Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

ZX Spectrum Clone - ZX Sizif-512

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum Clone - ZX Sizif-512

Post by flatduckrecords »

Pobulous wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:28 am This sounds really decent and at a decent price - can you point us in the direction of the UK seller?
@Pobulous looks like the seller has listed another one if you’re still interested!
Capt Flint
Drutt

Post by Capt Flint »

I bought one of these on ebay and generally I'm very impressed.
However I can't seem to get ZX Interface 1 to work (it works ok on my Toastrack). And I want to use it with a vDrive. If I boot with it attached the screen display is multiple colours in blocks. And if I try the Magic button all I get is the word PAUSE flashing in the middle of the screen. And nothing happens from then on. If I remove the Interface 1 its all ok.
Any thoughts?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @Capt Flint,

It's not on the list of tested devices, but you could raise a GitHub issue.

https://github.com/UzixLS/zx-sizif-512
Capt Flint
Drutt

Post by Capt Flint »

Thanks Peter I'll try that.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue or found a workaround
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Hi @Capt Flint,

I don't have a Sizif so I can't be sure, but you could try turning off any emulated devices that might be clashing with the IF1 (such as DivMMC) and set the 48K ROM to default.
Capt Flint
Drutt

Post by Capt Flint »

Hi flatduckrecords

Yes I saw that the DivMMC changes the memory setup so I have:
- made sure the SD card is out
- not had the WiFi and Bluetooth modules inserted (just in case!)
- changed the settings in the Magic button to turn SD card off and DivMMC off
- then tried every ROM combination

but none work :(

Shame I was hoping this could be my day-to-day Speccy as it could be a 48k, 128k or +3 rom. But without access to the vDrive via Interface 1 its not going to happen.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Has anyone got this working on a VGA monitor, I see a header for EGA monitors, I`ve only got HDMI and VGA. Mine should be here for Friday the 2nd Sept. Cheers
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Is there anywhere to get some info on the settings ect.. as there`s no forums for this board...Mine keeps booting to 48k modem and Ive changed the settings but when i reboot it keeps going to 48k :roll:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@oO cozy Oo,

Did you buy from a seller called Jimmydeath on eBay? If so, he seems very happy to answer questions.

These instructions I was given may not help with your specific issue, but may be of some general use

Peter
There are three two pin jumpers on the right. As you know the bottom one lets you flash the Rom with revised settings although it is best left unjumpered if you are not using that feature.

Top jumper gives you 'Diagrom' a test rom, middle jumper gives you a ZX81 mode and both jumpers 'ZX Diag' another Test ROM

CPLD and ROM are programmed with the latest versions. So depending on the Jumper settings you get the ZX spectrum, ZX81 and two different test ROMs.

If you want to use the save settings feature e.g. so that it starts in 128K mode rather than Pentagon you will need to have a jumper at JP4. Do not power down the Sizif whilst it writes the configuration though as you could corrupt the ROM.

If you want to try out the built in test ROM don't have the SD card plugged in at the same time.

To use the Wifi first navigate to the 'Network' folder and run Netman, it will take a minute to run and sometimes throws up some errors but will eventually ask you to select your wifi Network and the password. You only have to do this the once.
You can then try it out by going to the Gopher directory and running Ugoph, If you then page down and select the first BBS you can then access spectrum games and screens to download.

Using Bluetooth is as simple as connecting to it with your phone (look for device MH-M18) and playing a WAV file. It acts as if your have a cassette recorder plugged in.

If you have any questions about using it I will try to answer them
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

@ Peter
Thanks just read my ebay emails from Jimmydeath and it had the same info thank you , Jumper 4 now boots in 128k mode thank you!!

I`ll be posting some photo`s later of the finished Sizif!!! in a spectrum + 48k case with a 3D printed Heat sink.......
Also I`m looking at the EGA header on the mother board Can i wire this to a VGA female Pin??

