Moderator Action

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Moderator Action

Post by R-Tape »

Okay let's get this over with.

We've decided to close MrPixel's account. After a LOT of effort (on the forum and behind the scenes) it's become clear that we're not going to be able to help him with his posts, which are at best spamming the forum. If you disagree and want to cherry pick from his most recent ones please be aware that some are deleted and you aren't getting the full picture.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Moderator Action

Post by Ralf »

Well, as you say we don't have the full picture.

Personally I've always felt we should give Mr Pixel a chance. Yes, he was at moments annoying but he seemed genuinely interested in Zx Spectrum, which is not so common nowadays among people 20 years old.

I suppose writing a bit more about the reasons would be good. We are trying to be a nice, open community here, right? ;)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I've only seen the picture shown on the forum and in my opinion it's enough to justify this action. Mr Pixel was given numerous chances. Peter and R-Tape demonstrated Herculean levels of patience calmly replying to his posts which were then ignored repeatedly. I would even go as far to say that some of his posts like the Skyrim and Jesus Christ Monster Killer threads were trolling.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

I sympathize with the difficulty you had to face in deleting Mr Pixel. I've just had to do the same on my message board to a man I've known for many years. He always had a different point of view to myself but now it seems he's gone round the bend!

I always found something inconsistent with the image Mr Pixel projected. One minute he's asking a question that suggests he barely knows how to load a tape. The next he talks about writing a Spectrum sized version of Skyrim! Whatever or whoever he really is I seriously doubt he's 20 unless cognitively challenged. More likely he's a troll probably well known under another alias who has been kicked off other forums.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

One minute he's asking a question that suggests he barely knows how to load a tape. The next he talks about writing a Spectrum sized version of Skyrim!
Actually both these things prove being a beginner in Zx Spectrum world ;) Nobody with a minimal experience would start to write Skyrim in Basic on some old 8-bit computer that he doesn't really know.

I believe it's quite common among teenagers and a bit older guys to make such big and unrealistic plans. An excited guy with no experience appears on some forum and announces he will do alone some megagame better than Doom, Quake, World of Warcraft or whatever big hit is fashionable at the moment. And yes, in 99% of cases nothing comes of it. Actually through all these years I became quite good at predicting if a person announcing a game has actual chance to create something or is just a dreamer and a babbler.

Is it trolling? Dunno. When I was younger "troll" meant someone writing provacative posts to infuriate others and have evil fun of them this way. I Today "trolling" changed meaning and became very blurry. You can call call troll anyone - hater, spammer, your opponent, someone spreading his ideas or just a guy that you don't like.

But okay, I don't want to make any big discussion of it. I trust our moderators, even if I don't know the details behind their actions.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Ralf wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:38 pm I believe it's quite common among teenagers and a bit older guys to make such big and unrealistic plans. An excited guy with no experience appears on some forum and announces he will do alone some megagame better than Doom, Quake, World of Warcraft or whatever big hit is fashionable at the moment. And yes, in 99% of cases nothing comes of it. Actually through all these years I became quite good at predicting if a person announcing a game has actual chance to create something or is just a dreamer and a babbler.
Indeed. Ambition far exceeding experience is not uncommon, even people who are reasonably experienced developers but haven't ever really touched 8-bit coding often come in with ideas that not only exceed the capabilities of the hardware but also their own ability to maximise it. You can get a kind of inate sense for the overambitious after a while.

Now that alone shouldn't be a reason to remove someone, but combined with too much time and a tendency to take a scattergun approach to posting can certainly end up having a disruptive effect, whether entirely intentional or not. I think the moderators here have made the sensible, if unfortunate, choice and I appreciate their transparency in the matter.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

As I said before, this is not the first, and there will be no last attempt to bring wos anarchy to this forum.
I fully support this kind of moderator action now and in the future, this forum is not a place for such trolling exibitions.