Artillero game (MIA) by Cesar Hernandez Baño

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Artillero game (MIA) by Cesar Hernandez Baño

Post by Neil Parsons »

Hi, people.

Just to say some time ago I found a .tzx file of this videogame created by Cesar Hernandez Baño (author of ZEsaUX emulator) from a bunch of files Jose Manuel Claros (El Trastero del Spectrum) sent me for my personal preservation of ZX Spectrum BASIC programs at Proyecto BASIC ZX. I don't remember it quite well, but I can think Cesar gratefully sent it to me.

Game profile: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=25288

It was marked as MIA at World Of Spectrum Infoseek and TZX is not available at SC entry, but luckily it was found and available from my blog, just going into here or downloading it from here.

I'm actually working in the preservation of so many type-ins published on Spanish magazines of 80s decade (Microhobby, ZX, Todospectrum and much more), so feel free to add to SC archive any other programs you find around my blog that weren't added before in other sites.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Artillero game (MIA) by Cesar Hernandez Baño

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Neil Parsons[/mention]

Thank you for your working in preserving these titles. We will get anything missing added to ZXDB.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Neil Parsons wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:18 pm Just to say some time ago I found a .tzx file of this videogame created by Cesar Hernandez Baño (author of ZEsaUX emulator) from a bunch of files Jose Manuel Claros (El Trastero del Spectrum) sent me for my personal preservation of ZX Spectrum BASIC programs at Proyecto BASIC ZX.
Ta Neil, I'm adding Artillero to the spreadsheet ready for the next update.
I'm actually working in the preservation of so many type-ins published on Spanish magazines of 80s decade (Microhobby, ZX, Todospectrum and much more), so feel free to add to SC archive any other programs you find around my blog that weren't added before in other sites.
Wow, amazing work! It looks like there is a LOT of new information for ZXDB and files that can be added.

This is a big job that I don't have time for at the moment. If someone else wants to volunteer and pick a letter perhaps then please shout out here.

Summary: lots of missing stuff here: https://proyectobasiczx.wordpress.com/otros/a-c/
Task - get files not available, take screenshots, which have ZXDB IDs?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Neil Parsons wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:18 pm I'm actually working in the preservation of so many type-ins published on Spanish magazines of 80s decade (Microhobby, ZX, Todospectrum and much more), so feel free to add to SC archive any other programs you find around my blog that weren't added before in other sites.
I'm disappointed I couldn't contribute with that effort. I'm sure I have a lot of games typed from ZX/Todospectrum, but they are mixed with other publications, and I tried to search for them a couple of times, without success.

If I try again, do you have an idea of what magazines and numbers you need?
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

druellan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:36 pmI'm disappointed I couldn't contribute with that effort. I'm sure I have a lot of games typed from ZX/Todospectrum, but they are mixed with other publications, and I tried to search for them a couple of times, without success.

If I try again, do you have an idea of what magazines and numbers you need?
All type-ins from Todospectrum magazine have been preserved in the same blog. There's an opening menu window if you move cursor over "Revistas" and "Otros programas" at the top of the page. Every option lead to another continued section (following issues and so on)

For better use, I put links for most of these magazines, the known ones, here and corresponding preservation status:

Amstrad Sinclair Ocio - INCOMPLETE (Some type-ins still to be preserved. A task I have to do later)
Input Sinclair - COMPLETE
Microhobby - COMPLETE
Mundo Spectrum - INCOMPLETE (Issue 4 STP)
Todospectrum - COMPLETE
Type and Run - INCOMPLETE (Take care with some of them as they are translated copies from Winning Games for the ZX Spectrum book)
ZX - INCOMPLETE (Still working with this magazine at this moment, actually totally available until Issue 37) (Also, in the first eight issues of this magazine there were published translated type-ins taken from different UK magazines and books, forementioned in every case)

About rest of publications:

"48k" by Monser - STP
"El Ordenador Personal" - STP (If only interested in ZX Spectrum, I'd work with them as soon as possible. Rest of type-ins for different machines... meh... xDDDD)
"Conocer" - All possible listings available in one single archive.
"Micromanía (Doña Tecla)" - COMPLETE (Note: There's one program called Bananas that's impossible to fix unless I tried, as it was wrongly printed in the magazine - missing UDGs mainly)
"Tu Micro" - STP (The same as with El Ordenador Personal. Moreover, some programs are just available)
"Super Juegos Para Todos" - INCOMPLETE (There are some ZX Spectrum type-ins available but two more have to be copied next)

It's a very big lot of work to do with all of them, IMHO...
Last edited by Neil Parsons on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 amThis is a big job that I don't have time for at the moment. If someone else wants to volunteer and pick a letter perhaps then please shout out here.

Summary: lots of missing stuff here: https://proyectobasiczx.wordpress.com/otros/a-c/
Task - get files not available, take screenshots, which have ZXDB IDs?
I know this will be very hard for one single man, but I hope more users collaborate in this task (even if they are from Spain). In the meantime, I can say there are some other programs from 'Otros Programas' section that may be available at SC and WOS archives with same, similar or different name (for example, there are two "Frogger" programs linked to WOS, just for comparison). This may be the hardest work because it would require to check everyone of them with what is actually preserved, just to prevent of possible duplicated entries. If something found from my archive and this concrete section seems to be in doubt, contact me anytime and I'll try to answer the best I can.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Neil Parsons wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:04 pm ZX - INCOMPLETE (Still working with this magazine at this moment, actually totally available until Issue 37)
Yeah, that was the one I'm pretty sure we have many programs typed-in, but I tried a couple of times locate some of them and failed. I'm going to try again on issue 38 and up.
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Uh... from a previous entry of mine in this thread...

