How to load and run these 128K games?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

How to load and run these 128K games?

Post by SkoolKid »

In the FTR (fails to run after loading) list of the t2sfiles project are the following 48K/128K games that I haven't been able to get working in 128K mode:
Is there a trick to getting these to work on a 128K Spectrum? Some of them work when loaded in +2A mode, but for the purposes of the t2sfiles project, that doesn't count as '128K'. The emulators I use are Fuse and ZEsarUX on Linux. Perhaps these games run correctly in 128K mode on other emulators?
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: How to load and run these 128K games?

Post by AndyC »

Bear in mind that not all "128K" games will run on the original 128 and grey +2. Especially later games when testing was most likely done on a +2A. I distinctly remember RoboCop 3 being one of them.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

AndyC wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:28 pm Bear in mind that not all "128K" games will run on the original 128 and grey +2. Especially later games when testing was most likely done on a +2A. I distinctly remember RoboCop 3 being one of them.
I wonder if there is a simple cookbook how to secure compatibility across all 128K models. I'm aware of slow/fast pages problem but are there any other issues ?
Proud owner of Didaktik M
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

AndyC wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:28 pm Bear in mind that not all "128K" games will run on the original 128 and grey +2.
Yeah, that seems to be what's going on here. If I can get confirmation of that for any of these titles, I'll recategorise them as NTA (no tape available - for original 128K, that is).
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

catmeows wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:03 pm I wonder if there is a simple cookbook how to secure compatibility across all 128K models. I'm aware of slow/fast pages problem but are there any other issues ?
A few, yes. There are a couple of places (including my own; see signature) that maintain a collection of fixes that improve (or restore) compatibility across all 128K models. Sometimes a fix is trivial, but more often than not it can be pretty involved. Memory contention in and of itself isn’t normally a show-stopper (although it might cause some sound issues). Misdirected interrupt vectors, the floating bus, and the differences in ROM contents can cause far more serious issues.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

There is also such trick as "USR 0 mode" when it comes to 128 kB Spectrums

It wasn't very common in commercial UK games but you'll need it much more in demoscene and
programs from Eastern Europe.

See this thread for example: viewtopic.php?t=4697