Habits you have because of anything Spectrum

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Habits you have because of anything Spectrum

Post by Morkin »

I have a walking commute to/from work, and to break up the boredom I sometimes lapse into the arm-swinging, loping gait of the dudes out of Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach. It's quite an economical way to walk if your legs are tired. I prefer to do it when nobody's watching though. :oops:

When I do gym-style exercises, I always do reps in batches of 16, 32, or 48 rather than mutiples of 10.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Occasionally when leaving the supermarket with a carload of groceries, I'll text the wife that I'm 'En route with supplies'.

She has no idea why I'm using that phrase, and must never find out.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Mpk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:11 pm Occasionally when leaving the supermarket with a carload of groceries, I'll text the wife that I'm 'En route with supplies'.

I feel like I should know why, but I'm struggling to remember where that comes from. Old age strikes again.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Nice try, wife.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Morkin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:23 am I have a walking commute to/from work, and to break up the boredom I sometimes lapse into the arm-swinging, loping gait of the dudes out of Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach. It's quite an economical way to walk if your legs are tired. I prefer to do it when nobody's watching though.
If you lean as far forward as Cú Chulainn does, you'll be face first on the tarmac. And then the Sídhe will do a merry dance all over you, possibly to the tune of "The Irish Washerwoman".*

Also, it was about two days ago when I found out that the number of motion sprites had been reduced between Tir na Nog and Dun Darach. I thought Gargoyle had just given Cú Chulainn some extra clothes.

10 BORDER 4: PAPER 4: INK 0: CLS: REM this line is optional but is best included for an appropriate background
20 PRINT "Ya ta tarr ta torr ta tei ti tei": REM this line is also optional but is best included for maximum Irishness
30 PLAY "1GFECCgCCECEGFEFDDaDDFDFAGFECCgCCECEGFEFEFDGFECC4C"
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Morkin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:23 am I have a walking commute to/from work, and to break up the boredom I sometimes lapse into the arm-swinging, loping gait of the dudes out of Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach. It's quite an economical way to walk if your legs are tired. I prefer to do it when nobody's watching though. :oops:
Oh this is fantastic. I already did NPC walking and random emotes in public to annoy my son. Now I have something else for him to complain about!
Spoiler
Actually, I just only do this when he’s been annoying. I’m old now and have no shame.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Sometimes I make beep noises when walking, like for example the main character in Knight Lore.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

I'm the strange habit of looking above my screen from time to time.

Why? Because I used to have a ZX Spectrum + (still working), a black and white CRT Thomson TV (I don't know what happened to it) and a big tabby orange cat (died about 20 years ago). Old times TVs usually had enough space to fit a cat above them, and more than enough heat to make keep that cat warm and happy. So when I was a child, I usually looked above the TV to see if my cat was there.

I miss that feeling of company (and that everything-is-ok feeling).

(BTW, my wife also had a cat, that lived when transitioned from a CRT PC monitor to a TFT one. No need to mention that the cat felt very disappointed after trying to stay above the new, hi-tech, monitor)
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

Mpk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:11 pm Occasionally when leaving the supermarket with a carload of groceries, I'll text the wife that I'm 'En route with supplies'.

Is that Colony? I hope she remembers to switch on the beacon before you get close.
Wrestling with useless old junk since 1974.
Vintage computers: ZX81, Spectrum +2, TRS-80 Model 100, Z88, Amstrad NC100
http://journeyman.online
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Journeyman wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:17 am Is that Colony?
It's definitely not Colony.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I haven't a clue about this one, presumably not Supertrolley.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Mpk wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:48 am It's definitely not Colony.
Saying "it's definitely not" probably gave the game away there? I'm not watching a 44 minute video to see if it says that in the game though ;) It does keep saying "Combat unit resupplied" though. Looks like the ship takes ages to go and get the supplies anyway.

Kept crashing for me. It was another game where the author wrote the code on paper and hand assembled the opcodes, maybe that's why it was so buggy lol.

Other people who did that had better results... Ant Attack and Skool Daze/Back to Skool. The guy who wrote the Skool games got his missus to type in the opcodes lol.

Dunno if you can do a spoiler on this site
Spoiler
Is it definitely Stonkers?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Aaaaahh :oops:
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Working in education I internally label some of my students "Einstein", "Boy Wander" and "Angelface". And imagine Einstein prefixing things with "Please Sir I cannot tell a lie ..."
CLEAR 23855
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:52 pm
Spoiler
Is it definitely Stonkers?
Yes, it definitely is.

For a moment there, I thought I was going to have to write a script. It's definitely not %1

Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

uglifruit wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:03 pm Working in education I internally label some of my students "Einstein", "Boy Wander" and "Angelface". And imagine Einstein prefixing things with "Please Sir I cannot tell a lie ..."
I'm not a teacher, but when I was in school I knew exactly who in my class those 3 were. We had a spot-on Mr Withit as well.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I would wager that at least half this forum could have been Einstein.

However, if saying "Please Sir, I cannot tell a lie" is a prerequisite, then I'd hope that number falls to zero...
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Having spent the last couple of months typing in one listing a week from Games to Play on Your ZX Spectrum, I keep using CTRL + P at work when wanting double quotes, and wondering why the Windows print manager pops up.

More Games for Your ZX Spectrum next!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:28 pm Having spent the last couple of months typing in one listing a week from Games to Play on Your ZX Spectrum, I keep using CTRL + P at work when wanting double quotes, and wondering why the Windows print manager pops up.
It's a lot worse typing in Commie listings with VICE (any model, not just the C64) - Ctrl+P pauses the emulator. I had a nasty shock the first time I did that after typing in a large amount of listing that I hadn't saved...
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Yes, me too! Hitting tab instead of delete is another very common one. I do that on SAM all the time; I think because in my head I’m in “retro” mode and the muscle-memory for delete being on the left kicks in.

That rarely happens when I’m using a modern computer, but for some reason CTRL+P does persist. I suppose that’s because it goes right back to my first ever Spectrum, and it was only much later I got my hands on a fancy Spectrum with a dedicated delete key.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

When using 128 BASIC, I sometimes forget that it’s like a normal computer and try a key combination for a keyword, which of course doesn’t work…

Because I’ve always used a variety of different computers with different keyboards, I don’t suffer from CTRL-P too badly. But instead do suffer SHIFT-2 not doing what I expect on a Spectrum emulator or even a real machine until I remember…

Also I’m always managing to find that I have turned on CAPS SHIFT when I don’t mean to.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
deanysoft
Dizzy

Post by deanysoft »

having certain numbers bother you when you're asked to provide meter readings...

"oh we gonna rock down to electric attributes..."
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

then they'll make the price higher?
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

One habit I've more or less broken now is that I used to organise my SAM pixel art palettes in two groups of eight colours, one being brighter shades of the other. I still tend to organise them in order of lightness, though. Palette slot #0 is always black, #15 is always the lightest, though not always white.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Driving my cool red car into work this morning, I raced down the ramp into the car park, swung around the 90-degree corner with tyres squealing... And there he was. A man. On a ladder. Fixing a light. Right in front of me.

I decided not to knock him over, as I don't need the penalty points, but it absolutely crossed my mind.