Just who was Matt Jackson?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Just who was Matt Jackson?

Post by StanVanman »

Give or take four days, it's exactly four years since the incredible Astro Blaster appeared from nowhere:

There'd been no warning, no previews, there wasn't even an announcement or a web page to download it from. It just sprang fully-formed from someone nobody had heard of before or since and showed up on a couple of Speccy sites, and instantly leapt into the pantheon of the machine's all-time greats.

As far as I know nobody's ever spoken to "Matt Jackson" (well, I'm sure they have but not publicly), and after such a triumph of coding he seems to have vanished back into total obscurity without ever trying his hand at something else. Isn't anyone curious?
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: Just who was Matt Jackson?

Post by TMD2003 »

Matt Jackson? Last I heard he was a defender for Everton in the mid-1990s - part of the team that won the FA Cup in 1995, which (other than the Charity Shield the following season which nobody cares about) was the last time Everton put a trophy in the cabinet.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

If I ever complete my current "todo" list of emulator-related stuff, I'd love to do a .pok patch to add Fuller Orator speech to this fab conversion.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

StanVanman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:16 pm Give or take four days, it's exactly four years since the incredible Astro Blaster appeared from nowhere:
Well, it can't be both "Give or take four days" and "exactly four years" at the same time :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

StanVanman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:16 pm Isn't anyone curious?
I certainly was and am. He's not anonymous, as he gave permission via @Stefan for us to host the game via FB at the time. He may be very active on there for all I know.

Assuming it is a first Speccy game, it's a masterclass in every aspect. Bloody sickening!
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

It's a retro scene, populated mainly by blokes in their forties and fifties, who lived most of their lives before it became normal for people to give a running commentary about everything they do on the internet.
There are plenty of things on the scene that appear like this, just that this is a particularly good/notable one - IMO. I have a couple of creative hobbies without any related activity in internet forums / social media.
Agree though, it would be interesting to know a bit of background.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

Inky wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:07 pm If I ever complete my current "todo" list of emulator-related stuff, I'd love to do a .pok patch to add Fuller Orator speech to this fab conversion.
Yeah, aren't you meant to be finishing Timeblasters before Christmas? :lol:
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

StanVanman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:13 pm Yeah, aren't you meant to be finishing Timeblasters before Christmas? :lol:
Oh *that*? Christmas which year? :D Yeah, I'll be back on it as soon as the next Inkspector release and docs are done.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

Inky wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:44 am Oh *that*? Christmas which year? :D Yeah, I'll be back on it as soon as the next Inkspector release and docs are done.
That's what you ALWAYS say :lol:
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

StanVanman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:12 am That's what you ALWAYS say :lol:
Nah, "docs" is a new innovation for delaying stuff 8-)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Love Astro Blaster. Amazing game.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

No great mystery - He's active on Facebook, working on a Defender clone, he replied to me about a month ago but haven't had any updates since then.

https://www.facebook.com/Cruithne3753