Sinclair TV80

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Sinclair TV80

Post by Oloturia »

In a second hand flea market I found this beauty.

The CRT seems faulty, it projects a deformed image. There are no analog channels available anyway, perhaps it could be connected to a digital receiver, somehow.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: Sinclair TV80

Post by spider »

Good find! :)

Usual caveats about CRT safety. It might be small but it will still potentially pack a potentially nasty punch (as will capacitors)

Regarding input, well I suppose there's the option of using the Spectrums RF out straight in -if- that TV has an external antenna/aerial socket.

I suspect it would not be hard to hardwire a socket into the tuner area to accept composite video but I'm taking a wild guess on this.

Regarding the image output as it is, its a bit beyond my area sorry. It could I suppose be dislodged deflection coils, a fault on the amplifier or merely in need of a H or V adjustment.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Yeah, I prefer not to fix it by myself because of my clumsiness and fear of electric shock (the label says that some components goes up to 2400 Volts!).

Anyway it turns on and it's possible to hear two or three radio stations, how weird.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

I had a photo of mine connected to my ZX somewhere :cry:
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

I heard that you could touch the tip of a Speccy RF lead to the aerial, and it would give a passable picture. Obviously not if you’ve done the composite mod.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Seven.FFF wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:35 pm I heard that you could touch the tip of a Speccy RF lead to the aerial, and it would give a passable picture. Obviously not if you’ve done the composite mod.
Yeah, that's all I did :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Playing Spectrum games on a real Spectrum with that TV must be the 'final level' for any Spectrum fan
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:58 pm Playing Spectrum games on a real Spectrum with that TV must be the 'final level' for any Spectrum fan
As there are no analogue TV signals, this was my "solution" to test that my TV80 and MTV1 were functinal - the Sinclair Research text is minute