Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
desUBIKado
Microbot

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:52 am New test version available here.

This adds support for Sound Tracker Pro (.stp) music files. Debugging this new plugin also uncovered a bug introduced during the assembly rewrite which stopped the browser navigation keys moving to next, previous, first and last songs correctly during playback. This has been fixed.
Hi Bob, thanks for your great work on this application. I have detected that the ZX-Uno custom options are not being recorded in the slots.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:06 pm Hi Bob, thanks for your great work on this application. I have detected that the ZX-Uno custom options are not being recorded in the slots.
Does changing options from the main window still work - can you change the video timings, CPU speed etc? I don't suppose you know which version this stopped working in do you? Was is broken in the v0.24 release?
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:47 pm Does changing options from the main window still work - can you change the video timings, CPU speed etc? I don't suppose you know which version this stopped working in do you? Was is broken in the v0.24 release?
In the v0.24 release works fine.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:40 am In the v0.24 release works fine.
Does it work again in v0.99a4 if you replace the _UNO file in the BPLUGINS folder with the _UNO file from the v0.24 release?
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:27 pm Does it work again in v0.99a4 if you replace the _UNO file in the BPLUGINS folder with the _UNO file from the v0.24 release?
Dont work very well. System freezzy when i save configuration in slot 3 (maybe 3 minutes or more with red led on). Finally operation ends well. Works, but spent much time to save or create slot.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:27 pm Does it work again in v0.99a4 if you replace the _UNO file in the BPLUGINS folder with the _UNO file from the v0.24 release?
Yes, it works that way.
I didn't notice the issue, Desubikado describing...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

desUBIKado wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:25 am Dont work very well. System freezzy when i save configuration in slot 3 (maybe 3 minutes or more with red led on). Finally operation ends well. Works, but spent much time to save or create slot.
I tried saving and loading from the first four slots, there were no problems.
Maybe some sd card issue.
Try a clean install (esxdos+LFN browser), it might help.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:25 am Dont work very well. System freezzy when i save configuration in slot 3 (maybe 3 minutes or more with red led on). Finally operation ends well. Works, but spent much time to save or create slot.
I've just tried saving and loading slots with v0.99a4 on my ZX-UNO and didn't find any issues. Loading an existing slot (I have one for a Pentagon timings) set the correct video timings and contention. I also created a new slot which had x8 CPU turbo enabled and loaded it back in without issue. One thing I did notice was that you need to press ENTER after loading a slot to confirm the settings - otherwise they don't get applied.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:08 pm I've just tried saving and loading slots with v0.99a4 on my ZX-UNO and didn't find any issues. Loading an existing slot (I have one for a Pentagon timings) set the correct video timings and contention. I also created a new slot which had x8 CPU turbo enabled and loaded it back in without issue. One thing I did notice was that you need to press ENTER after loading a slot to confirm the settings - otherwise they don't get applied.
I think my problem was in my SD card, as Pegaz commented, and not in your program. Please accept my apologies.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:12 pm I think my problem was in my SD card, as Pegaz commented, and not in your program. Please accept my apologies.
No need to apologise. Was nice to revisit some demos that require Pentagon timings to check it was still working. :)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Hi @bob_fossil , I have a possible issue and a question.
It's a visual glitch that corrupts the first letter in the file name, when I scroll the file list with the right arrow, page by page.
In my case its a folder with a couple of dozen pzx files and when I press the right arrow several times and reach the end of the list, the first letter of only one file becomes corrupted.
I tried to delete that file, but the issue occurs again with the next file, always at the bottom page.
If I scroll in the standard way file by file, with the up/down arrow this does not happen, nor when I scroll the page up with the left arrow.
So far I have not been able to reproduce this issue in other folders with pzx or any other files, but in this particular folder of mine /Speccy/PZX/Custom Loaders/ it happens every time as described.

Second question is related to renaming files with SHIFT+R.
I tried in the mentioned Speccy folder to rename different tap files, which do not exceed 8 characters, but I always get an error message, that it only supports files in 8.3 format.
I tried renaming some other files in the root folder and it works fine.
What am I doing wrong?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:22 am Hi @bob_fossil , I have a possible issue and a question.
It's a visual glitch that corrupts the first letter in the file name, when I scroll the file list with the right arrow, page by page.
In my case its a folder with a couple of dozen pzx files and when I press the right arrow several times and reach the end of the list, the first letter of only one file becomes corrupted.
I tried to delete that file, but the issue occurs again with the next file, always at the bottom page.
If I scroll in the standard way file by file, with the up/down arrow this does not happen, nor when I scroll the page up with the left arrow.
So far I have not been able to reproduce this issue in other folders with pzx or any other files, but in this particular folder of mine /Speccy/PZX/Custom Loaders/ it happens every time as described.

