Civilization (in progress)

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Re: Civilization (in progress)

Post by Bedazzle »

helpcomputer0 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:52 pm Here's the completed bits and an example of the tiles.
You are true magician!
helpcomputer0
Microbot

Post by helpcomputer0 »

I finished the title screen. You can download the .scr here: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/h/helpcomp ... ilization/

I copied the DOS boxed version and added a bit of colour to the title and pharaoh.

worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Oooooh, that’s nice!
helpcomputer0
Microbot

Post by helpcomputer0 »

It's nothing really new but I made this collage of the portraits to share on social media with their traditional civ colours.

ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Well I hope you will keep the traditional Gandhi underflow bug that makes him nuke everyone due to aggression stat underflow when he gets democracy and nukes :evil:
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Want a bit of music?

ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Surely this is the best tune ever in a video game though? EDIT: Also, probably the best video game ever as well :)

EDIT: Ok, Gerudo Valley was top notch also ;)

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Nice tunes, but wrong game!
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Well it's still Civ and worth covering the best music from the best game I think ;)

Bring back the sliders! And catapult stacks of doom! And Quechua rushes on marathon (wipe out less than 4 neighbours before Axemen - you're a bit slow aren't you?) :) The Pyramids were awesome!!!

Egypt was great though with their War Chariots :)

When I was playing as Abraham Lincoln my advisor kept saying "I think you should build more theatres" lol. Don't think Abe was very keen on the theatre tbh...

EDIT: And Mr. Leonard "I am not Spock" Spock saying "Beep Beep Beep" as well. Sean Bean can take his "Yorkshire Tea" and do one! Sharpe-ish! To Mordor! Shame they couldn't get Spock for the BtS expansion and he's dead now :(
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

helpcomputer0 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:52 pm Here's the completed bits and an example of the tiles.

There's only a few tiles so far, and I kept the top down view like the original Civilization.

Let me know what else you might need and I'll pause further bits for now.
Don't think that I have disappeared. :D As promised, I worked in the summer. I made a Civilopedia, History, Luxury, inserted all the unit sprites from Helpcomputer0, and finalized the city. I also had to continue working for ZX Like Pascal to optimize code generation in order to increase free memory. All that remains is to make the AI.
Helpcomputer0, I would still like portraits of modern leaders: Putin, Borel, Trump, Maduro, Xi Jiping, etc. And the goal of the game (to save memory) is not a flight to Alpha Centauri, but, as in the real world, the accumulation of luxury, who will buy the most by the end of the game.
I will also replace new landscape sprites, thanks to Helpcomputer0.
I’m showing screenshots, but sorry, they’re in Russian, I haven’t had time to translate yet

Build at city:

Civilopedia:

Game:

Orders:

History:

Coder of ZXOOM, Euphoria 2D, ZX Like Pascal, Russian Railway Magnate...
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

@Andrew771

Glad to see you're still working on it. Can we access the latest version of ZX Like Pascal somewhere?
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

XoRRoX wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 pm @Andrew771

Glad to see you're still working on it. Can we access the latest version of ZX Like Pascal somewhere?
I posted a working version for ZX Like Pascal and Civilization here: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/PsSJ/ERF6Ek2P4

Haven't released the official one yet

Compilation now takes a long time, 1-2 minutes, because deep optimization with searching for similar pieces of code and organizing them into procedures
helpcomputer0
Microbot

Post by helpcomputer0 »

Andrew771 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:42 pm Don't think that I have disappeared. :D As promised, I worked in the summer. I made a Civilopedia, History, Luxury, inserted all the unit sprites from Helpcomputer0, and finalized the city. I also had to continue working for ZX Like Pascal to optimize code generation in order to increase free memory. All that remains is to make the AI.
Helpcomputer0, I would still like portraits of modern leaders: Putin, Borel, Trump, Maduro, Xi Jiping, etc. And the goal of the game (to save memory) is not a flight to Alpha Centauri, but, as in the real world, the accumulation of luxury, who will buy the most by the end of the game.
I'm glad you're still working on it!

I'm not going to make modern leader portraits, it's not really Civ to me with all modern leaders. I hope you can use the ones I've made.

If you decide not to use the original leader portraits I made then I request that you don't use the loading screen I made either, as it wouldn't be a remake of Civilization. I hope you understand.
Xela
Dizzy

Post by Xela »

Andrew771 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:42 pm I’m showing screenshots, but sorry, they’re in Russian, I haven’t had time to translate yet
Построить колонистов, галеру и библиотеку в одном меню... логически как-то странно. в оригинальной Циве так же было?

