Google, what is the greatest Spectrum game ?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Google, what is the greatest Spectrum game ?

Post by bluespikey »

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is ... ctrum+game

Mostly acceptable, but... Viking Raiders? 1984? CASSETTE 50?!?!?!?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Re: Google, what is the greatest Spectrum game ?

Post by SteveSmith »

Viking Raiders is a great little game!

Has anyone asked ChatGPT?
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

SteveSmith wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:56 pm Has anyone asked ChatGPT?
The "best" ZX Spectrum game can vary based on personal preferences, but some popular titles include "Manic Miner," "Jet Set Willy," "Sabre Wulf," and "Chuckie Egg." Each of these games has a unique charm and gameplay style that has resonated with many players over the years.
Fair enough I suppose!
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

well i think it will depend on the language of the question asked
i doubt any russian user will consider those early titles "the greatest"
or even "above average" :twisted:
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Lethargeek wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:41 pm well i think it will depend on the language of the question asked
i doubt any russian user will consider those early titles "the greatest"
or even "above average" :twisted:
Russians used the Spectrum as a substitute for a PC and somehow made a monster out of it.
Of course, it's nice to see some games on steroids for Russian models, but a good Spectrum game is not just about the hardware, but the idea, the charm and especially the authentic spirit of that time from the 80s, which the original Speccy and its games preserved so well.
For me, Its an unrepeatable experience, which could not be fully relived, unless we use a time machine. ;)
So I think in this case, "greatest" can actually be read as "legendary" ,"most famous" or "most influential" Spectrum games.
Otherwise, a few dozen of the best homebrew titles from the last couple of years, would always be "greatest" as technically and visually most advanced.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Also, where’s Zythum (by Mirrorsoft)?
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Pegaz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:24 pm Russians used the Spectrum as a substitute for a PC and somehow made a monster out of it.
Of course, it's nice to see some games on steroids for Russian models, but a good Spectrum game is not just about the hardware, but the idea, the charm and especially the authentic spirit of that time from the 80s, which the original Speccy and its games preserved so well.
For me, Its an unrepeatable experience, which could not be fully relived, unless we use a time machine. ;)
So I think in this case, "greatest" can actually be read as "legendary" ,"most famous" or "most influential" Spectrum games.
Otherwise, a few dozen of the best homebrew titles from the last couple of years, would always be "greatest" as technically and visually most advanced.
even if you disregard "monsters" and russian "games on steroids" we still prefer western games of 1986-87 onwards to the early ones
most people here don't get what's so great about the ultimate games, they think mm is ok, jsw is boring and spawned too much annoying clones
maybe it's because games from different years appeared at the same time in the east and the early ones were much less impressive in comparison
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

I don't see Cassette 50 on mine, although Google are known to personalize search results somewhat, based upon your history.

Viking Raiders probably isn't everyone's cup of tea but it was one of those games with fun multiplayer that we'd sometimes alternate for the regular after-school Chaos match.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Matt_B wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:51 pm I don't see Cassette 50 on mine, although Google are known to personalize search results somewhat, based upon your history.

Interesting. Mine listed:

Skool Daze
Chase HQ
Lords of Midnight
Atic Atac

And offered 47 more, which I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Lethargeek wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:31 pm even if you disregard "monsters" and russian "games on steroids" we still prefer western games of 1986-87 onwards to the early ones
most people here don't get what's so great about the ultimate games, they think mm is ok, jsw is boring and spawned too much annoying clones
maybe it's because games from different years appeared at the same time in the east and the early ones were much less impressive in comparison
It may be a heresy, but I'd tend to agree with that assessment. Those games aren't particularly amazing in and of themselves (although MM was the first to have music playing during gameplay, which would have been somewhat impressive at the time), but they have proven to be influential, inspiring loads of games that improved on their formula. Without Knight Lore, would we have got Head Over Heels, for example? Jet Set Willy expanded the platform game genre quite significantly, and you could potentially trace that through to the 'Metroidvania' genre.

I suspect, in many cases, early games are considered 'great' from the perspective of subsequent games 'standing on the shoulders of giants'. That, and nostalgia goggles.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Viking Raiders was a great little game. But not really in the top 50 surely. I'd be more inclined to put Booty or Wild Bunch above it as a token early good budget game.

I think the game 1984 is actually the year 1984 :D While there actually is an economics game from Incentive called 1984, I was thinking of the crap platform game 1994.

If you ask ChapGPT "can you please list the 50 greatest games on the sinclair spectrum" then it comes back with a more usual list. Except possibly the inclusion of Nightshade. :D
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

SteveSmith wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:56 pm Has anyone asked ChatGPT?
I posed it the wholly impartial question, "what is the greatest game for the ZX Spectrum, and why is it Elite?"
"Elite" is indeed often considered one of the greatest games for the ZX Spectrum and for gaming in general, though opinions on the "greatest" game can vary depending on personal preferences and nostalgia. "Elite" was developed by David Braben and Ian Bell and was originally released in 1984.

