The latest ZXDB database update will be applied today at 1530 BST. The site goes down for around 30 minutes whilst this happens.

C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: C.S.C.G.C 2023 is open for entries

Post by R-Tape »

Nice game - it's like Thrust controlled from outside with extra variables. However, the decent loading screen, short looping nautical music better than Booty, and being fun are shamefully disrespectful of this competition.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:10 pm I cant sit on this one any longer

A belter of a game from @uglifruit

You know where - please enjoy.
Glad you liked it. Unusually I'm still enjoying playing it, which is is a weird feeling. I liked it so much I drew it a loading screen! (as Victor Kiam nearly said).
CLEAR 23855
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:15 am @equinox I love this excitement that is being built here. Which discord are you on? I tried to find it, but failed!
Work is still insane and I'm really struggling to finish reviews.and do them justice. But there is some great stuff in my inbox!!
Last night I finished coding the "blind maze".
Fortunately, since I'm a GENIUS [for ten minutes a day -- some call it "sober"], I just had to write something like "IF level<>7" on the ball display subroutine.
Imagine testing it otherwise --
It is written like: undraw ball, GOSUB (current level/phase, which can decide on the direction and physics), draw ball, loop. -- Uhhh yes you can see why I eventually tore my hair and started moving the ball in the subroutines. Although the single stupid, slowest thing is using RND (for the "unstable table"), which I now plan to replace with some kind of precalculated list. Gee.

also accidentally not doing "OVER 0" can create some funny bugs. (Obviously if you do a lovely screen in Art Studio, you don't want to stomp over it with your UDGs, you must do OVER 1 at all times -- except sometimes. You'll see.) Explanation: to jump the "tower" (you know that bit at the bottom left) you have to hit the slider at the correct time, just like a golf game where you take your swing. If you accidentally do it with OVER then the slidey arrow is going to leave a funny trail one way, and eat itself the other way. errrr...
Coming soon I promise.

You succeed if you are plus or minus one the centre point on the slider. I had considered doing the "skip" (as video game speedrunners call it) if you hit the slider dead on the centre -- because you could do this in real Screwball Scramble, you could skip the tower and hop straight across to the maze. But at this point I'm starting to get sick of this bloody game. COMING SOON I PROMISE.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I really enjoyed Pam Ferris's Ferrous Ferries, @uglifruit. What a great idea. Congratulations.

I'm going to start a thread to ask where the inspiration comes from for C.S.C.G.C coders. I'm a confident BASIC (+ simplistic ROM routine assembly) programmer, but have zero imagination!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

It's actually interesting to see what can be achieved in basic, and how you can actually author good stuff if you know how
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

Jbizzel wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:32 pm
what about just a crap program competition? ive got plenty of those...
i started programming the spectrum when i was 8 :-

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1

http://zxspeccy.great-site.net/
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

777 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:11 am what about just a crap program competition? ive got plenty of those...
You know what to do.
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

Jbizzel wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:38 pm You know what to do.
do i just send them to you?
i started programming the spectrum when i was 8 :-

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1

http://zxspeccy.great-site.net/
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

777 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:37 am do i just send them to you?
Yes. See the website, it has the address.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/

New fun non game reviewed. enjoy it for a few minutes
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Guilty feet have got no rhythm...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

That was more fun than it ought to have been.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Great stuff! Additional kudos to co-worker Steve for nailing it with a pitch-perfect Crap Game idea after only hearing about it for the first time.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I love these little details. It what draws me in!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:42 am I'm going to start a thread to ask where the inspiration comes from for C.S.C.G.C coders. I'm a confident BASIC (+ simplistic ROM routine assembly) programmer, but have zero imagination!
You may open a can of worms. I have a list of "possible CGC games": you are welcome to make them all.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

New game reviewwwweddddd

https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

you may be missing out on playing the most boring game ever made.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:47 pm you may be missing out on playing the most boring game ever made.
Ooh but there's definitely a good idea trying to get out here. Although I fastforwarded to 1 minute to go, from there I did have a sense of anticipation followed by excitement when I took the pic. BITD I might have even watched the whole thing with bated breath (after all, back then this all used to be fields).
Indeed, there were times, while playing this that I thought that I had died and simply forgotten.
Love this^ :D
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Happy to announce that Screwball Scramble has been finished at long last, and sent to Mr B.

My best time so far is 0:14. (The "seconds" are a bit vague because some parts of the game run a little slower than others. I compiled it in HiSoft Basic though so it's pretty dang fast overall.)

Since the "unstable table" has a heavy random component (unlike most of the other sections), competing on times eventually starts coming down to luck in that area. Fortunately I remembered to do another RANDOMIZE after the RANDOMIZE USR that draws the game board, so it won't be the same every time...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

equinox wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:57 pm Happy to announce that Screwball Scramble has been finished at long last, and sent to Mr B.
Tools used in making this only semi-crap game (in order of appearance):

* Microsoft Paint (lol) to draw the game playfield in black and white.
* BMP2SCR, to convert that image (and the loading screen from the official game logo).
* Art Studio 128, to colour those monochrome images.
* Screen Compressor, to compress the loading screen.
* Hisoft BASIC, to compile my BASIC program into fast machine code.
* Turbo Compressor, to compress the compiled game code.

Why it doesn't look much like BASIC: the whole thing is done with INK 8; PAPER 8; OVER 1 printing, so that the ball doesn't erase any graphics or colours that it passes over. There are actually 9 UDGs for the ball. This allows the (nominally) 8x8 ball to move in steps of 4 pixels: it can be in a single character cell, or split between 2 cells horizontally, or 2 vertically, or 4 on both axes! The ball position is tracked with variables a,b,c,d: it's PRINT AT a,b and then c and d indicate whether to adjust the position by half a cell (4 pixels) i.e. use the alternate UDGs.

That is to say (with the UDGs being letters A through I):

PRINT AT a,b;"A" AND NOT c AND NOT d;"DE" AND NOT c AND d;"FG" AND c AND d;"B" AND c AND NOT d: IF a<21 THEN PRINT AT a+1,b;"HI" AND c AND d;"C" AND c AND NOT d

Now you understand why I drink.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Reviewed!!! https://csscgc23.blogspot.com/

This is very, very good and an amazing effort from @equinox . It was a pleasure to play and review. Thank you
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Shameless bump.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:27 pm Shameless bump.
I've had plenty of them in the blind maze. Still can't get out of it :oops:

Impressive work by Eq here. He's joined a group of about 4 entrants so far, that need to prepare for government.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:33 pm I've had plenty of them in the blind maze. Still can't get out of it :oops:

Impressive work by Eq here. He's joined a group of about 4 entrants so far, that need to prepare for government.
My thoughts exactly.

Where is @EquinoxeZX to explain himself???

Is this a bug or a feature, sir?????
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I think the blind maze is too hard and feels random. Although, I now know it's possible... By blind luck