Poll: Ocean early games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Your fave Ocean early game?

Armageddon
15%
Cavelon
9%
Chinese Juggler
No votes
Digger Dan
No votes
Eskimo Eddie
3%
Frenzy
3%
Gillingan's Gold
18%
Hunchback
12%
Hunchback II
3%
kong
6%
Kong Strikes Back
No votes
Moon Alert
15%
Mr. Wimpy
6%
Pogo
6%
Pud Pud
3%
Royal Birkdale Championship Golf
3%
Transversion
No votes

Total votes: 34

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Re: Poll: Ocean early games

Post by Rorthron »

GILLIGAN'S GOLD

I'd never played this before and was quite looking forward to it, since it is currently leading the poll. The loading screen is once again pretty good, but that's not necessarily a good omen, as some of the other games have shown. Ocean mastered the packaging before it mastered the content.

But it's actually not at all bad. The graphics aren't spectacular, but they are pretty smooth. The sound is quite good, with a very warbly in-game tune that isn't too annoying.

There's quite a lot going on in the game, at least compared with the last few games I've looked at. So overall one of the better early Ocean games.

Still, I wouldn't place it top.

1. Armageddon
2. ‎Cavelon
3. ‎Gilligan's Gold
4. ‎Eskimo Eddie
5. ‎Digger Dan
6. ‎Frenzy
DNF - Chinese Juggler
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

HUNCHBACK

Now to my bete noire: Hunchback. This used to drive me mad and I can see why: it is unforgiving and difficult to read. But it's not as bad as I remembered and, although infuriating, it has that one-more-go quality. So perhaps I was harsh on it.

Now to try and get on that bloody rope again....

1. Armageddon
2. ‎Cavelon
3. ‎Hunchback
4. ‎Gilligan's Gold
5. ‎Eskimo Eddie
6. ‎Digger Dan
7. ‎Frenzy
DNF - Chinese Juggler
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

HUNCHBACK II

I have a guilty secret to confess. The first version of this that I played was on a C64. And I loved it. My cousin had got it as soon as it came out (or possibly even pre-release, as his dad managed an electronics retailer) and I tried it at his house. So as soon as I could (and before any reviews) I went to WH Smith to buy the Spectrum version. I was able to try it in store first. And I hated it.

I haven't revised my opinion now. I haven't replayed the C64 version (that would just be wrong), but the Spectrum version is still fiddly and infuriating. Like the original game, but worse. The graphics aren't great, either.

So, revised rankings:

1. Armageddon
2. ‎Cavelon
3. ‎Hunchback
4. ‎Gilligan's Gold
5. ‎Hunchback II
6. ‎Eskimo Eddie
7. ‎Digger Dan
8. ‎Frenzy
DNF - Chinese Juggler
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I think Chinese Juggler is the most 'obscure' game of the lot, isn't it?
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:29 am I think Chinese Juggler is the most 'obscure' game of the lot, isn't it?
Possibly. Personally I'd go for Frenzy (Robotics). Until this thread I was only aware of the Quicksilva version.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

KONG

I've always loved Donkey Kong and I played this version a lot when it first came out. It's not a great copy. Kong is badly animated and there are a lot of sloppy touches ("1 LIVES LEFT", one digit of the score being a different colour, pixels left behind when Kong stamps). But it's reasonably playable. Not the conversion I was looking for, but not too bad.

Kong goes in 4th place:

1. Armageddon
2. ‎Cavelon
3. ‎Hunchback
4. ‎Kong
5. ‎Gilligan's Gold
6. ‎Hunchback II
7. ‎Eskimo Eddie
8. ‎Digger Dan
9. ‎Frenzy
DNF - Chinese Juggler
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

KONG STRIKES BACK

Now for the other of Ocean's big 1984 sequels. Hunchback II managed to be worse than the less-than-stellar original. But Kong Strikes Back is a big improvement on the first game. The graphics are smooth and neatly animated. The sound isn't up to much, but the game is fun. I had never played it before, but I think it's actually my favourite so far.

There is a new (and to me quite unexpected) leader:

1. Kong Strikes Back
2. ‎Armageddon
3. ‎Cavelon
4. ‎Hunchback
5. ‎Kong
6. ‎Gilligan's Gold
7. ‎Hunchback II
8. ‎Eskimo Eddie
9. ‎Digger Dan
10. ‎Frenzy
DNF - Chinese Juggler

(I'm assuming Kong Strikes Back's lack of votes in the poll is because people haven't played it. Either that, or I've had a brainfart.)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

MOON ALERT

This feels like a game from the future. I don't mean the science-fiction setting. I mean that is a side-scrolling auto-runner very much in the mould of modern smartphone games. And it's really quite good.

