The best Speccy game by Nexus Productions: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:52 am

Firestorm
9%
Hades Nebula
13%
Micronaut One
74%
N.E.X.U.S.
4%

Total votes: 23

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I don't understand how the last card is played, but somehow the vital connection is made.

You have seven days to pick yer favourite out these four ZX Spectrum games from Nexus Productions.

Firestorm

Hades Nebula

Micronaut One

N.E.X.U.S.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Nexus Productions: vote

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Micronaut One
2 Hades Nebula
3 Firestorm
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Hades Nebula
2. Micronaut One
3. NEXUS
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

1. Micronaut One
2. Firestorm
3. NEXUS

There's a very big gap between 1 and 2 though and it's easy to see why they never made it past four games.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:52 am I don't understand how the last card is played, but somehow the vital connection is made.
I give up. What's that got to do with this?
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Oh, wow, these guys were so ambitious with their games... I really wanted to enjoy NEXUS, but the conversion to the Speccy was so clunky, To be fair, the C64 version wasn't much better, but the concept was great.

Firestorm looks to be quite a similar game of infiltration, let down by clumsy implementation... I think Micronaut One and Hades Nebula were the only ones that were particularly fun to play, but I don't think I got very far with either.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Voted for Micronaut One as it was the only Nexus title I played but...

I know it's highly regarded by some/many but I thought it was crap. My mates at the time loved it but I could never get on with it. I had a bit of a habit with the occasional well-liked game BITD. Never enjoyed a single second of Elite (I know I'm not alone there) and Spindizzy are two of the more memorable ones. Weirdly I loved their sequels - Frontier and Spindizzy Worlds.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I've played Firestorm half a million times, and the others... not at all. Until recently(ish), I was unaware Nexus Productions had made anything else...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Mpk wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:54 am I give up. What's that got to do with this?
I think nexus is another word for connection and @PeteProdge is displaying his knowledge of nineties indie by quoting a lyric from the song 'Connection' by Elastica.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Only one I played is Micronaught One and I didn't like it.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Nick wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:00 pm I think nexus is another word for connection and @PeteProdge is displaying his knowledge of nineties indie by quoting a lyric from the song 'Connection' by Elastica.
Yay!

(Who wants a life, anyway?)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:44 pm (Who wants a life, anyway?)
The Replicants from Blade Runner.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

RWAC wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:16 pm Only one I played is Micronaught One and I didn't like it.
You sound like someone's mum coming into a Eurovision broadcast a bit late. PLAY THEM then you can vote!

(Isn't Firestorm weird? Like a cross between Gauntlet and some sort of role-playing comic fantasy thing.)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Because of a long weekend up in central Scotland, I was well away from my desktop PC and only brought my tablet with me purely to post the new polls on Sunday morning. I've been sleep deprived since that 700 mile round trip and now I'm recovered and only just catching up on finalising the results of these polls...

Unsurprisingly, it's Micronaut One that's the miles-ahead standout in this poll about a rather obscure full price label. Maybe the Crash Power Tape appearance helped with that. Or maybe because it's from the brilliant Pete Cooke. Anyway, it got 17 votes!

In second place, Hades Nebula with 3 votes.

Firestorm is in third, with 2 votes.

And the somewhat eponymous N.E.X.U.S. is fourth, with 1 vote.

Another heart has made the trade. And here are the proportional votes, telling pretty much the same story:

Micronaut One 8
Hades Nebula 5
Firestorm 3
N.E.X.U.S. 2

There is the luck you crave.