Should game reviews mark down games for being unoriginal?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Re: Should game reviews mark down games for being unoriginal?

Post by HEXdidnt »

equinox wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:28 am Regarding your comment that players will "imply" a plot when it isn't there...

tldr: I am speculating, maybe you were in the industry at the time, tell us what you know from that time. <3
Not that they'd imply (infer?) a plot when there wasn't one, more that, prior to loading a game up, the box art and inlay descriptions would often have them imagining a wonderful gaming experience that, upon loading, the software spectacularly failed to live up to.

A particular example that's stuck with me is the computer game adaptation of the Fighting Fantasy book, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I was a massive fan of the Fighting Fantasy series (pretty sure I bought every single one, up to a point). They were effectively the analogue, more portable equivalent of a text adventure, or a cut-down, solo D&D campaign... yet the game adaptation was a horrific maze game with stickman sprites, effectively a clone of Halls of the Things (although 'sequel to' is probably more accurate, since it's by the same developer). Sure, on a basic level, it was an adaptation of the original book... but it didn't even follow its geography, and most of the mechanics were removed in favour of 4-directional movement within the maze, and 'waggle your sword to attack'.

Never been 'in the industry', but spent a lot of time in arcades back in the day, and have played some 80s games from Japan via emulators... My impression is that they tended to apply a story (random though it may be) to even the simplest of games... But then, I tend to get the impression that Japanese kids were/are more inclined to read than their Western contemporaries.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart | A Pixel Art Odyssey
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

HEXdidnt wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:20 am A particular example that's stuck with me is the computer game adaptation of the Fighting Fantasy book, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I was a massive fan of the Fighting Fantasy series (pretty sure I bought every single one, up to a point). They were effectively the analogue, more portable equivalent of a text adventure, or a cut-down, solo D&D campaign... yet the game adaptation was a horrific maze game with stickman sprites [...] adaptation of the original book... but it didn't even follow its geography, and most of the mechanics were removed in favour of 4-directional movement within the maze, and 'waggle your sword to attack'.
What you wanted was tabletop gaming.
Which is pretty much the random dice roll in a text adventure (see e.g. combat in Mountains of Ket)
If the books are better, well, damn, books will always be better. I love fine literature but I would never see it as a function of computering.

"Warlock of Firetop" was also a run-stab-nonsense. But c'mon. You ever played (say) NetHack? That's probably the most complicated and brilliant game in the world. And it's very much based on D&D. Oh I could go on... I'm tired and drunk... but yeah. You can't expect too much in an 8-bit, sadly

(No offence btw, I'm just reductivist. It's clear, like you, the likes of Simon Brattel [bit of a Speccy legend I hope] were hacking something together based on their own stories -- but maybe based more on the story and less on the imagination.)
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

equinox wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:42 am What you wanted was tabletop gaming.
Which is pretty much the random dice roll in a text adventure (see e.g. combat in Mountains of Ket)
If the books are better, well, damn, books will always be better. I love fine literature but I would never see it as a function of computering.

"Warlock of Firetop" was also a run-stab-nonsense. But c'mon. You ever played (say) NetHack? That's probably the most complicated and brilliant game in the world. And it's very much based on D&D. Oh I could go on... I'm tired and drunk... but yeah. You can't expect too much in an 8-bit, sadly

(No offence btw, I'm just reductivist. It's clear, like you, the likes of Simon Brattel [bit of a Speccy legend I hope] were hacking something together based on their own stories -- but maybe based more on the story and less on the imagination.)
No offense taken, but we may be talking at cross purposes at this point (not to mention deviating from the original topic): Warlock, the computer game was 'run-stab-nonsense' because (according to the developers' own words) it came about because they got talking to Steve Jackson, showed him Halls of the Things, and got the license off the back of that... so, rather than being a true adaptation of the book, it's a sequel to Halls of the Things.

Warlock, the book, is precisely 'tabletop gaming', distilled into book form. You choose your route through the game, roll dice for combat and specific feats of skill and luck.

However, even if it was a traditional narrative, Nethack would have been a far better starting point for the videogame adaptation than Halls of the Things ever was. That, or The Bard's Tale... Or Heroquest... or Space Crusade... Or even Shadowfire. Warlock, the game, didn't even attempt to follow the story presented in the book.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart | A Pixel Art Odyssey