"Micromanía (Doña Tecla)" - COMPLETE (Note: There's one program called Bananas that DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY and it's impossible to fix unless I tried, as it was wrongly printed in the magazine - missing UDGs mainly)
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Oh I hadn’t seen that thread!
Yes, artillero is not a MIA. I have the original tapes as well as tap and tzx files. I reported some years ago to the SPA web page but they haven’t fixed it yet
Thanks Neil Parsons to report it :)

Cheers
Cesar
jpablo
Drutt

Post by jpablo »

Hi César (and all)!

Absolutely right. I owe you a BIG apologise. I'm very sorry...

It's a happy coincidence however that I fixed the SPA2 admin panel just two days ago - it had been broken for quite a long time! As a result, I can update the archive and upload stuff again. Your message -which I stumbled upon by chance- was the perfect excuse to put your long dued files online.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,
Juan
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Hi, [mention]jpablo[/mention] , very nice to see the great SPA2 web is working again! (slowly but strongly! :) )

For those who don't know it, it's a great Spectrum archive of almost every game coded and/or published in Spain (game files and spanish inlays & instructions).

It would be great if Spectrum Computing could include all the SPA2 updates!
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

[mention]jpablo[/mention] !!! So nice to hear from you! I am really happy to see that SPA2 is planning to resume!! :)

And I even missed the last updates, one of them was even dedicated to me!!! :o Thanks!!
jpablo
Drutt

Post by jpablo »

Hello!

Thanks Iván and Juan F. Ramírez for your kind words!
That would be great indeed. I'd be happy to establish some kind of interchange format / API or whatever so that they could take the information need to populate ZXDB accordingly. I'm not at that point now, really, since I do not consider the current state of the SPA2 database as stable - we're getting there but... it's just a matter of time. Anyway, that's something I'd really like to talk about sometime in the near future.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

jpablo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm
That would be great indeed. I'd be happy to establish some kind of interchange format / API or whatever so that they could take the information need to populate ZXDB accordingly. I'm not at that point now, really, since I do not consider the current state of the SPA2 database as stable - we're getting there but... it's just a matter of time. Anyway, that's something I'd really like to talk about sometime in the near future.
Awesome!!!

Would you consider to merge ZXDB and SPA2 databases? There's probably content (information and files) in SPA2 that's not stored in ZXDB and vice-versa, thus merging content would benefit both. Afterwards we could join our forces to update a single database instead of duplicating efforts.

One option is, we could store all data into the current ZXDB structure, but create database views that mimic the current SPA2 tables, filtering only Spanish content. This way, all content management could be done using our new administration tools, and any additions to ZXDB would become immediately available at the SPA2 website.

There are obviously other options. Please let me know whenever you are ready to talk about it, I'm sure we can come out with a good solution to make everybody happy :)
jpablo
Drutt

Post by jpablo »

Hi Einar!

Thanks for your kind reply!

I need some time to get a clear picture of what's the best solution to keep SPA2 maintenance as simple as possible while our data is fluidly synced. Some data in the SPA2 DB is never going to be integrated into ZXDB -not that I don't want to (the more, the better!), it's simply that I know it falls outside of the ZXDB scope. However it's information that will be queried from SPA2 under certain circumstances and that is strongly linked with entries, labels and other relevant entities.

I'm starting to play around with ZXDB and ZX-Ed. I feel absolutely open to new ideas, but before opening the discussion, I'd like to make my mind clear and work out an initial proposal we can start from. That may take me some weeks or even months, but as soon as I feel confident enough, I'll drop you an e-mail. Does that sound ok to you?

Keep up the good work :)
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

jpablo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 am Hi César (and all)!

Absolutely right. I owe you a BIG apologise. I'm very sorry...

It's a happy coincidence however that I fixed the SPA2 admin panel just two days ago - it had been broken for quite a long time! As a result, I can update the archive and upload stuff again. Your message -which I stumbled upon by chance- was the perfect excuse to put your long dued files online.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,
Juan
Hi Juan
Don't worry. I know you have been busy and we talked about this in the past :)

All the software I developed for the Speccy in the past is included in the ZEsarUX repo:
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux ... um/vintage

Including Artillero, of course! :)

Update: I've just seen the apology about Artillero in the SPA2 web page. It wasn't necessary to do that! ;)

Cheers
Cesar
jpablo
Drutt

Post by jpablo »

Hi César!
chernandezba wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:17 pm Don't worry. I know you have been busy and we talked about this in the past :)
Yep, but I should have uploaded it last spring, however!
chernandezba wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:17 pm All the software I developed for the Speccy in the past is included in the ZEsarUX repo:
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux ... um/vintage
Thanks for the pointer! I will have a look on these sometime later - I downloaded the whole lot and kept the repo address for checking future commits.

Cheers,
Juan