C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Re: C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

Post by uglifruit »

Great stuff on the radio interview @Jbizzel! Managing to put the interviewer straight on his rather off-target assumptions throughout.

And obviously you'll need to quit your day job to review full time after all the press engagements.
CLEAR 23855
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:06 pm @uglifruit has submitted a GOOD GAME

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/07/t ... ve-co.html
Thank you for the review. (Just for note it's Jenkinson, rather than Jenkins. My dad would be furious!)

Re. level 8 - in fact all levels - exiting a level involves entering the flashing '>' exit from the side, not above or below (you can quickly step off the top and get into the side though).

Also, for anyone who plays it ... I've gone back to play it and finally managed a 'perfect' run, which netted me this score:
Beat that, if you dare.
CLEAR 23855
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Re. level 8 - in fact all levels - exiting a level involves entering the flashing '>' exit from the side, not above or below (you can quickly step off the top and get into the side though).
I've been trying, but not managed on this particular level so far.

Sorry about the name thing, I have corrected it.

Making a good basic game is a rare skill! Well done.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@uglifruit I went back to your game, and completed it today.

I have also updated the review.

only died 44 times and scored 0 :D :D :D :D
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@TMD2003 has unleashed his musical might, and it is REVIEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEDDDDDDD!!!!

You may hate this review, you may love it. You may say - 'where is it?'

Well, its here:

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/07/h ... erman.html

Now I am going on holiday - sadly not to Fuji.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Using this amazing utility, and going by ear, I get these as the correct keys to press for the first phrase of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Are they right, or am I one of the "completely tone deaf" people described in the instructions?

A, A, H, H, J, J, Haychhhhh (long H)
Jbizzel wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:30 pm Now I am going on holiday - sadly not to Fuji.
You can't go on holiday! This week, with this and uglifruit's game the quality's slipping dangerously towards good. Also after all your media work you're probably due a slot on The Today Programme!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I should point out something. After almost 40 years since I first picked up a ZX81 and bashed out the kind of meaningless tripe that a four-year-old might be expected to (but which still worked), I have finally achieved what I thought was an insurmountable hurdle: a program written entirely in machine code. As Holly said, in a different episode of series 2 (i.e. Queeg): I might not be fast, but I get there in the end.
Jbizzel's review wrote: *the only acceptable answer is that you think seasons 1-2 are amazing, season 3-5 were great, 6 was bearable, 7 unbearable and unfunny, and you haven't watched it since.
All you are doing there is diddling yourself out of eighteen episodes and an hour and a half's made-for-TV film's worth of entertainment that is worthy of the name of Red Dwarf. Skip series 8 and Back To Earth if you must, but 10, 11 and 12 are all well worth it. Do yourself a favour and watch them and then look me in the eye and tell me Lemons isn't a brilliant episode.
R-Tape wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:56 pm Using this amazing utility, and going by ear, I get these as the correct keys to press for the first phrase of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Are they right, or am I one of the "completely tone deaf" people described in the instructions?

A, A, H, H, J, J, Haychhhhh (long H)
Whatever the case, you can't be as tone deaf as whoever made the title music for Booty. But even looking at that sequence I could tell it was hopelessly wrong, so I loaded the Smeg-thesiser and... what you've done is put the Spectrum keys rather than the actual notes!

What this does is give a series of C#-C#-H#-H#-J#-J#-H# on the lower octave. So it's almost - but not quite - as accurate as it could be. C# to H# is so close to a perfect fifth that most ears won't detect it (even though the H# is slightly flatter than a 12-TET perfect fifth), but the J# needs to go up to A. Which is on key M. And to confuse things further, C# to H# on a Hol-Rock keyboard may sound like a perfect fifth as us musicians know it, but because of the way the keys are laid out it's a perfect sixth, an interval that doesn't exist in regular music.

Using the regular musical equivalence that A minor has the same key signature as C major, this means that converting major to minor on the same note adds five flats instead of three in regular music. Hence, this is the C minor scale as written on the key signature:

C-D-Eb-Fb-G-H-Jb-Ab-Bb-C

For the harmonic minor, raise the Bb to B, and for the melodic minor, raise the Ab to A as well but drop the both back to flats on the way down.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:26 pm After almost 40 years […] I have finally achieved what I thought was an insurmountable hurdle: a program written entirely in machine code. As Holly said, in a different episode of series 2 (i.e. Queeg): I might not be fast, but I get there in the end.
Congratulations on the clipper-stoking hurdle surmounting Jim!
as Dave Lister probably wrote:I’ve been to a parallel universe, I’ve seen time running backwards, I’ve played pool with planets, and I’ve given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I’d write a program entirely in machine code.
:dance

(Banana is giving the appropriately ceremonial Double Rimmer salute)
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

@TMD2003

This is rather niche, but anyone is 'into' alternate tempered tunings Wendy Carlos's album Beauty In The Beast is amazing. It took me many listens to acclimatise myself to it, so the barrier to entry is quite high, but it's a fascinating exploration of this area.

