Games with multiple parts AND multiple genres

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
marenja
Microbot

Games with multiple parts AND multiple genres

Post by marenja »

A lot of games have multiple levels but all the levels use same mechanics. It will be puzzle for all levels or shmup or arcade platformer or any other. But some games have several levels with different mechanics.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... _The_Movie
Batman the movie has several different genres for levels - platformer, race and puzzle, Terminator has fighting, race and puzzle levels.

Iron Lord - gambling, archery, swords, dungeon crawler, tactical wargame.

What other games use different genres or mechanics for their levels?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Games with multiple parts AND multiple genres

Post by Morkin »

Blood Brothers has a 2D shooty platform stage, and a 3D spaceship racing stage.

The 3D one is pictured as the in-game screen in the archive, but I'm sure when I played it most of the game was in the colourful platform stage.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

The first three that come to mind are:
- Sigma 7 (shoot-em-up, maze, puzzle)
- Astroclone (shoot-em-up and arcade-adventure)
- Danger Mouse in Double Trouble (sound-em-up, platform, puzzle)

also an Italian homemade game:
- Clive ad Hollywood (arcade and text adventure)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Several games licensed from movies had such a feature: Platoon, The Untouchables, Ghostbusters II, Back To The Future Part III, 007 The Spy Who Loved Me, 007 Licence To Kill.

Two games licensed from Spanish comic books, Mot and Mortadelo Y Filemon II, are divided into very different parts as well.

Also some conversions from coin-ops and 16-bit titles like Combat School, Hostages, North And South.

Among original titles: Mugsy, Tai-Pan, Beach Head, Beach Head II, Raid Over Moscow, Kane, Techno Cop, 19, Agent X, Agent X II, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Lazy Jones.

Finally, I made some myself: Apulija-13, Cousin Horace, Sophia II, Italia 1944 (although the latter's two parts are both icon-driven).
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

You are asking about a game with built in minigames.

There's a lot of them, it was used especially often in case of movie licenses - one level is a car chase, another is a shootout etc.

Also sport games with different kinds of sport could be considered a minigame games.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm You are asking about a game with built in minigames.
I think that's different.

One thing is a game where each level has a different gameplay.

Another is a game with a single main gameplay, but other mini-games within:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?group_id=1010
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

There's loads of track and field games, especially Hypersports, where each sport is a different mechanic.
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

Would Short Circuit count? 1st level 2d jumping side scroller, 2nd level 3d-ish, like spy vs spy, with a search genre.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

The “multi-load, multi-genre” (for want of a better term) game became so popular in the late 80s and I ABSOLUTELY HATED THEM!!!

Even when they were full priced, it felt that a lot of the games really felt like individual budget games wrapped up with some bobbins story or licence tie in. There was usually a token Operation Wolf type shooter level, a platform level and a scrolling shoot em up level.

Vindicator is a really good example, this was originally touted as a sequel to Green Beret, but instead of a solid side scroller, we got a boring maze level for about 40 minutes and then what feels like a poor rip off of Foying Shark, both of these individual “levels” wouldn’t have felt out of place being released on budget individually by Players.

It really felt like the big labels pushed this as “value for money”, but they never really were.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Horace Goes Skiing counts.

Horace and the Spiders, perhaps.

Savage has 3 distinct stages.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:07 pm Several games licensed from movies had such a feature: Platoon, The Untouchables, Ghostbusters II, Back To The Future Part III, 007 The Spy Who Loved Me, 007 Licence To Kill.

Two games licensed from Spanish comic books, Mot and Mortadelo Y Filemon II, are divided into very different parts as well.

Also some conversions from coin-ops and 16-bit titles like Combat School, Hostages, North And South.

Among original titles: Mugsy, Tai-Pan, Beach Head, Beach Head II, Raid Over Moscow, Kane, Techno Cop, 19, Agent X, Agent X II, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Lazy Jones.

Finally, I made some myself: Apulija-13, Cousin Horace, Sophia II, Italia 1944 (although the latter's two parts are both icon-driven).
What a great answer!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Does Robocop count? The Op Wolf style bit and Photo fit game are more like mini games than actual levels.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

RWAC wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:35 am Does Robocop count? The Op Wolf style bit and Photo fit game are more like mini games than actual levels.
I think so. Mugsy's arcade sequence is a mini-game within the main program as well.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

RWAC wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:35 am Does Robocop count? The Op Wolf style bit and Photo fit game are more like mini games than actual levels.
For some reason Robocop is in mini games list. Is it because of photo fit or because of hostage scenes ? Photo fit was a separate load for 48k as i remember.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?gr ... rap=2&pg=1
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Obvious one to me is Jason's Gem - starts with a (frustrating) 'Lunar Lander' sort of game, then an extension of that as you descend through caves, able to shoot off chunks of scenery as you go, and finally 10 on-foot platform game levels. Pretty impressive and loads of value for a budget game.
Finders Keepers had both platforming and overhead mazes, as well as the trading element. The sequels just stuck to side-on adventuring, dropping even the platforming elements. You wouldn't see the original combination done so well again until you fell into an underground tunnel in Link's Awakening on the GameBoy.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Joefish wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:03 pm Finders Keepers had both platforming and overhead mazes, as well as the trading element. The sequels just stuck to side-on adventuring, dropping even the platforming elements. You wouldn't see the original combination done so well again until you fell into an underground tunnel in Link's Awakening on the GameBoy.
I've watched RZX. Finders Keepers gameplay looks the same for all the replay probably because maze was not difficult. But at least platforms part uses flip-screen technique and maze part uses scroll technique.

P.S. platfors part uses jumping while maze part does not. But i've realised this only after i had written my reply. So yes, player movement techniques differ though it was not obvious.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Surprised no-one's mentioned Ghostbusters yet. That had a a maze type level, a driving level and, I dunno, what would the one where you try to trap the ghost be called?

Would Gunfright with it's Filmation 2 and shoot the bad-guy count? Or is that more mini-game?
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Vampyre wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:16 pm Surprised no-one's mentioned Ghostbusters yet. That had a a maze type level, a driving level and, I dunno, what would the one where you try to trap the ghost be called?
I think Ghostbusters 2 would also fit the bill.

The Krypton Factor is another example, all the parts are completely different from one another.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

My topic, Quirks in text adventures brought out a lot of responses, highlighting text adventures with odd sections, sometimes some arcade-style action.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Some PSS strategy games, namely Theatre Europe, Tobruk, Battle Of Britain and Bismarck, contain some simple, and in some cases optional, arcade sequences alongside the main strategic part.
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:47 am My topic, Quirks in text adventures brought out a lot of responses, highlighting text adventures with odd sections, sometimes some arcade-style action.
Thank you for a link. I will try at least to watch replays though my experience is almost none in adventure games where I usually have no chances except pass some screens and pick a couple of objects. And text adventures are especially hard for me.