FUSE error: "Couldn't play sound"

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
madaxe
Drutt

FUSE error: "Couldn't play sound"

Post by madaxe »

Recently when I run Fuse for Windows I always get this message: "Couldn't play sound" and the Sound Enabled Option on Options menu is unchecked. Then I check the Sound Enabled Option and I get sound but after a while I get the same error message and the sound is desabled again.
I already uninstalled FUSE and install it again but the behavior is the same. I found out that when the running program tries to load from tape I get the error. It is more common in 128k mode than in 48k mode.
Any idea to get this problem resolved?

Thanks in advance,
José.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: FUSE error: "Couldn't play sound"

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @madaxe,

Is this something new, or has it always happened? Have you added or removed any hardware?

Do you have any hardware attached, or other software applications which may have sole control over sound devices. Can you play audio through your web browser and other software? Stereo Mix has caused me issues in the past (not specifically with Fuse).

You could try and right click on the Fuse executable first, and choose run as administrator. It may be worth trying the portable version too.

There is a place for reporting bugs on the Sourceforge project page, but it doesn't look like it's been looked at for a long while.

@pak21 and @Fred (the developers) are members here but have not logged in for ages.

@Guesser may have some suggestions.
madaxe
Drutt

Post by madaxe »

Hi @PeterJ
Thanks for your help.

This is something new, never happened before and I use FUSE for about 8 years. All other apps including other emulators like FUSE for Linux (under WSL) work perfectly with good sound.

I didn't change my hardware. I don't know if this is relevant but before this happened I was using SimCoupé and I was running Sabrina Demo from The Lords. Then I quit SimCoupé and ran FUSE to compare both versions of the demo but I got the "Couldn't play sound" error.

I get the error even run Fuse as administrator.
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

Stop the “audiodg.exe” service via Task Manager
madaxe
Drutt

Post by madaxe »

Spezzi63 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:32 pm Stop the “audiodg.exe” service via Task Manager
I don't have audiodg.exe service running but the stranger is when another app that uses sound (like an emulator or winamp) is running, FUSE starts fine without that error message.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@madaxe,

This is indeed very strange. I'm not sure it will make any difference, but you could delete or rename (if you want to save it) your config file. If you are using Windows you will find the file here (delete or move it with Fuse closed). This file is not removed when you uninstall Fuse (As far as I know).

Code: Select all

\Users\UserName\fuse.cfg
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

I've had a similar problem on a Windows 10 laptop and could only fix it by right clicking on the loudspeaker icon on the taskbar and selecting "Troubleshoot sound problems" and eventually re-installing the current sound driver through the options in there
madaxe
Drutt

Post by madaxe »

textvoyage wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:51 pm I've had a similar problem on a Windows 10 laptop and could only fix it by right clicking on the loudspeaker icon on the taskbar and selecting "Troubleshoot sound problems" and eventually re-installing the current sound driver through the options in there
It works :) Thank you @textvoyage .