Civilopedia - по нажатию на топик будет открываться отдельная статья, или это итоговый вид Цивилопедии? Режит глаз такое впихвание в одну строку максимума информации - где-то пробелы отсутствуют, где-то знаки препинания и пр..

По игре, точнее по приказам: - это помощь по кнопкам, или возможность отдавать приказы только через меню? если через меню, то это долго и не удобно, нужны горячие главиши для приказов, и желательна возможность их переназначить, например: W - север, X - юг, A - запад, D - восток, и тогда: Q - северо-запад, C - юго-восток, и т.д.

---------------------------------------

Build Colonists, Galley, and Library in the same menu.... logically it's kind of weird. Was it the same way in the original Civ?

Civilopedia - will clicking on a topic open a separate article, or is this the final view of Civilopedia? The eye hurts when shoving in one line of maximum information - somewhere spaces are missing, somewhere punctuation marks, etc...

About Game, more precisely About Orders: - is this help on the buttons, or the option to give orders only through the menu? If only through the menu, it is long and not convenient, need hotkeys for orders, and it is desirable the ability to redefine them, for example, W - north, X - south, A - west, D - east, and then: Q - north-west, C - south-east, etc.

p.s. согласен с helpcomputer0 насчет Цивилизации с начала времен и современными лидерами - не нужны они там...
I agree with helpcomputer0 about Civilization from the beginning of time and modern leaders - don't need them there...
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Civs rule from day 1 has been only deceased leaders (and not too recently either) make the cut, like people who are allowed to appear on UK bank notes :)

I think Roosevelt, Stalin, DeGaulle, Mao, Gandhi and Churchill were the most "modern" leaders they had in Civ 4 anyway.

Real life leaders may cause political tension as well especially Putin and Trump.

Don't put Thatcher in either unless her special ability is destroying mines and workers :)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:17 am Real life leaders may cause political tension as well especially Putin and Trump.
Whether you see President Trump as a hero or a villain, he definitely needs to be included. As a Trump fan, I don't mind if he's portrayed as a villain, because it's only fiction. As for Putin, however, that could be deeply upsetting for Ukranians, so maybe ask some Ukranians how they feel?
helpcomputer0
Microbot

Post by helpcomputer0 »

I'll play whatever Andrew decides to make, but I think it's important to be clear on whether this is a remake of Civ or something else.

Including modern leaders that weren't in Civ indicates it's not a remake IMO.

Just to be clear I don't care about the political reasoning either way, but I know some do and that's fine.
Mad Fritz
Dizzy

Post by Mad Fritz »

Lee Bee wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:27 am Whether you see President Trump as a hero or a villain, he definitely needs to be included. As a Trump fan, I don't mind if he's portrayed as a villain, because it's only fiction. As for Putin, however, that could be deeply upsetting for Ukranians, so maybe ask some Ukranians how they feel?
And thats exactly why real life leaders should not be includet :!:
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I don't think anyone has a general problem with real-life leaders appearing in games. Split Personalities, for example, features Thatcher and Reagan, but it didn't offend anyone. But those leaders didn't lead a physical war causing personal grief and trauma. That's why I feel Mr Putin is a more sensitive issue.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

There's a big difference between satire (which Splitting Images/Split Personalities was since it was obvs based on Spitting Image) and playing as or against real life, currently alive people, who could have any number of scandals unearthed against them in the next week anyway (which is the main reason they don't allow living people on UK banknotes I think). Not hinting at Trump or anyone of course.

Obvs the Monarch is allowed on banknotes since any scandals would be hushed up ;)

The Times crossword also has the same rule (no names of people currently alive, except the reigning monarch) :)

I prefer the Guardian crossword which once had answers like these
t would be remiss not to mention now that Paul can also be deeply rude. Sometimes the rudeness is right there in the clue; other times you might miss it, such as the puzzle with answers including HORSEMEN, WIDOW TWANKEY, CHARDONNAY, SCUNTHORPE, HOT WATER and, well, MISHIT. Has having become a father and the subsequent years of contact with bodily fluids made him more or less prone to this kind of thing?
Mad Fritz
Dizzy

Post by Mad Fritz »

I wouldnt mind if Civ would be a FPS :D
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

helpcomputer0 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:02 pm I'm glad you're still working on it!

I'm not going to make modern leader portraits, it's not really Civ to me with all modern leaders. I hope you can use the ones I've made.

