing remember while testing.

More tips (don't read unless youareanoob) :dance :
Spoiler
-In the center of the Pacman maze we all know that there is the mysterious ghost room where noone ever entered. The door need the C.O.R.P. password. To find the password you need to listen to what each COLORED ghost says when you help it.
-You can open the locjed box in the start with the password you find when you finish Adventures of Dr Robbie Pssst (the updated version I mailed).
-Since this game talks about the REAL story of pacman, your goal is to search the haunted mansion maze ,collect the pills and give them to the ghosts. Each ghost will give you a clue related to the *PIN number" needed to enter the center room..
-Ghost colors in reverse order are : Pink,Red, Orange and Cyan....
Also, all my lantern adventures implement a cheat code (both cookie and pssst).
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nice game @firelord. It's time I completed one of your Lantern games, and this seems as good a place as any to start.
firelord wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:29 am This was the most difficult and complex adventure I have submitted. It was expected you found it difficult.
Oh well. I'll do it anyway!
Spoiler
The maze is clearly arranged as an easily mapped grid, but I'll remain true to CGC values and do a half-baked freehand version. I think I'll get away with it too!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:33 pm Nice game @firelord. It's time I completed one of your Lantern games, and this seems as good a place as any to start.

Oh well. I'll do it anyway!
Spoiler
The maze is clearly arranged as an easily mapped grid, but I'll remain true to CGC values and do a half-baked freehand version. I think I'll get away with it too!
Lol :)
The map arrangement is much more obvious.
Spoiler

Crap room names help too.

Also, the latest version of Real Adv. Of Dr Pssst (I haven't check if Jbizzel updated the version) in the end give you the code to unlock the locked box in the first room. It s contents would help you with mapping.
When you finish the game you will be able to read the encrypted diiary of Dr Robbie Pssst. It will reveal to you part if the epic story.

Note: @jbizzel "give pink pill to pink ghost" works as expected
Spoiler
Also, there is a command that tells you where each ghost is currently located . This is to be used before the noob cheat code. I don't know if I should post a whereis cheat code so soon...
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:46 am Yes, bit worried that I'll have 1500 games to review now.
I hope the backlog isn't too onerous—I've just added one more to the pile! :dance
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

flatduckrecords wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:15 pm I hope the backlog isn't too onerous—I've just added one more to the pile! :dance
Received.

I think there are 4/5 in the queue now.

But there is some exciting and interesting stuff in its way guys.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/schedule

Guys, I was just on Times Radio about being the loser of last years crap game comp, and the host of this years. I believe the link will become availibe soon, (link above) my bit was the last 10 minutes of the show listed below:
1pm - 4pm
Ed Vaizey in for Alexis Conran
A deeper look back at the week

@flatduckrecords I was playing a certain gain as a warm up for the interview - you know the one

@uglifruit I mentioned a certain game of yours since it was the one I'm currently reviewing

People seem amused about what a terrible punishment losing this comp is! If you know, you know.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@uglifruit has submitted a GOOD GAME

ALERT!!!

Something to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/07/t ... ve-co.html