Why no Puzzle Bobble port for Spectrum?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Bolton80
Microbot

Why no Puzzle Bobble port for Spectrum?

Post by Bolton80 »

Correct me if I've missed it, but as far as I know, no-one has attempted a homebrew port of Puzzle Bobble yet. The C64 and even the CPC have good versions now.

Wonder why no one's done it yet? I can't imagine colour clash would be a problem, since the bubbles are in a grid pattern.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Re: Why no Puzzle Bobble port for Spectrum?

Post by hikoki »

You can play Cannon Bubble
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Yeah, it's not particularly hard to port it. I still have a prototype lying somewhere.

But I just didn't wanted to do another clone after I noticed someone else already done it.

I might change my mind though after these many years, but only when I have more time than I have now.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yes, colour clash may be a problem here but Cannon Bubble manages to deal with it.

Speaking of similar games, nobody did Zuma for Spectrum, probably exactly due to problems with colour clash.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I love Puzzle Bobble, one of my top 4 favourite games! :D

Years ago I made an Amiga conversion:

(I never finished the game off, but it was playable, with all the graphics and audio complete.)

I also started making a BASIC Spectrum prototype (slow and incomplete):

Bolton80 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:03 am Wonder why no one's done it yet? I can't imagine colour clash would be a problem, since the bubbles are in a grid pattern.
Actually, no, the balls don't fit into a neat square grid:

So Spectrum conversions need to change the layout slightly to get it to work.
hikoki wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:14 am You can play Cannon Bubble
Cannon Bubble is excellent, but it's a far cry from Puzzle Bobble.
Timmy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:29 am Yeah, it's not particularly hard to port it. I still have a prototype lying somewhere.
As someone who found coding the game extremely tricky (in particular, working out which balls need to drop), I'm impressed!
Timmy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:29 am But I just didn't wanted to do another clone after I noticed someone else already done it.

I might change my mind though after these many years, but only when I have more time than I have now.
In terms of graphics or music I would very happily provide absolutely everything, or anything you needed.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Ralf wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:16 am Yes, colour clash may be a problem here but Cannon Bubble manages to deal with it.

Speaking of similar games, nobody did Zuma for Spectrum, probably exactly due to problems with colour clash.
It is not only about colours, you could replace colors by patterns and make it monochrome at all. But you also need to move quite lot of spheres (for sure more than 150) at good framerate and you want to compute collisions with all of them. Most likely one would need to reinvent the game to work with little less colors to keep good chances for chain even with lesser number of spheres on screen.
ZX Next should is probably better suited for such game.

Luxor, a similar game, is perhaps better adept for conversion.
Proud owner of Didaktik M