Devfinitive Edition (Joffa): vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Devfinitive Edition (Joffa): vote

Poll ended at Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:47 am

Batman: The Caped Crusader by Ocean
2%
Cobra by Ocean
18%
Daley Thompson's Supertest by Ocean
4%
Firefly by Ocean
15%
Green Beret by Imagine
24%
Hyper Active by Special FX
4%
Hyper Sports by Imagine
29%
Hysteria by Software Projects
2%
Mikie by Imagine
2%
Pud Pud by Ocean
No votes
Saucer by Shorten Suite Software
No votes
Street Hawk - Catalogue Edition by Ocean
No votes
Terra Cresta by Imagine
2%

Total votes: 55

ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Re: Devfinitive Edition (Joffa): vote

Post by ParadigmShifter »

I think Jof really nailed the presentation on Hypersports making it amazingly close to the arcade version including all the stylish bits like the star pattern when entering your name etc. And the winking at the end of skeet shooting, and includes the duck (not sure if it includes the ghost though if you get 3 ducks?). Also the "Nice" during archery. All round top presentation.

Pole vault got cut right at the end he probably could have found the spare memory for it though if he had enough time. Should maybe have cut the weight lifting instead that was a real joystick killer :)
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Vampyre wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:11 am Quite surprising in the proportional vote to see where Firefly and Supertest are placed. Never played Firefly myself but it's been talked about in glowing terms on forums over the years so I expected it to be much higher, certainly higher than Supertest.

Very pleased to see Hypersports winning both :-) My favourite arcade conversion on the Speccy.
I'd think that Firefly is a bit of a marmite game. Most people are probably going to find it impenetrable to start with, and it certainly felt that way to me for a while, but things eventually clicked together and it became really enjoyable. I'm clearly not the only one who feels that way about it.

I'd put Cobra and Green Beret in a similar bracket. They're both games that require a bit of the old "git gud" before they become truly enjoyable, but the gameplay is a lot more basic than Firefly so a lot more people will get them.

Conversely, I'd think that Supertest is much easier to get into, even if some of the individual events are a bit shallow. Hypersports just does the same thing better, with immaculate presentation, so is the deserved winner.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Pegaz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:28 pm My biggest surprise is that Green Beret got so many votes, more than Cobra and FireFly.
I never really liked this game on any platform, too stressful and frustrating, in many ways...
I went for Green Beret, even with Hyper Sports in the same compilation I got on the very weekend I became a Speccy owner, because it's just more fascinating to me. Hyper Sports was rather impenetrable, Green Beret was something you could pick up and go. Plus, I've a natural bias against joystick wagglers. Hyper Sports though, I do recognise as brilliant, in many ways, better than the Daley Thompson offerings.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Green beret: getting the flamethrower and managing to wipe out a phalanx of baddies in one go made all those lethal ankle stabs worthwhile.