TAP files for DivIDE/DivMMC

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: TAP files for DivIDE/DivMMC

Post by Alessandro »

Hi porga, I sent you a private message.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

A suggestion by goodboy made me find the way to fix the TAP image file of I, Ball so that the speech heard upon loading won't be distorted any more. The existing file has been therefore updated.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Several new additions:
  • Batman (Erbe version, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Pole Position (Atarisoft and Datasoft editions, both fixed for +2A/+3)
  • Fourth Protocol (from the +2A/+3 fix by jpnz)
  • Head Over Heels (Erbe/IBSA version, with corrected IM2 vector for full +2A/+3 compatibility; according to Philip Kendall, the TAP file on the SC/WOS archive is bugged and causes memory corruption when reaching Book World)
  • Konami's Ping Pong (+2A/+3 graphic corruption fixed by Velesoft)
  • Short Circuit (128K Hit Squad version, +2A/+3 compatible; made with Kobrahsoft SCU6)
Bolton80
Microbot

Post by Bolton80 »

Wasn't sure the best place to post this, copying it here too. Relating to Locomotion...

First the good news...
I found a version of Loco-Motion that works with DIVMMC/+2a combination

The Bad news...
It's in Russian! In the TOSEC it's called "Loco-Motion (1985)(Mastertronic)[tr ru].tap"
Is anyone out there able to apply the same fix to an English version of the game please?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Some new TAP files for you to play with :santa
  • Bride Of Frankenstein (from the bugfixed TZX file by Mr. Anonymous)
  • Locomotion (from a hack by nuggetreggae, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Mega-Bucks (from a hack by nuggetreggae, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Starfox (from a hack by nuggetreggae, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Werewolves Of London (from the bugfixed TZX file by Mr. Anonymous)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Another update.
  • Ricochet
  • Runestone (from the fixed version by jpnz, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Run For Gold (from the fixed version by nuggetreggae, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Skyfox (from the fixed version by jpnz, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Trojan (pre-production, the game was never completed for release; loading screen by r0bat)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

More files:
  • Abu Simbel Profanation (Gremlin Graphics English translation; fixed for Issue 3 and later Spectrums)
  • Alien Syndrome (TAP file from the WOS/SC archives integrated with Bandit's bug fix for possible screen corruption and crashes in level 3; level data blocks after the main program are in this order: 2, 3, 1, 2, 3)
  • Geoff Capes Strongman Challenge (taken from Sinclair Game Compilation, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Knight Tyme 48K (taken from Sinclair User Megatape 10, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Spellbound 48K (taken from Sinclair User Megatape 10, +2A/+3 compatible)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Some new files for you to play with :)
  • Great Gurianos (working and modified with Mr. Anonymous's fix to make the final enemy vulnerable)
  • Killed Until Dead (128 KB-only; from an all-in-one Z80 file)
  • Navy Moves 128 (from the +3 disk version)
  • Psycho Hopper (bug fixes by Bad Beard applied; memory paging disabled before the loader program to ensure compatibility with the DivIDE/DivMMC's native USR0 mode)
  • West Bank (Original Spanish Dinamic edition, taken from Los 40 Principales Vol. 8; bug fixes by Luzie, GReW and Bandit applied)
  • West Bank (Gremlin Graphics English translation, based on the TAP file found on the WOS archive; same bug fixes as the Dinamic edition)
  • Yie Ar Kung-Fu 128 (modified with Archie Robin's fix for +2A/+3 compatibility)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Yet more files.
  • Black Magic (password for part 2 removed)
  • Metro Cross (from the fixed version by Ast A. Moore, no system reset on level 5 on the +2A/+3)
  • Metro Cross (from the 128 mod by Slider and Tiboh with AY music from the Amstrad version; fixes suggested by bob fossil and Ast A. Moore applied - no snow effect on the 128/+2, no system reset on level 5 on the +2A/+3)
  • Road Runner (US Gold) (128 all-in-one; fixed for the +2A/+3)
  • Star Wars (alternate version with sound effects)
  • Tank Assault (alternate version of NATO Assault, +2A/+3 compatible)
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

The TAP version of Action Force II is an unofficial hack that adds AY music by Fuxxoft, but destroys 128K multicolour timing (48K multicolour is ok).

The TZX and DSK are official versions with working multicolour but no AY music.

Alessandro's TAP files for DivIDE/DivMMC collection contains a TAP version made from the TZX, but again without the AY music.

Is it possible to rework a version with AY music plus working multicolour, packaged as a TAP?
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Versions with AY music and effects in the TAP collection are taken from "unofficial" fan-made mods (or better said, cracks), with such content taken from other versions (usually for the Amstrad CPC), as specified in their description.

My policy is not to consider mods where original (i.e. not coming from other versions of the same game) AY sound was added. This is the case with this fan-made mod of Action Force II. Therefore I am not going to make anything with it, sorry.
Bolton80
Microbot

Post by Bolton80 »

Is it possible to make a more user friendly copy of The Rats for DIVMMC? Using the available patch, side 1 and side 2 I have all kinds of problems getting it to load on my +2a. The only way I can get it to work is by loading a z80 of the patched first part of the game that I created on an emulator and then 'insert' to tap files for the rest of the game. Very fiddly! Any help appreciated.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi @Bolton80, try this file of Side A. I am not familiar with this game so I cannot tell whether it runs as expected or not.

http://disegnareconlaluce.altervista.org/Rats-test.zip
Bolton80
Microbot

Post by Bolton80 »

Hi @Alessandro. Tested the file and it seems to work. Slightly unusual loading after the rat attack intro, but may be normal (can't remember). I would say this one is fixed. Thank you!
segasonicfan
Drutt

Post by segasonicfan »

@Alessandro Thank you so much!! This is amazing. I have a +2A and DivMMC I imported for a hefty fee of P&P to the USA and noticed so many games dont work :(
N00b question: where can I read about what the difference is between TAP / Z80 / TZX?