Edited by PJ
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Looking forward to seeing the photos @oO cozy Oo. Could you include details of any modifications you had to make to the case please?
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

This is the Sizif 512 from Jimmydeath over at Fleabay, He makes them now and again you have to keep looking and he`s really helpful, would really recommend him, heres some pictures of my sizif hope you enjoy them :-
Github page https://github.com/UzixLS/zx-sizif-512

The error code is the Real time clock which the sizif does not have..

oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Just added the ps2 keyboard adapter and also some dip switches from the main board so I don`t have to open the case. switch 1 selects diagnostic one
rom, switch 2 selects the ZX81 rom, and switch 1 & 2 together selects diagnostic rom 2, switch 3 allows you to save your selection on the Sizif main screen to rom. Here`s some pics :-

Ps2 Keyboard adapter input

Did switches

Did switches

ZX81 rom

diagnostic rom 1

diagnostic rom 2

Sizif Selection Menu (Long press of the magic button)

Divmmc (Quick tap of the magic button)
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Just another update, Eugene Lozovoy who made the Sizif has said If you" Hold CapsShift key on poweron for boot menu".
(HE)GLUK requires a BDI addon to work.So you dont have to use the jumper in the main board to select the ZX80,ZX81 roms!!
Learning more and more about this amazing board as there is so little info on what this can do.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

It`s been a few months now that I`ve had the Zx sizif, and I can say It`s my go to machine that I always use. I did think that when I got my Spectrum N-Go that that would take over, but with the options like over clocking, Divmmc, snapshots, Sega joypad support and ULAplus, Even ZX80 and ZX81 with Blutooth loading, I`ve not touch anything else. I must say this is a great piece of kit well worth getting if you can get one per built. :dance
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Phil Kruman over on Youtube has done part 1 to the ZX Sizif, worth a watch

Gvan
Drutt

Post by Gvan »

Hello there.
I have a rev D1 board and it doesn't work well.
In the menu, when I try to change type of machine from the default Pentagon, all becomes frozen; this doesn't happen with all the other parameters, which I manage to change regularly : so it's impossible to change type of machine.
I updated firmware and ROM, but the problem wasn't solved.
Can somebody help me ?
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

@Gvan
Other than dropping Eugene Lozovoy "UzixLS" on the Github page a message, which I know you have. All you can do is check all solder points and traces,
when you reflash the eprom and roms do you verify the flash? :(
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

I`ve been looking to get the EGA header to out put to VGA or HDMI and came across this video on Youtube with a raspberry pi pico out putting to HDMI(DVI) from the EGA header pins(RGB, Hsync and Vsync also 5v), I`ve left a message but still waiting for a reply?? anyone got any answers..
There is this project over on Github https://github.com/mlorenzati/pico-rgb2hdmi but its nothing like the one on the video or picture.

youtube link

Picture of the pico with HAT
Gooeyblob
Drutt

Post by Gooeyblob »

oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Gooeyblob wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:11 pm This one?

https://boosty.to/alexekb/posts/f4d7d8a ... post_link
Thank you I`ll look into this, I looked at all the pico site but nothing so this is great!!!!
creed79
Drutt

Post by creed79 »

i am on the latest firmware and trying to use it in +3e mode with workbench +3e no matter what image i write to sd card the system dosnt see anything other than the bottom of the menu shows its found 1 mmc device. can anybody tell me what to do please?
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

I only tried Mar Oceana image (which includes Workbench) and it was working fine. I even have "multi-system" card, half +3e and half esxDOS. But I have not tried standalone Workbench image yet.

P.S. There are some issues with CP/M (loader made by Otivax doesn't work), but I know someone who managed to resolve it. But that's clearly not the issue you're seeing.

P.P.S. You can try booting FUSE emulator from your card image, that was the way I used to debug my "multi-system" card layout.
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

creed79 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:27 pm no matter what image i write to sd card the system dosnt see anything
Just a crazy idea, but worth checking... You are not writing the HDF image to the card, aren't you? You ARE removing the HDF header, right?
creed79
Drutt

Post by creed79 »

no just writing using a sd imaging tool in windows, just like i have done hundreds of times for my amigas.