The Agorers (The Doomsayers)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

The Agorers (The Doomsayers)

Post by Andre Leao »

Released...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... ayers.html

PROCESSED
DH 14/11/23
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: The Agorers (The Doomsayers)

Post by Ralf »

Wow, it's a beatemup game! Such attempts are quite rare and always earn my respect.

To be honest, it's a bad. And probably could be made better really cheaply - custom font, some better background graphics,
flicker reduction.

But it still has my respect :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:18 pm To be honest, it's a bad.
It plays a lot better than I was expecting. Ignoring the graphics and flicker, it's redolent of Renegade (as intended I suppose), and while it has fewer moves, I probably relied on the flying kick a bit less here!
And probably could be made better really cheaply - custom font, some better background graphics,
flicker reduction.
Totally agree. The author intended this as much as a polemic as a beatemup, but it looks like the hard parts of the coding are already done, so just a bit of polish would really get it noticed.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:12 pm It plays a lot better than I was expecting.
Nope, controls are horrible. Otherwise it could be quite fun.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

catmeows wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:19 pm Nope, controls are horrible. Otherwise it could be quite fun.
What don't you like? Too fast? I find the keys responsive at least.

One thing I did like about the speed is that when you get 'stuck' after a hit, or fall down, you are back up quickly.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:22 pm What don't you like? Too fast? I find the keys responsive at least.
Both jump and back punch are unreliable. More often I end up with forward punch than intended move.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

Got some gameplay up here, and I managed to get quite far into this, although I don't know how many levels there are. I wish game descriptions would say. However, at the very start, I put in a cool moment where I pulled off a great flying kick and floored EVERYONE! This also happens a couple other times during the gameplay.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DVDfever wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:59 am I put in a cool moment where I pulled off a great flying kick and floored EVERYONE!
I've yet to use it in anger, but thanks to Speccy beatemups, I feel safer on the streets knowing how effective a flying kick is against a marauding gang.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Andre Leao wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:37 am
Anyone know who these two are supposed to be? It's like an off-brand Bottom.

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Well, Renegade it ain't, but any game which lets me pounce on an INFLUENCER is okay with me.