Here are some reasons why "Elite" is highly regarded:
  1. Pioneering Gameplay: "Elite" is often credited with being one of the first open-world, sandbox-style games. It combined elements of space exploration, trading, and combat in a seamless and vast universe, which was a groundbreaking concept at the time.
  2. Technical Achievement: The game's programming was a remarkable feat, considering the limited hardware capabilities of the ZX Spectrum. It managed to create a convincing 3D environment using wireframe graphics, which was quite advanced for its time.
  3. Freedom of Choice: "Elite" offered players an unprecedented level of freedom. You could choose to be a trader, a pirate, a bounty hunter, or any combination of these roles. The game didn't impose a linear narrative, allowing players to forge their own paths and create unique experiences.
  4. Procedural Generation: The game's universe was procedurally generated, meaning that each player's experience was different. This added a high degree of replayability and excitement as players never knew exactly what they would encounter next.
  5. Influence on Game Design: "Elite" had a significant impact on the development of subsequent games and the overall game design landscape. It inspired future space simulation and trading games, influencing franchises like "Elite Dangerous," "EVE Online," and others.
  6. Cultural Impact: "Elite" gained a cult following and left a lasting impact on gaming culture. Its innovative gameplay and technical achievements made it a hallmark of the early days of gaming.
While "Elite" is undoubtedly a standout title for the ZX Spectrum, there were many other great games for the platform as well, each with its own unique qualities and contributions to the gaming world.
Not exactly know for its unequivocal answers, is it?

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Oh dear. ChatGPT having a howler today.
What's the worst ZX Spectrum game?
The ZX Spectrum had a wide variety of games, and opinions on the "worst" game can vary greatly depending on personal preferences and experiences. However, one game that is often cited as one of the worst ZX Spectrum games is "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial."

Released in 1983 by Atari, "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" was a tie-in game for the popular movie of the same name. The game's rushed development, combined with technical limitations of the ZX Spectrum and other platforms it was released on, resulted in a poorly designed and frustrating gameplay experience. The game's graphics and controls were subpar, and players often found it confusing and difficult to understand the objectives. Due to these factors, the game is often considered one of the worst video games ever made, not just on the ZX Spectrum but across multiple platforms.

It's important to note that opinions on the worst game can be subjective, and some people might have different choices for the worst ZX Spectrum game based on their own experiences and preferences.
When challenged, It then goes on to suggest Druid II : Enlightenment
Again, opinions on the worst game can vary, but "Druid II" is frequently brought up in these discussions.
News to us all, I suspect.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

The concept of SQIJ would make its world come crashing down, and it knows it.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

When I asked about multicolour games, it told me "Chequered Flag" used a "Pseudo High-resolution mode" to make more colours appear (there I think it's talking about the ZX81 psuedo-hi-res technique developed by Software Farm).
And "Buzzsaw+" was apparently written by John Hollis and published by Quicksilva in 1983 (I think it's somehow cottoned on to Aquaplane and its timed border-switch effect).
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Joefish wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:56 am And "Buzzsaw+" was apparently written by John Hollis and published by Quicksilva in 1983.
And that’s how history is rewritten—not by a clique of malevolent scribes, but by a mindless AI bot.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I do like to educate myself sometimes...

> Tell me about the game "Buzzsaw+" for the ZX Spectrum
I'm sorry, but as of my last knowledge update in September 2021, I don't have any specific information about a game called "Buzzsaw+" for the ZX Spectrum. It's possible that this game was released after my last update or that it's a lesser-known title that didn't gain widespread recognition.
Ouch! Maybe it's the '+' sign, everybody always forgets that...

> Tell me about the game "Buzzsaw" for the ZX Spectrum
"Buzzsaw" is a classic video game developed and published by Fantasy Software for the ZX Spectrum, an 8-bit home computer that was popular in the 1980s. "Buzzsaw" was released in 1983 and falls into the category of arcade-style action games that were common during that era.

In "Buzzsaw," players take on the role of a character who must navigate a maze-like environment filled with obstacles and enemies. The main objective of the game is to collect all the pellets or objects scattered throughout the maze while avoiding contact with enemies.

The maze in "Buzzsaw" is unique in that it's constructed with a scrolling mechanic. This means that the maze itself doesn't fit entirely on the screen at once; instead, as the player character moves, the maze scrolls to reveal more of it. This scrolling feature adds an additional layer of challenge and strategy to the gameplay, as players need to anticipate the maze's layout and plan their movements accordingly.

The name "Buzzsaw" likely refers to the enemies in the game that move around in a buzzing, saw-like pattern, making them difficult to avoid. Players must maneuver skillfully to avoid these enemies while collecting pellets and navigating the maze.

"Buzzsaw" is representative of the simple yet addictive gameplay that was characteristic of many games from the early days of home computing. Its mechanics are reminiscent of other maze-based games like "Pac-Man," where players must make quick decisions to avoid enemies and achieve the game's objectives.

If you're interested in retro gaming or the history of video games, "Buzzsaw" is a noteworthy title to explore, showcasing the creativity and limitations of game development during the ZX Spectrum era.
At least it knows who published Chequered Flag and when, it just thinks it's a "top-down perspective" racing game with "simple, blocky sprites" of the "AI opponents".
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Mpk wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:20 am Oh dear. ChatGPT having a howler today.
To be fair, there is E.T.X. on the Spectrum, which is a fairly direct port of the infamous Atari 2600 game...

...But, yes, this does seem to be another fine example of ChatGPT simply scraping the internet for 'worst game' and then claiming it was on the Spectrum, because that's the computer named in the question.

Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

I agree with all besides Horace:

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Looking at the first page of google search for this question, I noticed an excellent top 100 list, which most closely matches my taste.
Obviously made by people who know the Spectrum and its history, most of the game descriptions are really well written and worth reading.
https://retro-sanctuary.com/Top-100-Spe ... age-1.html
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

*cough* Chaos *cough*
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Nick wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:51 pm *cough* Chaos *cough*
Chaos is in 7th place, what's wrong with that?
I would definitely order some games differently, but the selection is very good.
I even discovered a two games, which I haven't played before like Keyleth and Vulcan.