Id love to play Redshift and Fantasy Zone with music...Redshift crashed after about 5min playing and Fantasy Zone crashes as soon as level starts.

Thanks for your efforts to improve the compatibility! This is really, really cool! :dance

-Segasonicfan
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi @segasonicfan,

if you wish to know everything about Spectrum file formats, I cannot but recommend you my Spectrumpedia. You will find all the information you need written in a concise and exhaustive way in Vol. 2, Chapter 2, pages 229-246. The link to download a free PDF copy is in my signature.

I hope you shall find it interesting, and enjoy also the rest of the book (including Vol. 1) :)

P.S. I am looking into the issues about the two titles you mentioned. Redshift is compatible, I remember playing it on the +2A.
segasonicfan
Drutt

Post by segasonicfan »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:42 am Hi @segasonicfan,

if you wish to know everything about Spectrum file formats, I cannot but recommend you my Spectrumpedia. You will find all the information you need written in a concise and exhaustive way in Vol. 2, Chapter 2, pages 229-246. The link to download a free PDF copy is in my signature.

I hope you shall find it interesting, and enjoy also the rest of the book (including Vol. 1) :)

P.S. I am looking into the issues about the two titles you mentioned. Redshift is compatible, I remember playing it on the +2A.
Thanks! Ill go read now - what a cool resource :)
Redshift is "compatible" - until it crashes 5 minutes in. It requires playing for a little while...also it's a .TAP file.
Fantasy Zone Escape from the Pyramid only works without in-game music, perhaps there are multiple .TAP files of this one for that reason. 'tis a bummer though, I love the music in that game!

EDIT: @Alessandro wrote both volumes...700+ pages all about speccy :shock: :o :o :shock:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

segasonicfan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:03 amFantasy Zone Escape from the Pyramid only works without in-game music, perhaps there are multiple .TAP files of this one for that reason.
Correct: you have to load the files marked as "128" in fact.
segasonicfan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:03 amEDIT: @Alessandro wrote both volumes...700+ pages all about speccy :shock: :o :o :shock:
Yes, but it has to be said, with the invaluable help of the people thanked in the book 8-)
segasonicfan
Drutt

Post by segasonicfan »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:15 am Correct: you have to load the files marked as "128" in fact.
but what if I want the in-game music :''( I want to play the version that crashes...does it play on your +2A with in game music?

I realized, if you are at a pub sometime you can literally say "oh, ZX Spectrum? Yeah, I wrote the book on that!" :P
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Many new files for this update :dance
  • ACE 2088 (48K)
  • Ali Baba (from the fixed version by Metalbrain, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Battle Of Britain (Classic Conflicts release, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Bedlam (IBSA release, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Blasteroids (MCM release, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Bubble Bobble (Musical 1 release, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Dynamite Dan II (128-only, modified version with AY sound by Lanex)
  • Edd The Duck (from the bug fixed version by Mr. Anonymous)
  • Eliminator (bug fixes by Mr. Anonymous applied)
  • Encyclopaedia Galactica Remixed V1.2 (bug fixed)
  • Fire On The Water (from the fixed version by nuggetreggae, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Flight From The Dark (from the fixed version by nuggetreggae, +2A/+3 compatible)
  • Flying Shark (based upon the 128 mod by Goodboy, Slider and Tiboh with AY music and sound effects from the Amstrad version; fix suggested by bob fossil applied - no snow effect on the 128/+2; plays beeper music and sound effects as the original Firebird release on the 48K)
  • Frank N Stein (from the fixed version by Einar Saukas)
  • Frightmare 128 (Zafiro release, +2A/+3 compatible; bug fixed by Metalbrain)
  • Netherworld (from the bug fixed version by Ast A. Moore)
  • Ninja (from the bug fixed version by Einar Saukas)
  • Renaud (Spanish translation of Sidewalk; from the bug fixed version by Metalbrain)
  • Tomahawk (Byte Back release, +2A/+3 compatible)
In addition to that, the Run For Gold TAP file has been changed because the previous one showed some compatibility problems.
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

@Alessandro Would you know if a DIVMMC-compatible tap conversion of Ghosts 'n' Goblins exists?

I can find working tzx files but the tzxtools tzxtap utility creates a tap file which works under emulation but doesn't when copied to a DIVMMC.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi @8BitSC,

I tried to create a working TAP file myself but was unable to make it.

To my experience, it is better to save a SNA snapshot file under your favorite emulator upon loading and use that instead. Sorry (for that and for the late reply as well).
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

I made a +3e conversion that worked fine and could be easily converted to TAP.

BTW, Ghost's n Goblins is encrypted and NEEDS an original 48k ROM to decrypt. So if you are using a 128k, it won't work even if you load in 48k mode (the sympton was that it loaded, but hang on the menu screen with a few flashing coloured blocks). When I made my TAP file, I saved the game when it was fully decrypted so it didn't had that problem.

Maybe your TAP is OK, but your configuration is not.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

Please, try to use this disk. The game is divided into 4 files:
- GNG.BAS is the BASIC loader. It should work as is, but you may change the LOAD instructions to delete the file names (and that PAUSE 200 instruction).
- GNG.SCR is the original game loading screen.
- GNG.1 is the code already encrypted.
- GNG.2 is a "boot" routine that ensures the computer is on the right memory map (needed for a +3), locks into 48k mode, and jump into the game. It seems that have some corrupt bytes, but it works fine.

Maybe I could do that tape later...