Devfinitive Edition (Jon Ritman): vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:52 am

3D Combat Zone by Artic
No votes
Batman (3D isometric) by Ocean
6%
Bear Bovver by Artic
2%
Cosmic Debris by Artic
No votes
Dimension Destructors by Artic
No votes
Head Over Heels by Ocean
63%
International Match Day by Ocean
6%
Match Day by Ocean
10%
Match Day II by Ocean
14%

Total votes: 51

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

So important to the Speccy scene that he has his own Wikipedia page, we're talking about Jon Ritman's tangible ZX Spectrum output in this new series of polls about game developers. Sorry ZX81 fans, no mention of Namtir Raiders here. (Er, apart from just then - Ed.) His later work was a lot more polished and I think it's right to honour the late great Bernie Drummond here, who was the accompanying artist on the Ocean releases.

Anyway, you have seven days to select what you think is Jon Ritman's finest tangible ZX Spectrum game, from this list:

3D Combat Zone by Artic

Batman (3D isometric) by Ocean

Bear Bovver by Artic

Cosmic Debris by Artic

Dimension Destructors by Artic

Head Over Heels by Ocean

International Match Day by Ocean

Match Day by Ocean

Match Day II by Ocean

And yeah, like my other polls, you can also add a 'top three games' comment which will be considered for the proportional results poll.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Re: Devfinitive Edition (Jon Ritman): vote

Post by hitm4n »

Batman
Cosmic Debris
Head Over Heels
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Head Over Heels
Match Day II
Dimension Destructors
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Head Over Heels
Batman
Bear Bovver

This was an easy one. Head Over Heels by a huge distance.
I don't like any of the Match Day games and it bothers me that the seem to have used the sprites from.Bear Bovver.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Head over Heels
Batman
Bear Bovver

A pretty easy choice given that I was never much of a football fan.
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

1. Head Over Heels
2. Match Day II
3. Batman
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

1. Head Over Heels
2. Batman
3. Match Day
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Tan Coul
Dizzy

Post by Tan Coul »

1. Match Day II
2. Match Day
3. Batman
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Voted for Match Day 2. I tried to like Batman and HoH but isometric games are rubbish 99% of the time.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

HoH for me as it’s an out and out classic. Yes some people say ‘but it’s just another isometric game’, but it’s so much more than your average iso game. The fact that the game doesn’t even start properly until you’ve hooked Head and Heals up is testament to the beauty of this game. Even playing it on my 48k was a huge amount of fun but when I upgraded to a +2 the 128 version blew me away. No more multi-load and the music, oh that sweet sweet music. Nearly 40 years later I can still remember each ditty.

1 - Head over Heals
2 - Batman
3 - Bear Bovver ( one of the first games I played on a speccy)
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Head Over Heels
2 Match Day
3 International Match Day
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1. Match Day II
2. Match Day
3. 3D Combat Zone
blucey wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:29 pm isometric games are rubbish 99% of the time.
:lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Of the games I’ve played:
1. Match Day
2. Bear Bovver
3. Head Over Heels

I still need to get fully stuck into HoH
animaal
Microbot

Post by animaal »

International Match Day
Match Day
HOH
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

While I know Head over Heels was Jon’s best game, Match Day holds a special place in my heart. I remember my best friend getting a copy of it and we spent hours playing against each other. It felt like it was the greatest football game ever made and I loved the clam case it came in, it made the game feel very “premium”. Happy days!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

1. Match Day
2. Batman
3. 3D Combat Zone

I chose Match Day because, although MD II is better and more payable, MD was impressive when it came out, never seen something similar on the Spectrum
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

1. Head Over Heels
2. Batman
3. Match Day II
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

It's a getting a bit boring here:

1) Head over Heels. I'm not very sure about if I like the game, but there is a lot of technical marvel there, while having so many rooms and puzzles, and so many great looking graphics.

2) Batman. I feel like this game is easier, but it's still too hard for me. But back then I like the wide, masked Batman a lot.

3) Match Day. :)
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

1) Match Day - The one I played most by a wide margin. A terrific football game, with multiplayer. I considered putting MD2 here for some tactical voting, but with HoH at 70%, what would be the point?
2) Head over Heels - Best in Class.
3) Batman - As one of the 1% of non-crap isometic games, this really stood out visually from the pack and plays well.
hendrikbez
Drutt

Post by hendrikbez »

My list.

1. Head over Heels.
2. Batman.

wish there were more games like this to play that are good. Where is the new Head over Heels Game?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Was there a reason (e.g. licensing costs) why Batman didn't feature more suitable themed enemies? Even if they weren't all full-height human characters walking around, incorporating villains like Penguin or Mad Hatter could have then led to related smaller enemy sprites.
Also, I find some of the background scenery in that game quite rough and off-putting. Not as clean and sharply designed as Head Over Heels.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Joefish wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:38 pm Was there a reason (e.g. licensing costs) why Batman didn't feature more suitable themed enemies? Even if they weren't all full-height human characters walking around, incorporating villains like Penguin or Mad Hatter could have then led to related smaller enemy sprites.
Also, I find some of the background scenery in that game quite rough and off-putting. Not as clean and sharply designed as Head Over Heels.
From Jon Ritman himself https://www.retrogamer.net/profiles/developer/jon-hare/
We then discussed the fact that we could actually work together and do this and tried to think about what to actually do and at some point I kind of randomly suggested Batman. Bernie did a little character and I took it up to Ocean. The engine wasn’t written at this stage and we just had Batman running around in an environment similar to the Knight Lore screens. Anyway we showed it to David Ward and he immediately started singing the theme tune and Ocean set to work getting the rights
Sounds like they’d come up with a Batman sprite and then Ocean got the licence, but that’s about all of the Batman themed stuff in it, I guess!

I don’t think the licence would have been that expensive, Batman at this point was still really well known for the 60s TV shows, which were often repeated when Good Morning Britain staff went on strike.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

toot_toot wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:57 pm I don’t think the licence would have been that expensive, Batman at this point was still really well known for the 60s TV shows, which were often repeated when Good Morning Britain staff went on strike.
Sure, but the licensing of other characters might have been an issue as some of these things were more complicated than might be expected. Although they certainly managed for the next Batman game so maybe not.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

1. MatchDay II
2. Head Over Heels
3. Batman

I played MatchDay II far more than the other two, and I was never very good at those isometric games, but they are great and I really ought to try and beat them with save states one day.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

toot_toot wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:57 pm I don’t think the licence would have been that expensive, Batman at this point was still really well known for the 60s TV shows, which were often repeated when Good Morning Britain staff went on strike.
True - before the Jack Nicholson movie it was probably not considered all that valuable. Cheap enough that DC likely weren't even bothered about what sort of game it was either; just another bit of random Bat-merch like all the party napkins and cheap nylon underpants they'd licensed before! Though they wouldn't have been at the point of demanding separate licenses for any of the villains either.

The rest of the graphics and sprites in the game could have been more Batman-themed though.