Dopamine hits - moments in Spectrum gaming that give you immense satisfaction

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Dopamine hits - moments in Spectrum gaming that give you immense satisfaction

Post by PeteProdge »

And I don't mean completing the game, just fleeting moments that give you a warm feeling inside.

Renegade
Throwing/kicking a baddy off a 'cliff' to their death in level 1 or 2.

Saboteur!
Having a ride on that underground train thing.

Chaos
"NEW SPELL FOR [you]"
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Dopamine hits - moments in Spectrum gaming that give you immense satisfaction

Post by R-Tape »

Best not to get too Freudian about it, but on R-Type, holding down the fire key for a good long while and releasing a blast.
Tan Coul
Dizzy

Re: Dopamine hits - moments in Spectrum gaming that give you immense satisfaction

Post by Tan Coul »

Getting a sequence of corners right in Grand Prix Simulator 2. You know the inertia will get you in the end, but while the flow lasts it is awesome.
animaal
Microbot

Post by animaal »

In Bruce Lee, holding down [fire] and [left/right] and defeating the ninja with 4 swift kicks.

Manual docking in Elite
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Bouncing a projectile off of Mr Whacker's head, hitting a shield, and Boy Wander getting the lines for it.
CLEAR 23855
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

uglifruit wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:41 pm Bouncing a projectile off of Mr Whacker's head, hitting a shield, and Boy Wander getting the lines for it.
Unfortunately I can only remember the Cortisol response of being shunted from my chair and getting a rollocking for it—far too close to reality!
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

After so many tries, killing those pesky flamethrowers and therefore completing Green Beret for the first time in my life. Just a few weeks ago (I've been playing the game since the 80's :D :D :D )
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Doing a successful publicity stunt in Rock Star ate my Hamster that doesn't kill a member of your band.

The buzz of seeing this for the first time over 40 years ago is something I remember better than anything that happened yesterday.

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Manic Miner - making that final jump into the exit box of the Solar Power Generator with a sliver of energy left.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Starquack
Drutt

Post by Starquack »

Completing the RANARAMA word puzzle in time
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Lords of Midnight because of the stunning 3D experience - and when I finally managed to recruit Farflame the Dragon Lord. 16 moves per day! :dance
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

It definitely wasn't dopamine, but the most intense experience was The Sentinel spotting me, and starting to drain my energy. Good god. I'm still shaking.
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Finding the 8th piece of the sub in Blood & Guts after 14-15 years of searching.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Landing a good jump in Bugaboo. I reckon that game is just a total dopamine factory given that dopamine works by giving you what you want, some of the time.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Getting a near as possible perfect pit stop in a Formula 1 manager game ( I can't remember the name of)
Last edited by Nitrowing on Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

-Using multiple rockets in Laser Squad
-Using Turbo in Chase H.Q.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Doing a perfectly timed jump over a bus in Wheelie :dance
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Hitting the tank with a collapsed pinnacle of the building in the penultimate stage of Raid Over Moscow.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Shooting an enemy fighter in Star Raiders II so it spirals out of control before exploding.

Possibly no skill involved but very satisfying.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Oloturia wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:04 am Hitting the tank with a collapsed pinnacle of the building in the penultimate stage of Raid Over Moscow.
Oooh. That's a good one!

Zapping one of the bombs with a water tap in Splitting Images/Split Personalities. Rather than frantically trying to get it through one of the exit points.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
ionut76
Dizzy

Post by ionut76 »

Completing Chronos without cheats, reaching bridge 30 on River Raid, finishing Rainbow Islands without cheats and so on. Great times and great memories.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Passing the first level in Army Moves
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Thought of a few more:

- Jumping into the flashing boxes in Manic Miner, especially from a height.
- Kicking all the motorcyclists off their bikes in Target Renegade and beating the boss without getting hurt.
- Eating the fly during a long journey and not having stop in Percy the Potty Pigeon.
- Repeatedly shooting an exploding alien in Project Future.
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

Renegade: managing one more flying kick at a storming Big Bertha, and then finishing her off while she's lying on the ground. Instant gratification!
Climacus
Drutt

Post by Climacus »

The first time I played Knight Lore