If you decide not to use the original leader portraits I made then I request that you don't use the loading screen I made either, as it wouldn't be a remake of Civilization. I hope you understand.
Ok, then we’ll do classics, like Sid Meier’s, portraits of past centuries. I’ll leave modding with modern leaders for later :lol:
Xela wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:03 am Построить колонистов, галеру и библиотеку в одном меню... логически как-то странно. в оригинальной Циве так же было?

Civilopedia - по нажатию на топик будет открываться отдельная статья, или это итоговый вид Цивилопедии? Режит глаз такое впихвание в одну строку максимума информации - где-то пробелы отсутствуют, где-то знаки препинания и пр..

По игре, точнее по приказам: - это помощь по кнопкам, или возможность отдавать приказы только через меню? если через меню, то это долго и не удобно, нужны горячие главиши для приказов, и желательна возможность их переназначить, например: W - север, X - юг, A - запад, D - восток, и тогда: Q - северо-запад, C - юго-восток, и т.д.

---------------------------------------

Build Colonists, Galley, and Library in the same menu.... logically it's kind of weird. Was it the same way in the original Civ?

Civilopedia - will clicking on a topic open a separate article, or is this the final view of Civilopedia? The eye hurts when shoving in one line of maximum information - somewhere spaces are missing, somewhere punctuation marks, etc...

About Game, more precisely About Orders: - is this help on the buttons, or the option to give orders only through the menu? If only through the menu, it is long and not convenient, need hotkeys for orders, and it is desirable the ability to redefine them, for example, W - north, X - south, A - west, D - east, and then: Q - north-west, C - south-east, etc.

p.s. согласен с helpcomputer0 насчет Цивилизации с начала времен и современными лидерами - не нужны они там...
I agree with helpcomputer0 about Civilization from the beginning of time and modern leaders - don't need them there...
Ты играл в Цивилизацию 1 под DOS?
В городе всегда выбираешь и строишь что-то одно из общего списка - либо юнит, либо здание.
Приказы - это помощь по кнопкам всего лишь. А некоторые указанные тобой клавиши уже заняты под другие команды, поэтому сделал стандартные QAOP + 12345678
Цивилопедия будет однострочной, иначе места не хватит для 48к. Над знаками препинания еще поработаю.

----------

Have you played Civilization 1 for DOS?
In the city you always choose and build one thing from the general list - either a unit or a building.
Orders are just help with buttons. And some of the keys you indicated are already occupied by other commands, so I made standard QAOP + 12345678
The Civilopedia will be one-line, otherwise there won't be enough space for 48k. I'll still work on the punctuation marks.

Mad Fritz wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:07 pm I wouldnt mind if Civ would be a FPS :D
It would be a super hit in a new genre)
I once thought that the Age of Empires was Civilization in the form of a real-time strategy, but for some reason they made unrealistic things like magic there
helpcomputer0
Microbot

Post by helpcomputer0 »

Andrew771 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:38 pm Ok, then we’ll do classics, like Sid Meier’s, portraits of past centuries. I’ll leave modding with modern leaders for later :lol:
Sounds good!

Let me know if you need any other graphics, tiles, interface, etc and I'll make them.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Is it going to be a direct conversion of Civ1 mechanics (not that they are particularly bad).

But spearman vs. battleship or tank was a bit of an issue when the spearman won ;) At least Civ4 had combat rounds and unit HP (i.e. they didn't fully heal after the end of a battle if they were still alive) which made it a bit less random.

AI might be tricky - I still think Civ4 had one of the best AIs ever (not that it was groundbreaking or they were good - they just cheated on higher levels lol) but what made it stand out was that the AI leaders actually had (somewhat) predictable personalities... Montezuma was a psycho who would declare war on you all the time, even when it was cavalry vs. tanks late game, Hatshepsut was usually nice and friendly (except for that one time she nuked me - first AI ever to do that lol), Mansa Musa was a tech whore, Shaka was aggressive but also teched quite well, Tokugawa was a dick, Elizabeth was nice but a tech/army monster, Isabella was lovely if you had same religion and always hated you if you weren't etc.

Gandhi was always piled on and dead before he could get his nukes of course :)
Sitting Bull poisoning your water supply every 5 minutes even when he said he was your friend got a bit much though lol.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Lee Bee wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:27 amWhether you see President Trump as a hero or a villain, he definitely needs to be included.
In a remake of a 1991 game?
As a Trump fan, I don't mind if he's portrayed as a villain, because it's only fiction.
*backs away slowly*