Second question is related to renaming files with SHIFT+R.
I tried in the mentioned Speccy folder to rename different tap files, which do not exceed 8 characters, but I always get an error message, that it only supports files in 8.3 format.
I tried renaming some other files in the root folder and it works fine.
What am I doing wrong?
I'd need a .hdf file to debug the first issue. Or if you can make the folder available that glitches I can try and replicate the issue.

As for the second, I have encountered 8 character filenames that were stored using LFN due to special characters or formatting that couldn't be represented or allowed inside the 8.3 format. Again, I'd need a disk image to investigate further.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:56 pm I'd need a .hdf file to debug the first issue. Or if you can make the folder available that glitches I can try and replicate the issue.

As for the second, I have encountered 8 character filenames that were stored using LFN due to special characters or formatting that couldn't be represented or allowed inside the 8.3 format. Again, I'd need a disk image to investigate further.
Hi, Bob,
PM with my test image has been sent.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:00 pm Hi, Bob,
PM with my test image has been sent.
Thanks for the image.

The renaming code is worked as expected. Using my test program it appearsthat all but one of those files in your folder have long file names. The only 8.3 filename I can see is

Code: Select all

AMC-A.PZX
Even short filenames like

Cobra.pzx
Batman.pzx
Biff.pzx
have long filename representations, possibly due to the mix of upper and lower case characters.

I think the glitching in the list is down to a specific truncated filename overflowing the rightmost edge of the screen and drawing to a part of the screen it shouldn't. Need to debug this further to confirm.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:47 pm
Even short filenames like

Cobra.pzx
Batman.pzx
Biff.pzx
have long filename representations, possibly due to the mix of upper and lower case characters.
Thanks for the clarification, Bob.
I also tried a lot of files in the /SPECCY/TAP-FIX/ folder, but none of them could be renamed.
Does this explanation also apply to them ?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:01 am Thanks for the clarification, Bob.
I also tried a lot of files in the /SPECCY/TAP-FIX/ folder, but none of them could be renamed.
Does this explanation also apply to them ?
It's easier to list the files that are 8.3 in that folder. :)

ACE88-48.TAP
BLACKMA1.TAP
BLACKMA2.TAP
FOXFBACK.TAP
HADESNEB.TAP
KILLD128.TAP
ROADRUNN.TAP
STAR_V2.TAP 
TLL.TAP
YIEAR128.TAP
All the rest are LFN. Again, looks like mixed case spellings get converted to long file names to preserve the capitals.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

This should fix the reported graphics glitch when certain long filenames spill over the screen.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:08 pm New test version available here.

This should fix the reported graphics glitch when certain long filenames spill over the screen.
Tested last night, no issues so far, well done Bob. :)
btw, do you have any collection or examples of Sound Tracker Pro files ?
I'd like to test the .stp support we have now, but I can't seem to find it.
Xela
Drutt

Post by Xela »

Pegaz wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:43 pm test the .stp support we have now, but I can't seem to find it.
https://zxart.ee/eng/music/database/for ... pe:zxitem/
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Hi, I know about the 426 files-in-folder limit, but is there a limit on the number of folders themselves?

I'm currently struggling to put a large number of files on a vhd (~950 files in 275 directories, each of which has one subfolder).
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Hi @bob_fossil ,
Just tested spt files support and the playback quality is really good as before, but I was surprised by some graphic artifacts in music folders, when I use the up/down arrows during playback to go to the beginning or end of the file list.
After that, various visual effects occur (blank screen, inverted color lines or randomly drawn garphics garbage on the screen), etc.
Files list can be sometimes restored if I press esc and the left/right arrow, although sometimes this leads to a reset of the Spectrum core and a return to the home screen.
Its very easy to reproduce this (just play first song and press down arrow one or more times), it happens with a few dozen files in the folder, as well as with a few hundred.
I only tried this latest beta revision, I don't know how it behaves with earlier versions.
When music files are selected and played in order one by one up/down with the left/right arrow, then everything is fine.
Here are the examples I tested, so you can have an identical test environment. Cheers.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Just to mention, a little later I tested with the RVM emulator and the slightly older revision 0.25-3, but this issue is still there...
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

@Pegaz : which key acts as NMI button in RVM?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

akeley wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:59 pm @Pegaz : which key acts as NMI button in RVM?
The “home” key is the NMI trigger. I had to ask the author as it didn't seem to be documented anywhere!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:34 pm The “home” key is the NMI trigger. I had to ask the author as it didn't seem to be documented anywhere!
Thank you...yeah, it's odd how there's 0 documentation for a program with such a fancy presentation :)