You control a moon buggy which can jump over hazards and shoot at aliens vertically and horizontally. The graphics are good. The moon buggy is well drawn and moves smoothly, albeit with flicker. There's a smooth parallax scrolling effect. There are decent spot sound effects and a basic polyphonic tune. The game itself is a simple concept, but well executed and enjoyable.

It's been worth wading through some of the dross to discover the last two games.

The new leaderboard is:

1. Kong Strikes Back
2. ‎Armageddon
3. ‎Moon Alert
4. ‎Cavelon
5. ‎Hunchback
6. ‎Kong
7. ‎Gilligan's Gold
8. ‎Hunchback II
9. ‎Eskimo Eddie
10. ‎Digger Dan
11. ‎Frenzy
DNF - Chinese Juggler
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Pud Pud no votes. Unfair. I've always thought it's an interesting game.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

The thing is, I know all of them are pretty poor, but each and every one of those games in that poll mean something to me. I played them all in the early days of having my Spectrum and they were all something! Seeing the loading screen appear for Pogo. The wonderful abstract landscapes of the loading screens of Armageddon and Kong. Buying Cavelon and Eskimo Eddie from Tesco with my hard earned £5.95 and playing the living sh*t out of it. Playing Hunchback II at around 4am on Christmas morning because, according to my mum and dad, it was too early to get up and open the presents.

Each and everyone of those bad boys are special to me.
Would I play them now? Oh Sweet Moses, no!
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

MR WIMPY

I couldn't find a working download of this game from SC or WoS and I didn't want to use any sites which might not have proper permission to distribute. So this one has to go in the did-not-start/finish category.

That takes me to...

POGO

I am not alone in loving Pogo's loading screen, but it really is one of my favourites. It's so good I'd almost accept the game being another ropey arcade conversion. But it's actually really quite a good conversion of Q*Bert. It is playable and nicely presented. One of Ocean's better early efforts.

1. Kong Strikes Back
2. ‎Armageddon
3. ‎Moon Alert
4. ‎Pogo
5. ‎Cavelon
6. ‎Hunchback
7. ‎Kong
8. ‎Gilligan's Gold
9. ‎Hunchback II
10. ‎Eskimo Eddie
11. ‎Digger Dan
12. ‎Frenzy
DNS/DNF - Chinese Juggler, Mr Wimpy
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Rorthron wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:56 am MR WIMPY

I couldn't find a working download of this game from SC or WoS and I didn't want to use any sites which might not have proper permission to distribute. So this one has to go in the did-not-start/finish category.
Trust me on this one, it's safe at the bottom.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

PUD PUD

This is an odd one (in so many ways). Graphics, sound and overall presentation are just about the best of all of these games. But I really can't say I enjoyed playing Pud Pud. It too often felt like a slog. I really wanted to like this one, but I just couldn't.

1. Kong Strikes Back
2. ‎Armageddon
3. ‎Moon Alert
4. ‎Pogo
5. ‎Cavelon
6. ‎Hunchback
7. ‎Kong
8. ‎Gilligan's Gold
9. ‎Hunchback II
10. ‎Pud Pud
11. ‎Eskimo Eddie
12. ‎Digger Dan
13. ‎Frenzy
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

ROYAL BIRKDALE GOLF

It's terrible:

1. It's in BASIC.
2. ‎It's a golf simulation.
3. ‎Even setting aside 1 and 2, it's still bad.

Bottom of the class.

1. Kong Strikes Back
2. ‎Armageddon
3. ‎Moon Alert
4. ‎Pogo
5. ‎Cavelon
6. ‎Hunchback
7. ‎Kong
8. ‎Gilligan's Gold
9. ‎Hunchback II
10. ‎Pud Pud
11. ‎Eskimo Eddie
12. ‎Digger Dan
13. ‎Frenzy
14. ‎Royal Birkdale Golf
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

TRANSVERSION

So to the last one. The graphics are very basic - simple designs, single-character size, movement in 8-pixel jumps - but they actually look reasonably good and work in the context. The gameplay itself is also simple: collect the items while avoiding enemy fire. I can see how some might find it addictive, but I found it a little frustrating (playing on a smartphone didn't help).

So the final leaderboard is as follows:

1. Kong Strikes Back
2. ‎Armageddon
3. ‎Moon Alert
4. ‎Pogo
5. ‎Cavelon
6. ‎Hunchback
7. ‎Kong
8. ‎Gilligan's Gold
9. ‎Hunchback II
10. ‎Pud Pud
11. ‎Eskimo Eddie
12. ‎Transversion
13. ‎Digger Dan
14. ‎Frenzy
15. ‎Royal Birkdale Golf

Monologue over. I suspect very few have read these posts, but I've enjoyed playing through these games. The top 5 are decent games. The rest range from OK-ish to dire. Thanks to Juan for setting up the poll.