Just for fun - what are the ZX Spectrum equivalents of these famous post-8-bit games?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Just for fun - what are the ZX Spectrum equivalents of these famous post-8-bit games?

Post by PeteProdge »

Whether it's from the Speccy's commercial era or a homebrew game, what do you think would be the closest to these games from today, the recent past and other post-8-bit eras? (And yes, take it as read that sequels are included in this, some of these are long-running franchises of course.)
  • FIFA 'YY
  • Call Of Duty
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Minecraft
  • Fortnite
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Madden
  • Farming Simulator
  • Mario Kart
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Silent Hill
  • The Legend Of Zelda
  • WWE 'YY
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
  • Pokemon
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Super Mario Bros
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Castlevania
  • The Legend Of Zelda
  • Portal
  • Resident Evil
  • Borderlands
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • The Sims
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Guitar Hero
  • Halo
  • Just Dance/Dance Dance Revolution
  • Wipeout
  • Final Fantasy
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Tomb Raider
  • Gran Turismo
  • Streets Of Rage
  • Duke Nukem
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Wii Sports
  • Monkey Island
  • Leisure Suit Larry
  • Parappa The Rapper
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Zool
  • Quake
  • Star Fox/Starwing
(And yeah homebrew knock-offs of any of the above definitely count!)

Anyway, I'm bagsying Grand Theft Auto as coming from Turbo Esprit (if you play it the 'wrong' way). That's a really obvious one, but hey, when there's low hanging fruit around, I'll pick it!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Re: Just for fun - what are the ZX Spectrum equivalents of these famous post-8-bit games?

Post by GreenCard »

Grand Theft Auto: Turbo Esprit
Red Dead Redemption: The Wild Bunch
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Re: Just for fun - what are the ZX Spectrum equivalents of these famous post-8-bit games?

Post by Pobulous »

Spirit's Formula One had a crappy plastic steering wheel, just like Mario Kart Wii. :lol:
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Tony Hawk Pro Skater: While 720 would be the obvious choice, I'd go for Skate Crazy. Specifically the car park mode, not so much the actual side-scrolling main game.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Could maybe have started with a shorter list!
  • FIFA 'YY
    Plenty of footie games out there. None that seem to turn up endlessly again and again, although wasn't there one game that got re-hashed and re-branded?
  • Call Of Duty
    - Into the Eagle's Nest
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    - 720°
  • Castlevania
    - Underwurlde
  • Resident Evil
    - The Haunting of Waterbelle End !!!
  • Star Fox/Starwing
    - Starglider
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Joefish wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:36 pm Could maybe have started with a shorter list!
I too hate that there are too many post-ZX-Spectrum games out there. I mean, apart from Streets Of Rage, Mario Kart and Grand Theft Auto, you don't really need any more.
Joefish wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:36 pm [*]FIFA 'YY
Plenty of footie games out there. None that seem to turn up endlessly again and again, although wasn't there one game that got re-hashed and re-branded?
Artic's World Cup Carnival was the one rebranded by US Gold for the 1986 World Cup. ChinnyVision has just released a video about it.

My pick for this would be Emlyn Hughes's International Soccer, which is the BEST football game on the ZX Spectrum and kind of aligns with the view you get in FIFA. And is likely better than FIFA, although the amount of teams is obviously much much smaller, which I admit, is a small drawback.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Tomb Raider - I of the Mask

Not the plot, but the visual thing, that's what I've always thought I of the Mask is very innovative. A pity that's a dull game.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Also:

Splinter Cell - Saboteur
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Minecraft - Zombie Zombie.

Portal - one of the subgames in FGTH
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

• FIFA 'YY - Any football game should do.
  • Call Of Duty - RAM / Green Beret. Both are modern soldier arcades.
  • Red Dead Redemption - Desperado.
  • Farming Simulator - Lawn Mower Simulator.
  • Mario Kart - Power Drift.
  • Super Smash Bros - IK+.
  • WWE 'YY - There was a WWF game already.
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - 720º / Skate or die.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - Paranoia, maybe?
  • The Sims - Little Computer People, obviously.
  • Wipeout - S.T.U.N. Runner.
  • Tomb Raider - Panama Joe.
  • Streets Of Rage - Renegade (another obvious option).
  • Duke Nukem - Joe Blade.
  • Star Fox/Starwing - 3D Starstrike.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Football Manager 24 would have to be… Football Manager Revisitied (although I think the last update was for the 2022-23 season)

Starfox would be … Starfox

There was a rumour that Starfox was called Starwing in the UK/Europe because of that game, although there was also another story about it sounding too similar to a German company called StarVox. I prefer the Spectrum version of the story.