Worst compilation tape ever

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Worst compilation tape ever

Post by SkoolKid »

As part of the ongoing t2sfiles project I've recently been looking at compilation titles. So far, one in particular has caught my attention for its crapness: Bumper Pack 4.

Now, it's crap not necessarily because of the quality of the games it contains, but because most of the programs on the tape don't even RUN: they either do nothing or give an error. According to the remarks, Bumper Pack 4 contains "40 great games", but I could only get 9 of them working.

What on earth happened here? The quality of the contents of Bumper Pack 4 also seems to be a step down from the earlier Bumper Packs 1, 2 and 3 (which were box sets, not merely compilations).

Finally, the tapes in BumperPack4.tzx.zip are named thus:
  • Bumper Pack 50 - Side 1.tzx
  • Bumper Pack 50 - Side 2.tzx
Are they even the right tapes for this title?
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Re: Worst compilation tape ever

Post by StooB »

SkoolKid wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:05 pm Finally, the tapes in BumperPack4.tzx.zip are named thus:
  • Bumper Pack 50 - Side 1.tzx
  • Bumper Pack 50 - Side 2.tzx
Are they even the right tapes for this title?
Those tape images are from somewhere else.

The "40 great games" comes from the advert but the advert is for all the bumper packs. So there are 40 games overall available in all the different bumper packs across all 3 platforms. The "2 for only £9.99" wouldn't make sense if it was a single compilation with 40 games on.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

StooB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:49 am Those tape images are from somewhere else.
Yep, makes sense. Bumper Pack 4 should be marked as MIA, like Bumper Packs 1-3.

So where do those tapes (Bumper Pack 50 - Side 1/2) actually come from?
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I always wanted this, just for the sake of it...
Spoiler
Image[/url]
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

SkoolKid wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:09 pm So where do those tapes (Bumper Pack 50 - Side 1/2) actually come from?
I think it's just somebody's tape that they saved type-ins on. There's Time-A-Climber and River Navigation from Popular Computing Weekly, Rainbow from Sinclair Programs, Diver from Sinclair User and Mult from Personal Computer News.