Regarding the failing of 12-Tet generally, I found the book How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony – (and Why You Should Care) a great read. (It's the book I recommend to my degree students who show an interest in this area).
CLEAR 23855
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Summer greetings from Lesvos Greece :)
My nephew came yesterday from London. From 16o celcius he came to 36Celcius . I guess you are not melting there :)

@jbizzel "give pink pill to pink ghost" works as expected
@jbizzel : what emulator do you use; I suspect that there might be some issues with the compiled Lantern code. In both my last adventures I think you tried sentences that wirk in my emulators.
I use for testing the internal lantern tester while coding and in each ZX export I test with dos x128 ,Js qaop and old linux gtk-fuse.

I think I must hire some beta testers to check my english in my games :) Will pay with percentages of the sales :)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I'm back off holiday. Back in the reviewing saddle - trying to get caught up!

So many games to get through!!!!

Alan's game is reviewwwwweeeeeeddddddd!

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/07/m ... -alan.html

@firelord I use fuse (in win10) but it has some weird problem that I don't understand! I liked your game - I think my problem happens when all the ghosts are in the same spot - then it becomes confused.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

New game revieweeeeedddddd

You know where to look you minge bag.

;)

@flatduckrecords invites you to SCRAMBLE!
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Hahaha. Terrific reviewing yet again JB. I showed it to my mum and she was dead chuffed. 🤗
bugs schmugs
And oh yeah I was aware of the “bug” that allows you out of the maze. In fact I deliberately shuffled the “hoppers” (Real Screwball only has four of em!) around to tempt you to exploit it elsewhere too!

I wanna see your speedruns using as short a route / as many illegal jumps as possible!
Thanks for your kind words!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

The best Supergran themed game for the Speccy! And bonus points for using old utilities. I had to CONTINUE after the code breaks at the top left, but my best so far is 65.52 (on screen 1). Oddly when I tried some illegal jumps and thought I was acing it, I got over 75.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:53 pm The best Supergran themed game for the Speccy! And bonus points for using old utilities.
Wayhey! Thank you 😊
R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:53 pm I had to CONTINUE after the code breaks […]
Sorry about this BREAK thing. It must be tripping when screen update LOADs in, I think. I didn’t notice under emulation, d’oh! 🙈

(Heavens forfend there’s an actual bug unlicensed FIRELORD QUALITY GAMES® certified BONUS FEATURE™ in my game!)
R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:53 pm […] my best so far is 65.52 (on screen 1). Oddly when I tried some illegal jumps and thought I was acing it, I got over 75.
I’m thrilled you’re having fun with this nonsense. :dance
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Interesting, I nearly added some speed run tips in my review. I got quite good at jumping around most of the track. I did complete it too, but I didn't capture the screen with my score for some reason.

I found level 2 easier to complete.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Yeah; loads more shortcuts and no invisible maze!

My post-hoc justification for it being easy/cheatable was that IRL you can just pick up the ball and put it where you like anyway. :lol:
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/2023/07/u ... inson.html

REVIEWED!

That's it - I'm all caught up!

Another Great Game - enjoy.

@uglifruit
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:24 pm Yeah; loads more shortcuts and no invisible maze!

My post-hoc justification for it being easy/cheatable was that IRL you can just pick up the ball and put it where you like anyway. :lol:

I like the speed run idea. Maybe we could have a Christmas crap game high score challenge this year??
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

uglifruit wrote:(in the review)
calling a tiny machinecode routine with let udgil=usr usr "d" doesn't get old.
That double-stacked USR would have been perfect for my Magenta Challenge a couple of years ago. Have you tried this trick before, or is this completely new?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:19 pm That double-stacked USR would have been perfect for my Magenta Challenge a couple of years ago. Have you tried this trick before, or is this completely new?
I don't think I've used it before. It really just came to me as I was thinking of how USR is treated differently depending on whether it's being used to call a m/code routine or find the address of a specific User Defined Graphic. And the duality of using the graphics AS a (short) routine (rather than, say, poking it into a REM statement).
CLEAR 23855
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Enjoying the pretty cool-looking "Screwball" game -- honestly if you're drawing your entire picture in paper then what are we expecting in ink?... anyway...

I promise I'm gonna do my game. The loading scr$ will KNOCK YOU OVER, promise. But this was a timely reminder.
And yes, the entire fun/silliness of Screwball Scramble is that you don't control the ball, but the environment (rotating the maze or bars etc.)
It might be December but your boy equinox will drop something on you. lol
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:52 pm I like the speed run idea. Maybe we could have a Christmas crap game high score challenge this year??
I've spent the entire year creating an unbreakable set of Psion Scrabble rules to ensure that scoring is totally consistent, and that I can't lose. (If I had to implement Scrabble on +D disk today, which is pretty fnarking likely, I would certainly use the DAWG or "directed acyclic word graph". Could we fit Sowpods in 800KB? Anyway, everyone who has that stupid Internet interface could check words in real time.)

That reminds me, I did promise W00T guy that I would do a puzzle for him, but I got confused about the existing "tech" (crossword thing) etc. -- W00T guy please bother me, I'm full of words, puzzles and tricks. Let's get 'em still biting their pens into the end of January.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Again, CSCGC on the media:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/20 ... -1.6900431

What a time to be alive! 8-)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:03 pm https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-2-as-it-happens

Guys, if you want to hear the crap game feature on Canadian radio, the link is here...
Just realized it these news was from last month... sorry! :lol: